2012 Ford Focus

Available in 7 styles:  2012 Ford Focus 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

horrible car.,horrible dealership people

by rinz…lloyd sk. from lloydminster saskatchewan,canada | October 23, 2014

i got my focus 2 yrs. ago. after a year a noticed a shaking, window not working in -10 degrees. but the more worst part is..the dealership people will tell me its normal… DONT BUY FORD FOCUS,,, people handling on warranty service …i don't know the word to describe them.

I love my Focus with a manual transmission

by Love 2 Drive from New Jersey | September 29, 2014

I have a 2012 SE hatchback manual w/ sport package that I bought new. It is a blast to drive. It felt more solid and stable that the Mazda 3 or Golf. The traction control is amazing in snow. I drive it every day and have averaged 33MPG overall. It has cool features such as disabling the radio when it senses that the battery is being depleted if the car is not running, and it automatically turns on the rear wiper when you have the front wipers on and put the car in reverse. Not a bit of trouble with it!

Good car for the Money

by Ford from Somers New York | August 30, 2014

Purchased car for daughter attending college. Roomy and comfortable. Little quirky with transmission, but is needs to adjust to her drin=ving habits. Would recommend.

Great car for young lady

by Dad from Frisco, TX | August 21, 2014

Our daughter bought this car for work/college and needs reliable and fuel efficient transportation. This car even looks good to her! And the cloth seats are very nice - not a big step back from leather. Had a mechanic check everything out (car had about 40K miles) and everything is great. Microsoft Sync is really cool and sound system is great. Overall a superior electronics package. I would buy a Ford again. I've owned an Expedition for 14 yrs and the Focus and Fusion are also great cars.

Don't buy this car

by Mark from Guam | August 19, 2014

I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus Sedan for my son. It was great for the first year. Now we are having problems with the transmission. The car hesitates and sputters during acceleration. I have taken the vehicle numerous times to the dealership for the same problem. The service department wants to keep the car all day. I asked if I can have a loaner to use. They said I can rent a car for $35 a day while they try and fix my car. I told the service rep. that it's a recall problem not my fault. He said they don't have loaners....don't buy Ford.

Disappointment vs other cars

by Realistic Roadster from Las Vegas, NM | August 16, 2014

My 2012 Ford Focus SE was a car I totally fell in Love with. But as soon as 2 to 3 weeks into my new car I immediately noticed transmission problems. I called the dealership about it, they said I probably got bad gas, so add some gas treatment. Wrong? Almost 2 yrs. later, though I took my car in for all oil changes and so on, continuously told them about my concern. Well it finally crooked on me about 4 months ago and 1700.00 out of my pocket to fix the clutch. I didn't agree w/ myself having to pay for it, but they really didn't care. What a battle! Because I had over 50,000 miles already and had by passed the warranty coverage. Yet where I had to take my car in to get repaired told me that they do 4 to 5 cars per month just like mine. I would not buy Ford again based on my experience with the dealership and this vehicle. It is starting to only get worse and have more issues in less than 2 years. I am on this website because I need to find a more reliable vehicle.

Fun-to-drive, efficient, quirky

by Francobry from Kansas City, MO | July 14, 2014

Heeding the warnings of the press, I avoided the dual-clutch automatic when purchasing my Focus Titanium two years ago. In that time, I've accumulated 28k mostly trouble-free miles, averaged 31 MPG and grown accustomed to the many quirks of this vehicle. MyFordTouch was a huge disappointment immediately after purchase. Fortunately, Ford remedied the litany of consumer complaints in a impressively swift manner. It seems that the system operates without fault today. Even though I chose the manual transmission, I still have issues with shuddering when releasing the clutch and engaging the engine from a stop. This makes me believe that the lack of smoothness in automatics is likely exacerbated by poor engine mount tuning. Nonetheless, the manual is very well done and super easy to drive. I do wish the car were quieter. I often have trouble using the Bluetooth phone connection when making calls and the wind noise can grow tiresome on long trips. Speaking of trips, gas mileage varies wildly based on weather (wind and rain cause significant drops) and occupant load. I've had highway trips return as high as 41 MPG in perfect conditions or as low as 27 in adverse scenarios; I wish the car were more consistent. Other annoyances including a rattly and buzzy interior, loud cabin fan, poor rear seat space, a complete lack of cabin storage and noisy front suspension. If you can look past these shortcomings, the car does return a great deal of driving fun with confident road manners and mostly peppy acceleration. It also has surprisingly comfortable seats. In the end, I'm pleased with the balance of value, comfort and driving fun. The other annoyances are easily tuned out by the Sony sound system.

No problems after 3 years and 50,000 miles

by Timothy A from Juneau WI | July 1, 2014

I've had my Focus for 3 years and really love it. I've had no tranny issues with the automatic trans. The engine is peppy and gets 34 mpg city and 40 mgp highway, but I do drive it in an economical way. The race red is just a popping hot color and I love the body shape. The interior is roomy enough and comfy, I stuff 3 teenagers in the back and they haven't killed each other yet. There are some negatives.....the cloth seats stain really easily, even with just a water bottle perspiring on it. The tires wore out after 36,000 miles though they had a 50,000 mile warranty. I have subsequently read this car is hard on tires. The foam that covers the speakers in the rear dash has completely disintegrated. The Sync doesn't always get along with the iPod, which is very irritating. When the vent is on cold, but not running the a/c, the air is way too warm, we just have to run the ac then. The radio is cheap, the am stations don't come in very well and the volume is not calibrated very well, going from 4 to 5 the volume increase is way too much. The main reason I bought the car for the economy and looks, and there is has delivered no problem. There are some annoying issues, but I wasn't expecting a Lincoln performance inside the car.

terrible

by GUY WHO HATES HIS CAR from NEW YORK | June 23, 2014

what everyone here is saying is the truth. do not buy this car. transmission issue that makes stopping and going feel like turbulence in an airplane. was something i dealt with till now. it gets worse as the car ages. now i don't just shutter, the car doesn't move till about 2 seconds after i touch the gas pedal. AVOID THIS CAR AT ALL COSTS

Good value

by Whiz kid from Knoxville TN | June 20, 2014

My 2012 focus SFE has 48k miles now and I still love it. It's mileage is fantastic with a realistic 38-40 highway in Tennessee area. The radio is very sensitive and has all the features I need. Seats are very comfortable. I suspect it'll be a very dependable car over the long haul. Cons. Early model with headrests that don't adjust front to back. Sync is pathetic and connecting ipod is sometimes a chore. wish they used wet clutches and hydraulic mechanisms as the shifting is poor. I'm tearing the weatherstripping on door post when I get in due to slope of entry but if I weighed less that wouldn't be a problem.