2013 Ford Focus

Starting MSRP

Overall

2 for 2 on transmission replacement

by billybob from Opelika AL | September 23, 2014

With both of our older daughters moving off several hours away to different colleges, we were looking for good reliable transportation so that we could be confident in reliability on the road. We bought both of them a 2013 Ford Focus. A year later, and less than 30,000 miles on each car, we have had to have both transmissions replaced in each. My oldest daughter's car went into the shop for the 3rd time before they decided to just replace it. My middle daughter's is in the shop now being replaced. My oldest daughter called yesterday and said the transmission started making noise and acting funny again. Good looking cars? Yes! But now we are faced with trying to get out of these cars and into something else. Could not recommend the focus to anyone.

Beautiful car, beautiful fuel economy.

by Johnny from Long Island New York | September 20, 2014

We have had this car for about a year and a half now. We did have a jumpy transmission at first. It seems to have dissipated after many long road trips. We were disappointed with the transmission, but absolutely loved everything else about the car. It has a beautiful interior, great exterior, plenty of power. Handling is crisp and precise. But it is the gas mileage that won us over. We have gotten 43 mpg twice on long trips and never anything less than 37mpg running the air. We can go 255 miles on $20 bucks. Ford should really fix than jumpy transmission and they would win over a lot of foreign car owners. ( we run mobile one oil in the car )

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR

by FPL from atlanta, ga | September 19, 2014

I disposed of my 2013 Ford Focus on 9-15-14 at a loss. I experienced all of the transmission issues already mentioned including almost getting struck when entering an intersection and the transmission simply stopped giving forward movement. I was always told it is suppose to run like that. At a 35000 mile oil change I was told a seal between the transmission and engine had failed an oil had leaked from the engine. It was repaired and I was then told about a surprise extended warranty on the part and associated parts from Ford only Ford did not say anything until a week after the repair. All of the shuddering eventually started back up again and on 9-14-14 I noticed a burnt rubber smell from the car. I realized it had always been burning rubber but I always convinced myself it was another vehicle next to mine. Mine was new and it couldn't be mine. I strongly recommend against buying a Ford Focus.

Worse Car I've Ever Owned

by Helen Bee from Windsor, Ontario, Canada | September 13, 2014

This would be a great car if Ford would own up to the transmission problems and actually fix it. I've had it in several times and was told there's nothing wrong with it. A new car shouldn't shudder and shake, or bog and then jump forward when it finally decides to shift. I have driven Ford vehicles for 30 years but this will be my last. Very disappointed.

Ford Focus

by Last time ford owner from Little Rock, AR | September 5, 2014

Don't buy this car it's the 2013 version of the Ford Edsel If you buy this car, you will end up taking your car in multiple times due to excessive transmission clutch shudders. This vehicle is a DEATH TRAP and Ford will have no problem taking your payments and tell you there is nothing wrong with you car!

Don't Buy This Car

by Sarah Lee from La Quinta, Ca | September 2, 2014

I've had so many problems with this car. I have two separate issues with the AC. First, instead of the AC turning in, the defroster will turn on no matter what setting I have the knob on. Secondly, the AC will blow HOT air when I turn it on. I've waited over 10 minutes for it to cool down, and it doesn't. I have taken it in twice for these problems and they "cannot be replicated." My driver and driver side back door have both opened while I was driving. The have been fixed, but with the same faulty latches that the car came with. Lastly, the transmission. The say I bought it, I noticed the hard shifting, but I figured the tranny needed to be broken in. I've taken it in several times for the transmission shutter. While driving uphill, the car will sometimes roll backward. Also, the paint on my car isn't smooth, it looks uneven. The USB port and auxiliary port don't always work. The auxiliary port is super quiet. This is the third Focus I've had (2002, 2008) and I've never had an issue before this model year. I never thought I would hate my car as much as I do.

Biggest mistake I ever did!!!!!

by Coco from Quebec | August 30, 2014

Got the ford focus on August 20th 2013 has little over 9000km on it and like most started hearing grinding sounds from the transmission I had terrible service from the dealer even wrote ford canada.3 weeks later still no response what a terrible company don't care about their clients that was the last straw just traded it in for a subaru took a big hit with the buyout never again an American car I own 2004 legacy never a problem I blame myself lesson learned the hard way I just what to warn everybody out there STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR!!! AND STAY AWAY FROM FORD!!!

Overall poorly built.

by Disappointed 2012 Focus SE owner from New Jersey | August 29, 2014

I've had rear taillight reseated because it kept popping out. Had both tailights at the trunk lid replaced because water would leak in. Foam under rear glass disintegrated and had to be replaced. Leak from outside trim or moonroof, headliner and carpeting had to be replaced. Transmission clutches and seals replaced TWICE. Some other issues. Car is just the worst car I have ever purchased.

Transmission Disaster

by Without A Car... from Los Angeles, CA | August 28, 2014

I have taken my 2013 Ford Focus in 3 times for the transmission, the third time as a result of my car DYING on the 405 freeway during rush hour in Los Angeles. It went from grinding and bucking, which Ford told me was normal for my car's style of transmission, to completely stalling- leaving me on the side of the road waiting for a tow. To date the car has been at Ford for service over 3 weeks- with the parts on back order; a sign that this problem isn't an isolated incident.

Ford Focus Clutch "Chatter"

by Frustrated from Birdsboro Pa | August 27, 2014

We own a 2013 Ford Focus in Boyertown Pa. and within 2 months we noticed a "stuttering"problem when we accelerated. Took it in twice only to be told that they could not find anything but they made recalibrated the computer. On August 14, 2014 we received a letter letting us know that our vehicle may possibly for the PowerShift 6-speed automatic transmission to exhibit excessive transmission clutch shudder during light acceleration. We made an appointment, which they had no record of when we arrived, and proceeded to tell my husband that it was not a recall and it may only take 15 minutes for a tech to test drive it so we would not require a rental. At that point my husband explained that the "test drive" was performed twice in the past and they found nothing. Today Ford removed the transmission, replaced the clutch and seals. They noted that after re-installing the transmission, "Performed adaptive learning and monitored slippage again after road testing the vehicle. Slippage is under Ford specifications, transmission tested OK at this time." When we purchased the Focus, no one told us that we would experience "Slippage", but it was under Ford Specifications. This entire experience is frustrating and we are very disillusioned. Hope this helps anyone who is thinking about buying this vehicle.