2013 Ford Focus

2013 Ford Focus

Available in 5 styles:  2013 Ford Focus 4dr Sedan shown
Starting MSRP

Overall

This car is small, drivetrain not made in America

by BIGMANJB from California | August 13, 2014

Transmission failed 33k miles. Drivetrain not made in America. Small interior made for shortys controls awkward and lacking feel. material used on basic seats stains just by looking at it. Overall a horrible design and functions bad would not recomend not even for a fleet car. Obviously a thrown together car for sales only, probably some furd exec made a corp decision to make this rehab of the horrible car. That guy needs to be fired!

Stay Away From This Car!

by Miss Caroline from Texas | July 27, 2014

I have owned my Focus Titanium Hatchback for 1 1/2 years now, having bought it new. It now has just over 17,000 miles on it, and just like the other reviewers, I have major transmission issues. The car jerks, lurches, and shudders at low speeds when it is shifting. It sounds like someone has put pennies in a garbage disposal. First, Ford has tried to tell me that the car needed breaking in, then that it was " normal" for the car to respond the way it does. The third time back to the dealership I was told there was a technical service bulletin out on it, and a "fix" was performed. I was also told this time that it was normal for it to "cycle" between gears at low speeds "as when driving through a parking lot." Well, guess what? The problems continue and I now have another appointment to take it back in. As long as it is under warranty Ford is responsible for the fixes, but what about when the warranty expires? You got it, it's all on my dime, then. I'm getting rid of it and buying a Honda this month!

Least Valued Car I have owned

by Experienced Car Owner from Rochester, NY | July 19, 2014

I have owned many cars, including a Ford Escort many years ago and this car is so far my least favorite. I have the same transmission problems others have mentioned and have already had it replaced. It is now making strange noises and the car is barely 1 year old. For some reason it does not handle well in snow and I was unable to get up my driveway many times last winter (a first!). My next door neighbor who has the exact same car had the same problem. I bought a set of brand new tires for $300 and it did not handle better in the snow with the better tires. The mileage is not as good as I hoped; I hover @ 28-30 mpg I am pretty unhappy with this car and have a long way to go to pay it off!

love it!!

by surferchuck from the beach FL | July 16, 2014

bought used with 11.5 K miles so far so good..the tranny is a bit different but getting used to it...thuis is my 4th FORD (2 Rangers 1 Bronco II) this is a smooth quiet good looking ride with good gas mileage..i also have a 03 Ranger EDGED with 89K miles that has been flawless..fuel pump recently died after 11 yrs..that it...now im a proud 2 FORD owner...plan on having the Focus for a long time...sorry some folks don't like theirs..im happy!!

Rental Car Rodeo

by dm554 from Sunnyvale CA | July 11, 2014

Started with a red 2013 Ford Fiesta (25K miles) during our 25th Anniversary vacation on Oahu. Transmission was a bit shaky but we were able to get the car off the lot. Later, we headed up Pali highway between Kailua and Honolulu in stop and go traffic. That brought out beast! As traffic inched forward, I would apply some throttle . . . nothing, some more, a lurch forward, uh oh, car head, slam on the brake! Try more throttle, less throttle, nothing is working. My wife is clutching the door with white knuckles , as other motorists look at us and shake their heads in disbelief as we ride the wild bronco up the hill!. We went straight to the rental agency and had the car replaced with a 2014 Nissan Versa with a CVT. Not great, but a welcome relief. A few days later, after a hike to Waimanili Falls, I come back to find the Versa window smashed in, the trunk popped open, and an officer waiting -- break in! Back to the rental car agency for another car. I'm assigned a car in stall #23. As I walk that direction I see a red car -- uh oh. Closer, yes it is in stall #23. Oh no. But wait, it is 2013 Ford Focus. Well, it IS a different model . . . turn on the key, 21K miles . . . I've got a bad feeling about this . . .. OK out of the lot, but as soon as we head back up Pali highway toward Kailua -- the bucking bronco reappears! Well, only one more day left on vacation and I'm tired of driving to the rental agency, so I'll tough it out. Back at the cottage in Kailua, a quick Google on "Ford Focus" and "transmission", and the term "dual clutch" appears. Ah, everything is clear now. The dual clutch ekes out a few more mpg over a standard torque converter -- good, because you can apply the tiny gas savings toward the transmission that you will most assuredly be replacing. Back home to the 2013 Camry, oh how I love my Toyota. It is so good to be home!

Transmission

by Ron and Linda from Ohio | June 26, 2014

Have a 2013 and I am setting at my good ford dealer waiting on y my 3rd transmission in a year. It's a shame cause I get excellent gas mileage whether in the city or highway. Will not recommend

Stylish Car, Horrible Transmission

by Lead Foot from Hamilton ,ON | June 25, 2014

I've had this car for about a year now with 78,000 km on it. I bought it used and sales man never advised me of the "automatic clutch". I've never been so frustrated with a transmission and the dealership. I have driven standard cars before and it feels like a first time driver attempting to switch gears. It stalls and crunches just before acceleration. Every time I sent it into service, Ford said "it is normal and needs an update". Overall, the car is super stylish and great on gas but the transmission was the worst idea Ford has ever come up with.

Gotta know how to drive it

by BennieO from Berkshire Co, Mass | June 23, 2014

I rented one of these over the weekend. At first, I was horrified by the way it performed. I was sure somebody had trashed the tranny. Then I listened. This is a SIX SPEED transmission! It uses every gear in order to get the best mileage possible. If you learn to cooperate with the car instead of listening to your first stick shift, you can have an enjoyable ride. Here's where I got messed up in the beginning and I'm convinced you are too: The engine revs much higher than you expect and you let off on the accelerator. This causes the car to lurch forward. Then you press again. The cycle continues... A steady or slightly increasing pressure gives a smooth curve, but you MUST ignore the tachometer and your ears. When you want to stop accelerating, let off the gas completely. By doing this and using the cruise control as much as possible, I was able to achieve 38 MPG driving through winding, mountainous country roads (according to the car - on the last leg I refilled, drove 71 miles and filled again - 1.28g - you do the math). BTW, on that last leg I passed people 3 times on roads that require you to accelerate hard to pass. Learn the car and it will be good to you.

Same issues as most-only 16k miles

by Ambo from Columbus, OH | June 12, 2014

I just bought my focus about 2 months ago. It only had 15k miles on it. During test drive I noticed the jerking & mentioned it to salesman. Like all the others, I got the reply "it's normal, it will "break in" around 20k". I've never had a ford, their cars used to be junk, but I've had multiple people tell me they've come a long way. I liked the car & it was a good deal, so I figured I'd go for it. After 2 months of driving-No-this is not normal. It is like driving a standard...if you didn't know how to drive one. I got a new card for dependability. Now I'm not even sure I can rely on this one. I'm very curious if running the E85 has anything to do with the performance? I'm sure more run regular unleaded, I have been using the E85, about to switch to unleaded to test the theory. Have a feeling it won't make a difference.

Great car-minor issues

by NOLA_Love from Kansas City, KS | June 12, 2014

I bought this car in April 2013 and I've only had one issue with it. It was shuddering and making grinding noises so I took it into my Ford dealership. They told me it was a recall issue with the clutch. I had no idea about this being a recall. They put a new clutch in and so far so good. I have 13,000 miles on it and other than the clutch issue I've had no other problems. It does seem to drive more like a manual even though it is an automatic. Love all the options that come with it...especially SYNC.