2014 Ford Focus

Available in 5 styles:  2014 Ford Focus 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

2014 Focus SE

by Scooby in San Antonio from San Antonio | February 1, 2016

I bought this car as an upgrade to a much loved and cared for 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 hatchback with standard transmission. I am an emotionally invested car owner who did not want to give up her car because it was old and outdated. But with the new "hands-free" laws my hubby was adamant about upgrading to a new vehicle. We purchase a new 2015 Toyota Rav4 Limited with all the bells and whistles and I, surprisingly, loved all the new technology. I decided maybe it was time to retire my much loved ZX3 with only 74,000 original owner miles on it. I drove the 2014 Focus SE and noticed instantly the shuddering from a stop. However, reading how they changed the transmission, I realized "I" needed to change the way I drive. You see, I baby my cars. But you really need to just drive this car. Put a little more on the gas. There is a great article I read on the new Ford transmission and how it operates. I also know if anything should go wrong or I have any questions I can just take it back to the dealership and they will fix it. I am pleased that Ford is backing said transmission for 100,000 miles (not that I will even come close to that number). For a run-around car that won't see a lot of miles this car is exactly what my family needs. Lots of room and just enough technology to keep me in compliance with local laws regarding hands-free phone and text. l have relied on Ford since my first one, a 1988 Ford Festiva (yes, I bought brand new) and they have not disappointed. Just my two cents worth.

2014 focus.

by dean from Biloxi Mississippi | January 28, 2016

I bought a Focus for commuting and at first I liked the car. We'll it started to act up with shuddering and a fault code misfire. I took it back to Ford and they called and said they drove it and it works fine. So I picked it up and it didn't drive fine, so I took it back. Same same I kept taking it back and finally they fixed it. The transmission module was bad and the number two coil also bad. Just keep taking it back, they'll get tired of seeing you.

Watch out for transmission issues

by Disappointed from Cincinnati, OH | December 2, 2015

I bought a 2014 Titanium model. It was a comfortable car with lots of nice features (Sync, keyless start, heated seats, backup camera, etc). In mixed driving I probably averaged around 30-31 MPG. So the vehicle is mostly good. The one glaring negative is the dual clutch automatic transmission. My vehicle started having clutch slippage around 7500 miles. Basically, it would be "jerky" on takeoff, and sometimes on the shift from 1st to 2nd. Do some research and you'll find this problem has been around since 2012 with no real fix. The transmission warranty has been extended by the manufacturer. That wasn't good enough for me...I traded mine in for something (hopefully) more reliable. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone until a permanent fix is offered for the transmission problems.

A car with preformance

by Avid Flyer from Medford, Or. | November 24, 2015

First 10,000 miles had to put in two quarts of oil, after that Not burning a drop, this is a Ford and all Fords I have owned have done this. The stock tires on this car are good at handling but get noisy after 15,000 miles on older roads, replace the tires at a cost of $800.00 all good now noise level down to 40 decibels while driving before tire change it ran about 80 to 90 decibels. Drove over 500 miles on a tank of gas that's 11.5 gallon fuel tank but have got better but no one would believe it, Going up hill it drives better than some cars equipped with a V-8. I have had It in the shop for a couple of minor things was in and out in about a hour, I have a automatic and it was acting nuts once in a while so they reprogramed the computer and no problems since. I got the Titanium model just wish it had all wheel drive, the 2016 does have it but not the duel turbo charged motor that they have in Europe. Drove 5000 miles in one week and still felt comfortable each day. The navigation system has hung up a couple of times and when I really needed it, so if you have a problem and can't get it to work reset it and lose all your stored information and start over calling the company did not do me any good. Stay away from the highway in Las Vegas that goes by area 51 cause that's where I had trouble, after that no more problems with the Nav. system. Back to the tires I had 30K on them when I finally couldn't take it anymore and sprung for new rubber but could of got another 30K out of them so be Sure you don't have the cheep tires on the car you buy be sure to road test you car 10 miles on roads to see if you can handle the noise level, the noise level wont show up till 55 MPH and on bad roads so make sure you go on a freeway that you drive all the time to make sure your Ok with the noise level. Had some issues with the key FOB but took care of that myself by replacing the battery. For those of you who don't make your payments on time this one can be shut down remotely and if you do a crime in this car they will find you! This is not a car for someone who's paranoid! but after 2015 all cars will be this way anyway. One small thing was the passenger seat was not electric and was a small bummer but on big deal. My wife who is 4FT8 Ins can drive this car because of all the seat movement and I can back it way off so I can drive it 6'2 225 lbs. boy is tight. This car comes with the following, remote start remote lock unlock heated seats electric mirrors 200 watt sound system with touch screen controls with CD player and RCA jack inputs also has two USB inputs for charging or playing things on your Ipad or tablet, tilt steering lumbar back support heated front seats rear window lock control on driver side and big trunk for a small car. I have the 6 speed auto it has a paddle shift of the side of the gear shift knob if you like to manually shift and it has traction control with it which is nice in slippery driving conditions. Fog lights come standard. I drove this car up to 100 MPH and its rock solid on the road I have the hatch back I had a 2013 Ford focus sedan and at 90 was shifty on the road so if you do high speed be aware of this for the sedan. Drove in 8 Western States with no problems what so ever at the higher speeds allowed in States like Texas Idaho Nevada or Colorado. This is a good car for anyone, if you are buying for a teenager be sure they are responsible drivers this car is quick, it's not a corvette but its not even being close to the pinto or the 1980's mustang with 4 cylinder engine.

Beatiful Liar

by Disgruntled Consumer from Springfield, IL | November 18, 2015

The check engine light came on after a few months which turned out to be a cylinder misfiring and they had a recall for a part. After the shop did their repairs my car averages only 25 miles per gallon period... I took the car back in for repairs and they gave me a list of things that's going to go wrong, and that completely normal for this car. I never would have purchased this car if they would have gave me this list before my purchase.. this should be posted on the window of every car...

Awesome Economy and reliability.

by EconoMan from Vienna, VA | September 24, 2015

At 37,000 miles I haven't had any problems. I average 36 mpg. I get well above 40 on the highway. I once drove 55 mph to see what economy I could get and I broke 50 mpg. The only trouble I had was with one of the electronic buttons on the steering wheel. My car was the manual transmission.

Complaint

by Economy Car Blessing from Live in danville,va | August 29, 2015

I wasn't asked to test drive the car. Had i test drove it first before purchasing it i would have questioned the jerking motion that it has when you stop for traffic lights and how it sounds like it's the wrong gear when you first crank it up and proceed up a slight inclinement. Sounds like it's in low instead of drive. When i asked about it when i had my first oil change i was told that's normal. Sounds like it has transmission issues.

Great for price

by Mathias from Middleton NS | August 20, 2015

Bought a 2014 Focus a little over a year ago. I got the 2.0 with 5 speed manual. I've racked up 50,000kms and get great mileage 33.6mpg average since I owned it. and get better then advertised when on a long haul on the highway. I've had no issues with this car mechanically although the stock tires I got on it wore down very fast and everything in the front end is still tight. Other then that no complaints at all great car for the price!

Daily Commuter Car

by 2014 Ford Focus from Gaithersburg, MD | June 23, 2015

I bought a new Ford Focus 2014, now with 15,000 miles, for two reason: put gas on it, and change oil every 5000 miles. Today, I have to bring the only car a have for a diagnostic cause the transmision make some funny shaking.I was there for less a 3 minutes and another customer was there with the same, same problem in the same type of car and year. Dealer service showed be aware of this problem with this type of car. My purpose is to alert anyone interested in this type of car comes from the factory with this problem. I ask Ford Company to take responsibility for these cars out of circulation and prevent customers to go throw this inconvenients.

Great little compact

by Mlemos89 from Bethlehem, PA | June 23, 2015

I've owned a Honda, Toyota, Focus, and Ranger. I have to say that this Focus is the best car that I've had. I went with the 14 model because it was cheaper than the 15 model but still new, I got an SE with leather interior, the winter package (heated seats\sidemirrors), and the moon roof. I have to say I'm glad I went with this over the basic Fusion which was in the same price range. I am 5'11 but I still have enough room. The drive is very smooth, and MPGs are amazing compared to my previous vehicle which was the ranger. I average like 27 MPG as of now. I do more city driving. The quality of the interior materials are impressive for the price, especially compared to competitors. I also auto the automatic with the auto shifter, and the car has a nice amount of pick up.