2006 Ford Freestyle

Available in 6 styles:  2006 Ford Freestyle 4dr AWD shown

Overall

Doin' it again.

by NorEast driver from Western NY | June 12, 2014

I'm on my second Freestyle. I had one for a company car back in '06. In a little over 4 years, I put 176,000 on that vehicle. It liked to use brakes and tires, but that's not uncommon in this hilly part of the country. I never had an issue with the CVT. I did regular maintenance and fluids on the car and drove it sensibly. I'm retired now and went out hunting for another one. I found another '06 with just under 90Gs on it and snapped it up. I am shocked that these cars weren't the most popular family car in America back then. Maybe it's the "plain Jane" looks? Whatever. I hope to put another 100,000 on this one. Far superior to any mini-van out there.

Hit or Miss

by Jason from York, PA | April 14, 2014

Bought this car used...8yrs old with 54k miles. I've read the blogs about lunging (predictable after it happens a few times), bad brakes (mine has a steering wheel wobble on hard braking), and CVT going out (not on mine). Pros: Good enough acceleration at speed; Comfortable ride, even for big people who need extra leg- or head-room; Rear seat folds flat into floor well and I can still tote my 3 kids. Engine compartment neat and organized, easy to find and fill all fluids. Cons: Much worse than advertised gas mileage (19City/24Hwy, but I'm getting 20.7hwy); A/C doesn't reach back seat except on high, and there is no cabin air filter; No solid attachment points on roof rack. While braking, the car will lunge momentarily when downshifting.

CVT guaranteed to fail

by Family guy from Shoreview, MN | November 12, 2013

We loved that car, it is comfortable, spacious, great driving experience. Then at 80000 miles we heard a noise overlaying the normal engine sound, which goes up and down with acceleration/slowing down. The devastating diagnose: the CVT transmission is going to fail.Working through various car forums, there a infinite reports and complaints about that. The CVT fails basically between 30,000 and 80,000 miles, almost guaranteed, and replacement (approx. $6000) is not a good option as it will fail again due to inherent technical design issues. In addition, the AC compressor has a leak, an engine mount needs to be replaced, ... This is a black hole sucking up your money.

Great Car!!

by Mike A from Ashley Falls Massachusetts | September 15, 2013

We own a 2007 freestyle limited that we bought new. It has 137000.0 miles on it with no major problems. have done the usual service on wear items. brakes, tires , oil and filters and Ford did a recall on the throttle body and reprogramed the computer which took care of the lunging problem. Love this car. Wish ford had continued building it. I would recommend it to anyone. We have been up and down the east coast many times and the car not only is fun to drive but very comfortable and safe feeling. The only thing I would have done different is with the video system that folds into the roof. When in use it blocks the drivers few with the rear few mirror. hope ford reconsiders bringing this model back.

This car saved my life.

by Erlene from Pittsburgh, PA | July 15, 2013

After hitting a drunk driver head on at 50 mph, then immediately slamming in to a traffic pole, my partner and I walked away with minimal injuries. We very well could have been dead, but the cabin shielded us so much from the accident that we could barely even hear what was happening. That being said, we never had any major problems with the car. It did develop an oil leak around 85,000 miles, but never so serious that we needed to take it in (the equivalent of one quart in between oil changes). The gas mileage left something to be desired as city drivers, but the comfort more than made up for it. And, as it turns out, so did the safety.

very comfy and drives great!

by busy Mom from MD | April 12, 2013

I wasn't sure whether or not to buy a Freestyle after reading other reviews, but I found one that was in good shape, mechanically sound, and only had 1 previous owner. I got the extended warranty for peace of mind, and even though I 've only had it a few weeks I am very pleased with this vehicle. it is very comfortable, handles nicely, and considering how big it is, it gets 24 mpg hwy and about 18 mpg around town. It is a big,solid,safe feeling vehicle (and mine is AWD0. It has lots of storage (more than my other SUV) and neat features. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a sunroof, and I'm not sure how I feel about the automatic climate control (although the AC works great as does the heat). So far I have not had any problems with it.

nice car

by Ford man from Dexter, Michigan | December 26, 2012

the freestyle is very roomy, handles great, and has decent mpg. I only wish Ford continued this line.

What a surprise

by Working Soccer Mom from Tinley Park, IL | September 1, 2012

We just bought this car a few months ago. We needed a little more seating than the 5 available in our sedan. This little gem was found while searching for a car with at least seating for 6. I really love the 2,2,2 configuration. The kids like having their center console in that middle row. Things I love: electric seats with memory, sits up higher than sedans similar to an SUV, smooth shifting(automatic), power when you need it, sun roof, seats fold flat, cargo area is user friendly, roof rack (although we haven't used them yet). Disappointments: gas mileage (barely gets to 27mpg as advertised even with cruise control on hwy) I am not a Ford person but so far I am pleased with this purchase. My neighbors have the same vehicle and their's has 130,000 mi on it without any problems.

Dangerous

by NoMoFord from San Antonio | July 24, 2012

We've had issues with the car lunging when foot is on the brake. This happens in both forward and reverse and is common in this car (you can google something like "Ford Freestyle Lunges" and see results). It is a serious safety issue and Ford will not recall the car. Also, the AC has gone out 3 times already. We like the roominess and the style but it is definitely not worth purchasing.

Alaska Winter Car

by HerbS from Anchorage, AK | April 30, 2012

After driving Alaskan roads in a Chevy 4x4 [ 8 mpg city/winter ] I was ready for an AWD commuter vehicle with significantly better mpg's. First tank: 18.5 mpg - all in-town driving. Best feature: I rarely need more than two seats in a vehicle, but there are times when six would be good. The Freestyle seats 7 in it's 3 sets of seats. The best feature is that the middle and rear seats fold down so I can load fairly large paintings - I'm an artist - with little effort.