1989 Ford Probe

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Have owned this car since 1991

by tamrik from Indiana | September 2, 2012

Purchased my four-cylinder 1989 GL used in 1991 The car has been surprisingly reliable. Primary problems came from the alternator - which I have replaced three times (you can get the alternator in and out through the wheel well without removing the axle if you bend the fender flange) and the gas-lifters on the trunk which are ready to be replaced for the second time. The automatic antenna has failed and I've also replace the clutch once. The car is now at 150K. The front seats are fairly roomy for a small car, the back seats are virtually unusable. The only real annoyance to me was the placement of the directional signals. I wouldn't mistake the GL for a performance vehicle, but the car gets pretty decent gas milage and with the 5-speed, it is fun to drive it.

Surprisingly Reliable

by julia from Kentucky | June 19, 2011

I bought my 89 probe used just to get me to work until i could afford something better, but i ended up driving it for 2 1/2 years with relatively few problems. Its a great little car and I recommend them to anyone that needs something just to get them around town.

Good for an old car

by Firstcar from Ontario, Canada | March 6, 2008

This car is getting to be quite dated. When I bought it it was already 10 years old. Overall it was a good car. I'm sure in its day it was very nice, now however the interior is very outdated and problems started to go with the car such as the altenator. I got rid of the car when it began stalling everytime I came to a complete stop, then I'd have to put it into neutral and restart it while keeping my foot on the gas.

Featured Services for this Ford Probe