1997 Ford Ranger

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Great little truck

by Ranger owner from Placerville, CA | April 30, 2014

I love my 1997 Ford Ranger. It's fun to drive and handles good. It's a nice size truck that easy to see out of and park. It has a big enough bed the haul the things I need to haul. It's good on gas with the 2.3L and 5 speed. The truck is easy to work on and I've had few problems with it. It has 131K on it now. I have seen the 2.3L go a lot of miles with few problems. That is why I bought a Ranger with the good old American cast iron engine.

No problems from this truck

by FJ fan from Hickory, N.C. | April 26, 2012

Have owned some Fords in the past and all have been really good vehicles. My '97 Ranger has been an excelent performer, although with the 4 cylinder it's no speed demon so I don't drive it like I'm trying out for the NASCAR truck series. It came with an optional handling package and that little truck handles as good as most sports cars. A great everyday driver that I will hopefully keep for another 15 years. Great truck!

1997 Ford Ranger

by Danger-ranger from Laramie, Wyoming | April 23, 2012

These are the best little trucks there is. I had a 1997 ford ranger, 4 cylinder, 5 speed. i sold it for $1750. (almost what I bought it for) they keep their value even with 144,000 miles on it. And it still ran like new. I bought another 1997 ranger and just finished a 900 mile trip straight through with no resting. And it never missed a lick. Ranger is a awesome truck. I would recommend it to anyone.

BANG FOR YOUR BUCK

by PICKUP MAN 87 from PENSACOLA | March 18, 2010

I HAVE OFTEN HEARD FORD BE CRITICIZED AND DEGRADED HOWEVER AS THE FIRST FORD I HAVE OWNED I HAVE TO SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN AN EXTREMLEY RELIABLE VEHICLE OVER 115,000 MILES AND STILL NO MECHANICAL MALFUNCIONS FOR THE MONEY YOU JUST CAN'T BEAT IT.

What a trooper!

by Caboose from Cincinnati, OH | January 31, 2010

This little truck has been a solid friend. I've got the 2.3-4 cylinder model. It is rear wheel drive with a small engine, but we're not talking about a race car here(yet people still call this the baby Hemi). This puppy has withstood every abuse I've thrown at it. Current mileage is 154k and I have no problem driving it on long highway trips because it is in such good shape. The beating up I gave it? Daily commutes to muddy construction sites for several years - at 5:30 or so in the morning. Many of those were 3 hour round trips. Before the dirty hauling and heavy commuting, my little buddy took care of me in a really hilly little city where I drove as a hormone addled 20-something. Despite my occasional recklessness and general heavy handedness at the wheel, it has stood up SO well. Other than basic maintenance, I've just now(152k miles!) replaced the original clutch. Whew. Oh and the windshield, but that was totally stupid. Lesson learned: don't park so close to a roofing job. Hah! Without a doubt, my little buddy is gonna do 250k or so before I finally can't see the road anymore, because of the sunflowers growing up from the mud-caked floorboards. Love my truck. Rangers: if you treat 'em right, they'll last forever - or until someone drops something REALLY big off the roof.

Good Buy

by Birkey from Kokomo, IN | April 13, 2007

I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and haven't had to fix a thing. The only thing I don't care for is it's V6 4.0 liter engine with only 2 wheel drive. You can pass people with ease but the lost fuel mileage and spinning out on loose gravel gets old. If you want power, make sure to get it in 4 wheel drive. Other than that, it's a well made and easily maintainable truck. The interior is comfortable and having controls on the steering wheel is a plus. Worth every penny!

Great little truck

by Happy with Ford from Boise, Idaho | August 1, 2006

For the money this has been a great reliable truck! I have owned small Toyota pick-ups, which cost more, and both the Toyota and Ford have had comparable reliablity! I think that the Ranger has a more "solid" feel when driven down the road it does not feel like a tin can! The controls are well thought out and easy to reach and use. I think it worth noting that after 105,000 mile this truck has needed nothing more than regular maintenance and as of the last oil change was only 1/2 quart low at 3000 miles with no oil being added during that time. I have had toyota's that didn't do that well!

Featured Services for this Ford Ranger