2006 Ford Ranger

2006 Ford Ranger
Available in 26 styles:  2006 Ford Ranger 2dr 4x2 Regular Cab Styleside 6' box 111.6" WB shown

Overall

Haulin anytime

by Cricket from New Hampshire | January 13, 2013

2006 2 door XLT Supercab. Bought new, my first Ranger was a used 1998. That one cost me $10,500 to drive it 198,000 miles. Had to change timing belt @100k and not enough ponies(120hp) to get me on the hiway safely. '06 was a great year for Ford. Many models favored by owners, and this Ranger is no exception. If you need a daily driver or second vehicle, this is the one. I have taken 1/2 cord wood, 1/2 ton stone dust and many another load everywhere. Every summer weekend the 11 foot boat is slipped in the bed with motor and coolers off to a new lake fishing. I frequently check the rear view to make sure the boat is still there, you never feel the added weight and acceleration and mpg are barely affected. This 2.3ltr., 5 spd. stick is quick and the suspension responsive. I average 25mpg overall but have done 28-30 at a steady 45. 65mph cruising to work is 27mpg. The CD works as new, AC plenty cold, and nothing has broken prematurely during my 7 year ownership since new. I now have 250K, started shopping for a newer Ranger but don't have a good enough reason to buy one...because the only issue is mine is older. Tire pressure monitoring is not needed, nor are the newer gadgetry, this "old" '06 is fine for another 100k. I never agreed with some posts that the interior is cheap or not modern. My drivers seat has not sagged nor disappointed in comfort like my '98. Yes, I now have torn stitching but I never had a seat cover. Electrically, the alternator ceases at 100-120k. One headlight bulb, parking and dome light, replaced in 250k. Beat that Toyota! She doesn't burn oil as I have always run Motorcraft synthetic. The first 200k, I drove it 80mph to and from work, 100+ miles daily. I don't go over 75mph now. I have the jump seats in back for extra passengers which may only be sized for children but will easily accommodate an adult on a short trip. My only gripe with the 2 door extended cab is my laundry baskets have to be stuffed to get in the rear section. The Newfoundland doesn't! Just now started getting rust on the welded lip under the bed rail. I wax it good in spring and fall covering all painted surfaces including door jams. The drivers side carpet got a hole through the mat and carpet after one year and 40k. That was a disappointment. The rotors were warped somehow and were replaced at 50k. I put on taller tires and mags to cool it up and much more could've been done to it because of all the aftermarket goodies out there but I like it as is. Another gripe which may be solely dependent on the garage I take it to is the slave cylinder replacement which is located inside the tranny bell housing. The first one ceased at 173K so clutch was also replaced for $800. That repair failed again at 242K. I had a highly recommended garage do the second repair work so I am keeping my fingers crossed, especially since it was $1300. The fan clutch stopped sometime around 200k and was replaced for $45. Maybe you can understand why I have kept this vehicle so long having seen these high mileage repairs and their low costs. I have been very satisfied with all aspects of this model. I am 6'3", 250lbs. and if at any time I felt this Ranger was too small or road dangerous, I would have parted with it a long time ago. Unfortunately, Ford stopped building Rangers in 2012 so if you want one, they are in great abundance used. Inexpensive to operate, very good on fuel, 1/2 ton rating and most any color. When I finally decide on a newer truck, I may be looking at the new F150 with eco-boost said to get 24mpg but until then, my 2006 will suffice!

Ranger XL 2wd reg. cab

by Old A&P Mechanic from Albuquerque NM | January 13, 2013

The 3.0 engine is underpowered, but will give you years of good service and rides like a truck. I call it the pop together truck because it is easy to repair. A good compact truck for the money. 4 cyl. is a great buy for MPG.

06 Ford Ranger Sport

by tootall611 from Georgia | September 11, 2011

Had a Toyota first then it finally dead on me. Was without a car for three weeks. Found my Ford up in Wisconsin, and it was sitting on the Fordvlot for a year, so haggled the dealer on the price and got it for 15k with only 23k miles on it. No rusty from the salted winters and in the best shape ever. Drove from wisconsin to Georgia with no problems at all. Been using it for work, and just around the city driving. Between 16 low and 20 high mpg. So if your looking for a truck for hauling small things here and there. A ford Ranger is up your alley. No need for a F-350.

06 Ranger Sport SC 4x4 4.0L

by TundraTiger67 from Twin Ports, MN | August 16, 2011

Great truck! All that I expected. Drove it this summer from MN to Long Beach, CA and back and it performed flawlessly. Got about 19-20 mpg, too!

Pretty good, even for a Ford

by farmerandre from Peoria, Il. | May 12, 2011

I purchased a 2006 Ranger with the 2.3 engine coupled to a 5 speed tranny back in March. It has fair power and shifts well and so far, I am getting almost 29 mpg, most of it city driving. I had a spray in liner installed and it is wonderful, especially with a gray truck! I had my mechanic go over the truck when it was in for Safety and Emissions inspections and he said that for having 104K miles on it, that it is in really good shape. So far, so good, hope that it stays that way!

Decent basic truck

by Ranger Driver from Michigan | September 29, 2009

I picked my Ranger because I wanted a truck to haul material for work I was doing around the house, for camping trips, etc. To be honest, my first choice was the Chevy Colorado, but I was able to take advantage of a friends and family-type discount offered to Ford employees. A family member worked at a Ford dealer at the time, and the discount made it worth going for this vehicle instead. In about 3.5 years, I've put almost 70,000 miles on my Ranger, with very little trouble other than normal wear items. It's been very reliable. I'm glad I got the extended cab - I don't see how you could carry ANYTHING in the cab without one, unless you piled it all on the other seat. The mileage is about 18-19 in the winter, and I've seen as high as 24-25 on one trip. That was when I was holding the speed down to maybe 65 mph. I usually cruise at 70-75, and will just manage 20-21 in warm weather. About 2/3 of my driving is on the highway, commuting to and from work. The ride of my Ranger is so-so to average if there's nothing in the back end. It skitters around and bounces over potholes, expansion joints, cracks, etc. Two or three hundred pounds of something-or-other will make a world of difference in how it rides, though. It's done decently well for a 2WD truck when going through snow, although deep snow will get this thing stuck in a heartbeat. In the winter I carried sandbags in the back for some additional weight and traction. I may switch that to some cement blocks, though.

Fine for the $$$

by Patrick from Tulare, CA | August 25, 2009

I purchased an 06 4 cyl. Super Cab Ranger XLT recently, a lease return with very low milage. I don't understand the complaints about gas mileage, the mileage seems good to me. It is a bit lacking on power esp. with AC on, but I bought it for truck versitility and economy. Happy so far.

UGH!!!!

by SH from RC, CA | July 14, 2009

Ok I do love Fords in general, but I have had some issues with my 2006 Ranger. The one that I got was the basic. I have had it since 2006 and now it only has a little over 41,000 miles on it. Recently, my truck shifts into third gears extremly rough; so much so that my head jolts forward. My dad had owned a 1998 Ranger and had never had any issues with it so hey, it could just be my luck.

My 2nd Ranger...

by That Ford Guy from CA | June 17, 2009

Wow what a truck. I previously owned a '98 XLT 4-cyl and I loved it. I bought the truck with 99k on it and put another 40k on it in 2 years with only regular maintance. I then got greedy and bought an '06 Tundra. I kept that for 6 months after becoming fed up with the horrible gas mileage and the weird transmission. I bought an '06 Ranger XLT 4X4 with the 4.0 V-6. What a truck!!! I average 17 mpg stock with most of my driving being in the city. This truck is very easy to drive and park. Visibility is excellent from any angle and the power from the V-6 is awesome. These trucks are very low maintance and very easy to take care of. I have already taken it off road and there is not a more solid truck out on the market today for the money.

Ranger Pride

by SFC B from Ohio | February 27, 2009

A Solid truck with an excellent reputation for value, quality and durability. This truck has consistently scored high in these areas. The truck has a smooth ride and handles most road conditions with ease. My truck has the 3.0 V6, which is one of the best and most reliable engines Ford has ever build. This engine is known to last for 300,000 to 400,000 miles. While not as powerful as other V6 engines in its class it has more then enough power and torque to meet the needs of any weekend warrior. The interior is laid out very nice with easy access to controls. Wind and road noise is very low and Seating is confortable with plenty of leg and head room. The ride quality is surprisingly comfortable and not as rough as other trucks in its class. The best thing I like about the truck is its American made, sits high and feels like a mans truck and not like a "car-truck" like some of the competition. You can't go wrong with a Ranger!

Featured Services for this Ford Ranger