The Ranger is offered in only two cab styles: regular and SuperCab. The regular cab comes with either a 6- or 7-foot cargo bed. The SuperCab comes with only a 6-foot bed. Four trim levels are offered: XL, XLT, Sport and FX4, which is geared toward off-roaders.
New for 2009
Ford didn't add anything for 2009, but the automaker did kill a few features. The 3.0-liter V-6 engine was dropped, as was the 4x4 regular cab. The only other changes are packaging revisions: A Class III trailer hitch is standard on all V-6 models, and Sirius Satellite Radio is standard on FX4 and Sport models.
The Ranger's outward appearance hasn't changed much since 1998, other than minor hood and bumper updates for 2004. The Ranger remains more of a compact pickup.
- Sport Package features monochromatic theme
- Sport has horizontal-slat grille
- Other models have H-bar grille with nostrils
- FX4 models have three skid plates, limited-slip rear axle, 16-inch wheels with all-terrain tires and rugged vinyl floor covering
The Ranger interior is bare-bones basic, with few frills. Leather seating is available whether you get the 60/40-split bench seat or the bucket seats, and there's an available Pioneer sound system with seven speakers (SuperCab only). The FX4 and Sport pay the most attention to style, with eye-catching gauges and a rugged appearance.
- Rubber floor covering for Sport, FX4
- All sound systems have audio input jack
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel for FX4
Under the Hood
There are two engine options for the Ranger.
- 143-horsepower, 2.3-liter inline-four-cylinder engine with aluminum block and cylinder head, dual overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder and 154 pounds-feet of torque
- 207-hp, 4.0-liter V-6 with iron block and aluminum cylinder head, single overhead camshaft, two valves per cylinder and 238 pounds-feet of torque
- Five-speed manual
- Five-speed automatic
The Ranger offers several safety features, thought side-impact and side curtain airbags are not among them, nor is an electronic stability system.
- Four-wheel antilock brakes
- Driver and passenger airbags
- Seat belts with front pretensioners
- Anti-theft engine immobilizer
Of Interest to Truck Owners
- SuperCab 4x4 maximum gross vehicle weight rating: 5,280 pounds (4.0-liter V-6 with payload package)
- SuperCab maximum payload capacity: 1,660 pounds (V-6 with payload package)
- Regular cab maximum towing capacity: 6,000 pounds (V-6 automatic)
- Available axle ratio: 3.73:1, 3.55:1, 4.10:1
- Minimum ground clearance: 7.9 inches (4x2), 8.0 inches (4x4)
- Approach angle: 25.1 degrees (regular cab 4x4 SWB), 24.9 degrees (SuperCab 4x4)
- Departure angle: 27.0 degrees (regular cab 4x4 SWB), 27.4 degrees (SuperCab 4x4)
- Ramp breakover: 22.2 degrees (regular cab 4x4 SWB), 18.6 degrees (SuperCab 4x4)
- Regular cab cargo-bed load height: 29.7 inches (SWB), 29.2 inches (LWB)
- SuperCab cargo-bed load height: 29.5 inches (4x2), 31.9 inches (4x4)
- Cargo floor length: 72.7 inches (SWB), 84.6 inches (LWB)
- Cargo floor width: 54.4 inches
- Cargo floor width at wheel well: 40.5 inches
- Cargo bed depth: 16.5 inches
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2009 Ford Ranger.
Asking Price Range
Asking Price Range