1997 Ford Taurus

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Better than Honda or Volvo

by Dale from Annapolis Md - Washington DC | September 30, 2013

Hi Have owned a number of Honda and volvo , a Chevy, and 3 Ford Taurus's. And while I would not have expected it, the Ford's are holding up better than any of the Hondas or Volvos. I bought my 97 used in 2004 with 36k miles on it. Since then I have driven it 210,000 miles. It has proven to be a solid, comfortable, and reliable car. The one exception to that is the transmission...works great, very reliable except...does not like towing a heavy trailer. When I broke down on my way moving a son to Texas, the tow truck driver's response to my question, "Do you tow many of these?" was "only when someone tries to tow it". Commuting an ave of 80 miles per day in Washington DC traffic.

A great car, lot of power

by SHO from Martinez, Ga | August 11, 2012

This is a black Taurus SHO with a Yamaha V-8 engine. It is great on gas mileage 28 miles per gallon although you have to use high test gas. It has 110K in terms of mileage but has always been kept up and serviced. My wife has been the primary driver. It has a lot of get up and go and great handling automobile. The paint and body is in great shape.

Transmission issues.

by weekendwarrior from | August 11, 2012

I have owned one for four years now and currently have 198000 miles on it. Biggest problem I've had with it is the transmission went out at 177000 miles and cost $2300 to rebuild. Engine is solid and doesn't burn a drop of oil. Second biggest problem can be finding the right part when they do break down. Easy to maintain and repair for any shadetree mechanic if you can find the right part first. Except for transmission, repairs were surprisingly affordable. Check engine light was an initial problem but a $50 code reader telling me that the gas cap was on loose fixed that. Overall a good value car for a young driver but, a thorough test drive by a qualified independent mechanic is a must.

most dependable work car

by get her done from polk county florida | May 1, 2012

great to work car or just run around town it drove really great to New Orleans i past everything on the road.

TAKE IT ONY IF ITS A GIFT

by Mark from sicklerville | December 26, 2011

This car will be in the shop all of the time the Engine light will come on a thousand time then you get the problem fixed the Engine light come right back on.....don't buy it(take it if it is a gift)

Not Bad

by ARMYGURL89 from MI | June 8, 2011

Not a bad vehicle for a soldier, i live in MI and travel constantly has not been let down i put over 10000 miles on it with in the last 4 months and havent had to get too much more than the regular maintenance done. Its all a matter of finding it used from people who take pride in their vehicle. If not of course it will be a clunker. I inspected as well as my sergeant and father. We are all mechanics so we made sure not to miss anything.

Junk Transmissions But Reliable Engines

by Car Reviewer from Minneapolis, MN | September 2, 2010

My family has now had two '97 Taurus's. Both had junk transmissions and broke at 108,000 and 113,000 miles. One was my car given to me by my parents. The front sway bar, struts, and ty rod all broke... rolling to a stop sign!!! Both had the 24V engine. Outrageously fast! Engines never had problems. Very quick 0-60 for a wagon and sedan. If the rest of the car held up we may still have the wagon. Sedan is noqw sitting in driveway waiting to be fixed. Only real problems are the transmissions and all the stuff in the front. Love the cars besides.

Ford Taurus station wagon

by Taurus user from Bethesda, MD | July 22, 2010

I am pleased with the convenience the wagon offers in hauling a lot of stuff and the roof rack is especially useful. I like the Teel color. The power steering is excellent. I am not pleased with the number of minor and major electrical problems. The rear door high brake light had a broken wire. The little courtesy lights on the 4 doors all do not work and the manual does not tell which fuse must be involved. The driver's window motor stopped working shortly after I bought it and had to be replaced twice until I suggest to the repair shop it might be a stuck down limit relay that was burning out the motors. Also 2 weeks after I bought it, the "Service Motor Soon" light came on and since then the running has been progressively worse with frequent stalling. Mileage was 16 mpg at start, now down to 12.

It's a Ford

by FordCraz from Nowhere ville | April 25, 2010

I've had my taurus for about threes years now, it's my first car which wasn't bad. For owning the car that long we've replaced twice what the is worth and what was paid(fuel pump, ABs mechanism, fuel gauge, engine mounts, engine freeze plugs, brake caliper's, plus the fact it had dexicool bad thing ford had will never leave your engine, battery belts ,hose, rotors,oil and transmission leaks,and now a second transmission which will not happen, etc.). I know it's an older car and things go wrong but. now i've learned that I will have to replace a transmission soon and that's probably not all. I love this and have since I got it. I just think it's a money pit. So I 've decicded to look for a new car that can get From point a to b and give me comfort i need Pros: gas mileage roomy that's it Cons: everything basically also the headlights do not go far at all

Awesome car!!!

by Abby from | January 1, 2010

Our family bought a Ford Taurus brand new twelve years ago. So far, it has only had a few expensive repairs (which is good considering it has 200,000 miles on it). The only downside to the car is the handling. It makes very wide turns, which can be a problem in heavy traffic.

Featured Services for this Ford Taurus