1998 Ford Taurus

See Photos & Videos

Overall

First Car

by Fimeg from Waldport, Oregon | April 11, 2014

I purchased this car with 170,000 miles, and it now has 210,000. I only change the oil. I did have to replace the thermostat, but it gets me from A to B with no worries.

3rd owner

by NavyDoc8406/04 from west TN between nashville and Memphis | April 14, 2011

We bought our 98 Ford taurus used from another sailor and his family, while stationed on Guam. We drove it there for six months , then brought it state side. We drove it until 2010 when we sold it to its fourth owner, whom we see quite regularly. Since we owned it and now our friend has it, it has cost very little to maintain. Gas and regular oil changes, tires and roitations and we had the brakes done once (just pads). The fourth owner reported to us that she needed to put a new thermostat in and also one of the wheel's bearings had to be replaced. None of these items cost her much in the parts department and a mutual friend did the work for no charge. For seven years, to have under $200 in parts over the cost of gas oil and tires, speaks volumes for the quality of this vehicle and model year. So why did I sell it? We had bought a hybrid because odf distances we needed to travel for medical treatments for my wife's cancer. I also wanted to return to a pick up truck, so I bought a used Ford Ranger. Meanwhile, a fourth owner gets to enjoy the hassle free life of driving this Taurus. If you can find one for sale , you better scoop it up for its dependabilty. Our gas mileage wasn't bad at 22 mpg and if you are doing local only type driving, that's really good enough. Comfort on long trips, lets just say it was like the recliner. Man, once that passenger sit leaned back, I was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. You should be able to purchase one of these relatively cheap at around 1700-2000 dollars. it is 2011 now and I would say the better ones out there will still be on the road for 5-10 more years. This car was a fine addition to our drive way and provided dependable service to us at every turn of the ignition. Even if you're just maybe thinking about looking at one, let me urge you to stop looking and start counting out cash! You won't be sorry.

98 Taurus SHO

by SHO in Dallas from Dallas, TX | February 2, 2011

Good car, good performance. The next collectable Ford...............................................

Transmission Problems

by I'll buy american when they're better made. from TX | July 23, 2009

I bought the car to use while commuting to and from college for holidays. I had to replace my transmission at 64k mi. Now, at 124k I'm needing to replace it again even though I don't think I've ridden this car roughly especially not after spending around $2k to replace the transmission the first time. I also have a lemon of a caliper on my rear left break. I have to replace it about every 3-5 years before it starts to eat through my routers. That's $700. This problem seems to be exacerbated by using the emergency break. Ridiculous! The break pads need to be replaced often because this is a very solid car, except for the exterior. I was using my hip to close a door that was ajar and my hip put a huge dented in the door! Cheap body. I only weigh 128lbs; it's ridiculous. Had to take the dome light out because the front right door sensor went bad and it kept saying that the door was ajar, which kicked on the automatic dome light - not good trying to drive at night, so I took the light out and saved myself the cost of replacing the sensor. Interior gets dirty quickly. The faux leather interior not all that sturdy and the paint on the platic door handles inside has been peeling off for some time now. BUT, the trunk holds more than you think it will. Nice that if in desperation it could seat 6, which is why I bought it. I have a family of 5 now and we're still using it until we can afford to get another car.

Don't get a Ford, ever!

by Ford Owner from Chicago, IL | March 26, 2009

This car was bought new and I have spend so much money on maintenance that I regret the purchase. I drive to/from work 20 miles a day via the highway. This car gets 15.6 miles/gallon and I use it solely to go to/from work. The breaks need changing every 2 months, the idle is constantly too high and must be reset. After 5 years, the transmissions died and needed to be replaced. It happened again 6 years later, when I realized that it would not be worth replacing again, and now the car has trouble accelerating. Aesthetically, the interior is amazing and the exterior gives it a futuristic appeal. Trunk space is plentiful and it can seat 5 people. The cruise control doesn't work anymore and a the dashboard lights up when there is no problem - doors are closed: the light goes on, 500 miles since my last oil change: I'm prompted to change my oil, I inflate my tires and the icon remains on the dashboard. The car ran perfectly for the first 75000 miles - at which point everything begins to deteriorate. Ford cars have changed little over the years, so I discourage anybody from buying a Ford Taurus, or any Ford for that matter

Ford Taurus

by Purplepeople from NJ | November 21, 2008

This is such a Great car!!! It's stylish, affordable, and reliable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep

by Starlynn from Illinois | February 29, 2008

It may not be the most sporty or neat looking vehicle but it holds up amazingly well. We have had ours for ten years it has allot of miles on it but it still drives like the day we got it. We have had some brake issues but it still is a realiable car.

Not terribly reliable

by Nerd from Chicago | August 13, 2007

After about 60,000 miles, I had to have the rack and pinion replaced, which I thought was rather strange. Then a few miles later, the catalytic converter needed to be replaced. At approx. 100,000 miles, I'm on my fourth catalytic converter. Also had to have the torque converter replaced and the trans rebuilt... This vehicle required lots of repairs. The good news is that it's still in service with quite a few miles on it. I've never been really keen on the car's appearance, inside and out, but if you're not worried about making a few repairs now and then, I guess the '98 Taurus is o.k.

Great overall for those who can't a"FORD ALOT"

by not on the manufacturers payroll (really!!) from Olathe, KS | March 25, 2007

I have now owned what I consider to be a real value in an car for seven years. My Taurus is the only Ford I have ever owned. All others being Japanese models. While these have also been oustanding in quality, the maintenance value of the Taurus is above and beyond for those who are money/value conscious. Specifically with the 12Valve 3.0 V6, which I researched exstensively along with other comparable domestics. This engine is virtually "bulletproof" I will admit that I have continually run with full synthethic motor oil. However, as long as fluid services are at standard intervals, I believe that this is still a great car. I have had no major repairs to speak of. I have reached now 180,000+ miles and the car is still running strong. I have commented greatly on the mechanicals, let me state too that the car looks good, rides and handles comfortably, and it has a high crash test safety rating. I would have no problem whatsoever passing this car onto my teenage daughter or recomending the Taurus to any person who is looking for a good car for themselves. For someone starting out in this big scary world of driving, I think the value and safety are priceless.

It's a good car, basically

by Dad of two from Baltimore maryland | January 8, 2007

I like the design the best. Even by today's standard it looks cute. Riding in this car is fun. Very good control and very comfortable sitting inside. Suspension is super. Reliability isn't fun though - lot's of small hassles. If Ford have had inproved their build quality it could have been the best sedane.

Featured Services for this Ford Taurus