1996 Ford Thunderbird

19 city / 25.9 hwy

Overall

My 1996 Thunderbird!

by Katy Dawn from OKC, OK | May 22, 2014

I have a 1996 Ford Thunderbird LX. She has 298,876 miles on her and she has had mainly oil, coolant leaks and ball joint problems but over all the late-90 models, I prefer this beauty! She has gotten so many compliments and so many people have asked for prices on it, but I would never sell it! I love this car! The Ford company needs to bring them back!f

Great highway cruiser

by ptschett from Fargo, ND | January 5, 2014

My car was purchased in 1998 as a practically new car with 5800 miles (the dealership owner's wife had driven it for a while), and now has 193000 miles. It's one of my favorite cars for a long highway trip. The front seats are excellent for comfort and the back seat is better than average for a 2-door car. I could comfortably sit behind someone of my height for at least a 2-hour trip. My car has the 6-way power drivers seat which allows fine-tuning of the seating position for long driving days. The performance with the 4.6L V8 was good for its day, though has been surpassed by V6 and even I4 cars now. It has plenty of acceleration for safely merging onto an interstate or passing on a 2-lane road. The 1996-97 styling update was a good compromise between the late-80's base design of the car and the rounded direction that Ford and the industry were taking in the '90's. I prefer it over the '94-'95 but don't feel it's as cohesive as the '89-'93 designs. The interior was generally carryover from the '94-'95 with a driver-centric dashboard design. The drivers controls are generally logical and are within easy reach. I feel that I've gotten more than my input value out of the car in the 15 years I've owned it. Reliability has generally been good. My car still has the original engine, and the oil pan & valve covers have never needed to be removed. Wear item life was good in my experience; I got 130,000 miles out of the original front brakes, 170,000 out of the rear brakes, 190,000 out of the U-joints and 10 years out of the original battery. (However I do not do much city stop-and-go driving.) I replaced the water pump and radiator around 130,000 miles as both had started to leak. There are a few areas where I feel the reliability of this car could have been better: -The transmission. My car has had it rebuilt twice; the 1st rebuild was due to engagement issues for reverse gear stemming from an instance of being stuck in snow, and the 2nd rebuild was due to the 2nd gear mechanical diode failing. -The intake manifold. The original manifold had a plastic coolant crossover tube integrated into it to connect between the heads, which would eventually crack and cause a significant coolant leak. However, this was covered under a "silent warranty" and most 4.6 cars that had this issue have probably been repaired. -The mass airflow sensor can get contaminated over time, and can cause engine codes to be set for other sensors. However the MAF can easily be cleaned & reinstalled.

Great dealership

by Jay from Simpsonville, S.C. | December 1, 2012

Dealt with Jerry West...Excellent, excellent person. A pleasure to deal with, very helpful, bent over backwards to accomodate me. I highly recommend this dealer!!!!!

Nothing but problems

by Kenny from | May 3, 2009

I bought this car used and since then have had nothing but problems. Radiator leaked, oil leaked, break lights and turn signals went out randomly, sunroof didn't work and leaked. I may have had a dud, but I will not be buying another Ford for a long time. The things I will miss about this car is the smooth ride, extremely fast power windows, and the handling around corners.

Safe Reliable Transportation

by Drive American from Chantilly, VA | March 18, 2008

This is the second one I have owned. My first was a 94 that had 137k. Sold it with 189k three years ago. The car is still alive! All I had to do was give it a tune up and change the trans fluid. I just picked up the 96 that has 53k on it. Like my 94 the 4.6 is smooth and strong. I average around 22 mpg mixed driving. The car is comfortable on long trips and rides quiet. Parts are cheap and plentiful so high mileage t-birds make a great first car.

Love this car!

by everybodylovesaford from Memphis, TN | September 8, 2007

This is the first car I've ever purchased and I love it. Bought it 11 years old with over 115,000 miles on it and it drives like a dream. Got to get some body work done but still a good car to drive.

first car

by village_pollock from Richmond, IL | April 5, 2007

this was the first car i've owned...so it may not matter too much what I think of it! I bought this car in July of 2006. It's almost 12 years old and it's still running strong! It's got some dings on the hood and some surface rust is starting to form around the doors, but otherwise all i have done to it is replaced the rear running light (oops, my bad), the serpentine belt, and the alternator. Otherwise, with a little routine maintenance, this car has had no major problems.

An enjoyable car to drive

by Wade47638 from Evansville, Indiana | October 21, 2006

I have owned a 1995 and now a 1996 Thunderbird and would buy another one. It is a joy to drive. However, the back seat is for kids only. The V-8 is a much better value than the V-6. The only down side might be people who don't know how to drive rear wheel drive. But what they forget is when they loose traction with front wheel drive they loose all control of the car. At least I can still stear and I don't have torque stearing throwing me to one side or another.

Featured Services for this Ford Thunderbird