2012 Ford Transit Connect

See Photos & Videos

Overall

8 months old, 30,000 miles, 3 transmissions

by Robert from Chicago Il | April 9, 2014

Ford Transit 2013 Commercial Van 1st- transmission @ 8,000mi 3 weeks in shop 2nd- Return for not searing properly, 3 days in shop 3rd -Transmission @14000mi 2 weeks in the shop 4th -Transmission @ 22,000mi 2 weeks in the shop 5th-Defective throttle Body @ 23,000 4 days in the shop Ford has responded but offers no solution and truck will be out of warranty @ 36,000 Do not buy This vehicle.

A great alternative to a full sized van

by AV Guy from Atlanta, GA | March 31, 2014

We have a 2010 with 47K miles with ZERO issue so far! It gets 20+mpg around town and 25+ on the highway....WAY better than our full sized vans that get 13 around town and 16 on the highway on a good day. Can these replace a full sized van for all circumstances? Absolutely not, however, they do many things better. Features such as sliding doors on both sides, a full 48" wide clear floor area through the back door and a cargo area height that is extremely functional. These all add up to a much better vehicle for service calls and small to medium installs. Larger installs or towing need a full sized van. We have a Nissan NV2500HD Tall van along with our Transit Connect and they are a perfect match. When we replace it, we will consider a new one along with the Nissan NV200.

Most unreliable vehicle I've owned

by Applianceservice from Canada | January 31, 2014

With fuel prices being high we purchased this vehicle for our business to save money on fuel. Coming from a Chev Uplander we thought it would have to be more reliable. We were wrong on that count. In under 2 years it has spent an incredible amount of time at the dealer for service. New rad, power steering pump, A/C condenser, front stabilizer, door hinges, sun visor, coil, engine management computer and then a faulty connector at the computer. Mileage is less than other service vehicles including a Dodge Caravan. It is also less comfortable and more money to purchase. I am very happy I purchased a Toyota for my personal vehicle. Will be looking to dump this van before the warranty is up as we won't be able to afford to run it afterwards. Would not recommend this vehicle to anyone.

7 times in the shop in one year

by Buyers remorse!!!!! from South Carolina | November 4, 2013

My van is 1 year old with 23,000 miles on it. I've had my transit van in the shop 7 times. Ford has done everything possible NOT to change out the transmission and admit it's bad. We finally had to threaten litigation to get them to change it out. Don't know how this is going to end -- it's in the shop again. The transmissions in these vans are AWFUL!!!!!! Ford won't admit that they're bad. I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE BUYING ONE OF THESE TRANSIT VANS!

FORD TRANSIT VAN

by SPARTAN from NEW CUMBERLAND PA | September 24, 2013

I HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS SINCE 1984, AND HAVE RUN FULL SIZE VANS. WE HAVE PURCHASED 3 NEW FTC VANS. ONE HAS 43,000 MILES ON IT, NO PROBLEMS OR DEFECTS YET, A LITTLE UNDERPOWERED, BUT WE HAVE THEM LOADED UP WITH EQUIPMENT, AND STILL GET 24-26 MPG ON THE HIGHWAY. GOOD JOB FORD,AN INEXPENSIVE,UTILITARIAN WORK VEHICLE!

Clownmobile

by The Beaver from | July 26, 2013

I went from a full size gmc van to the "clownmobile" 7 months ago. The idea was to save gas. Gmc 16 mpg clowmobile 23 mpg. As a survey engineer this box on wheels is packed so tight, when I open the side doors stuff falls out. The driver seat is more like a torture seat made for con-men. Going up any hill it down shifts for more power. I think my boss is trying to get me to quit my job for the reason he got this for me. Driving used to be enjoyable..but with the clow

It's been a great little truck

by appliancedud from PA | May 2, 2013

We bought the Transit Connect new in January 2011. It's used as our primary appliance service vehicle and has performed flawlessly. Could it have more power? Absolutely. As for dependability, it's been fantastic. We now have over 67000 miles on it in just two years. In that time, we have replaced brakes once and have recently changed tires. We change the oil every 3000 miles and the only time this truck has seen the garage is when it's in for the annual inspection. The big thing is, folks, it's a compact truck on a Focus-based chassis. It's not an Econoline. It rides like a small car. Don't expect big van v8 performance and storage. That's not what this is. We love it and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

shoebox on wheels

by service technician from Davenport IA | April 27, 2013

this is the most uncomfortable vehicle I have ever driven!!! The seat is a rock, no give or suspension to it, not enough slide to the rear, and I'm 6 foot tall. No where near enough leg room. Tires are the worst! Have had more flats in two years than I have had in the 25 years of driving, all the various vehicles i have owned included! Cannot carry a simple 6 foot step ladder.HORRIBLE in cross winds!!! Although the driver side slider with rack inside is quite nice, but you can get that on a full size too! As a service Technician I cannot carry everything I need anymore,which customers don't want to hear! So basicly if you are a corporate stooge its a great cheap vehicle and you get what you pay for, not much. but if you have to work out of it , it's horrible

Handyman Special - even when new

by Just Plain Joe from Long Island, NY | March 23, 2013

Look - I bought this thing to get myself out of the E-350 that was eating me out of house and home. Yes... huge cargo capacity was a plus, but at the big E's 9 miles a gallon, I was willing to pare down my on-truck inventory to fit into a new Transit Connect. Mine is actually a 2010; I was one of the first on Long Island to own one. I was impressed by the layout and overall perceived functionality of the truck. Things went well for the first year, but then electrical gremlins started appearing. First, the right front directional bulb blew. No biggie; I replaced it - but noticed that he base for the bulb had what looked like heat damage. Then, the interior light in the forward cabin literally came apart - while the truck was parked for the weekend. Next, it was the taillights, which randomly lost power, thanks to a shoddy socket design. Ditto the rear directionals. The fix in all cases wasn't too difficult, but removing the rear lens assembly was no fun, thanks to the design of the thumbscrews that hold the taillight lens assemblies in place. Here's a hint, Ford: anyone with arms shorter than an NBA player won't be able to hold the lens in place on the OUTSIDE of the truck, while pushing/tightening the thumbscrew locating hardware INSIDE the truck, whilst reaching around those big ol' doors at the rear. After a few hilarious attempts to do the deed without having the lenses pop off the truck and dangle on their wires, I had to get creative and tape the lenses into place while I secured the hardware from within. Not fun, even by the third time. Or fourth. And, oh, yeah - that right front directional bulb? I'm on my third one. And yep - the bases ARE burning. The socket is actually melting. The left side hasn't flambe'd as of yet, but I've had to pull it out and bend the tabs that supply the voltage to the bulb at least twice. It's getting to the point that using my directionals is a game of chance. All of that, while annoying, hasn't created any potentially dangerous situations. But today, I actually had an incident that got me a little afraid of being stranded, maybe being injured. For no reason I could tell, my check engine light came on at highway speed. Then, the little wrench symbol also lit up. As I was pondering the redundancy of that second signal, BLAM! the truck started bucking, the engine started racing, and the transmission started ranging through its gears. The engine would stall then catch again. When I got to the side of the road, I checked all the fluids, then started looking deeper. What I found was a broken wire - a 14-ga. black lead that came off a ballast of some kind attached to the fuel injectors and the coils atop the spark plug boots. The wire was a system ground; a fairly major bit of circuitry. Instead of a stout cable, or a strong connection of any kind, Ford had used a common piece of black wire that was secured to the chassis with a crimped-on ring - and no weatherproofing or strain relief of any kind. The flexing of the engine, and the cheapness of the design had allowed the wire to break. Yes, I fixed it (did I mention that my business is auto electrical repair?), and yes, I had to reset the ECM by disconnecting the battery and letting the codes clear. I'm back on the road again. I'm easy to spot - I'm the guy with no right turn signal. Nice truck - weak, troublesome electrical system. I can't imagine what someone who doesn't know how to repair electrical systems would have dealt with any of these problems. Very disappointed overall.

A bad Delivery/Cargo vehicle

by A Bussiness Owner from California | March 21, 2013

Disappointing vehicle. I own a florist and bought this specifically for my business use. The car really has no power and does not accelerate well, while the engine makes quite a bit of noise. The reliability of this car is absolutely horrible as I have only around 15,000 miles on it and have already had problems with the transmission and engine! The interior feels and looks quite cheap, which wasn't a main concern of mine as this would be used as a delivery vehicle, but there is not much more space in this car than a full size van would have. The gas mileage is also subpar when the car is loaded and I am out driving the car for the entire day. Overall I am very disappointed with this car and would say it is definitely not worth the money.