2003 Ford ZX2

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Excellent

by theplace2be from Massachusetts | May 5, 2010

I have owned 2 zx's a2000 and an '03 both were purchased new. In 2004 i bought a 2003 leftover with only 11 miles because it was the last year and it had more torque than previous years, making it a bit quicker. I have only owned manual transmissions, and my zx'2 never dissappointed me. it is now 2010 and i still have my '03 and it is running great, only 80k miles, its still all factory (except the cold air intake) and will hold its own. Its reliable, only had to replace brakes and tires, its quick,and great on gas. I enjoy any roadnoise that others complain of, that combined with the road feedback lends to it being such a fun car to drive. I am 6'4" tall and fit in comfortably.I have come very close to trading it in for a New mustang, but I just couldnt do it. In all I love my zx2 and have driven them for a combined 10 years, what a great american made car. The best bang for the buck, and being a Ford its less costly to maintain ,,, hope they bring it back

It will get the Job done...

by Not Sure from Vermont | October 5, 2009

I have a 01’ ZX2, I bought it from a used car dealer with 30K miles for $4500, it was three years old when I got it (It was a rebuilt flood car). Thought it was a nice little sporty car. First long trip I took I noticed the clutch was slipping really badly (I thought it was odd that a 3 year old car needed a clutch). Took it to my mechanic and they told me the clutch was soaked with transmission oil because the transmission case had cracked, and needed a new transmission. Took it back to the dealer and they put one they got from a junk yard, and haven’t had a problem since. Changing the oil is a really big pain. Every time I change it I get really mad at the engineer who designed this car. The oil filter is in the worst place ever. It is angled slightly down (so all the oil gets on everything), and you have to unscrew it from the top, but there isn’t enough room to get it out, so you have to let it drop on the floor and let oil splash all over the place. I usually burn my forearm on something too. I use this car for towing my 15 ft zodiac boat. Probably not the best vehicle, but it gets the job done with a five speed manual. Air conditioning went at about 95K miles. Currently has 113k miles. Engine runs strong. The transmission problem, and oil changing thing has left a bad taste, not sure if I would ever buy another Ford.

like a glove

by XQSME 2003 zx2 from Tampa, FL. | February 16, 2009

With cruise control, an aftermarket muffler, bigger shoes, and an air filter, you can easily net 30 mpg city, 35 mpg highway. For a car I bought new with 31 miles, for $11,000, and still enter the passing lane, it boggles me why this car was discontinued after just 1 model year. And why only California received the S/R model, I will never know, but I enjoy this car MUCH better than my former PT cruiser, Focus, Sebring, and other small(er) cars I have piloted. Will often cause confusion of what the car is, as my car has been called anything from an Integra to a BMW. Not bad, not bad at all.

2003 Ford ZX2 @105K

by ztyhurst from Bristol VA | January 24, 2009

We bought our ZX2 at about 92K and at this time it has about 105K miles. I typically get 30 MPG with 30/70 town/highway and other than changing the oil and $30 for a temperature sensor and thermostat I have not had any problems with it. I will say that changing the oil filter on this car is probably the hardest I have ever dealt with. it is behind the engine on the middle right, above the axle. I could not think of a worse place to put it. This car is however very fun to drive, but the engine can get a bit on the loud growly side. The steering has a little bit of play, but the feel of the road is still good. I liked it much better than the cavaliers we test drove. The torque and pwr to weight felt much better. This car was a great value for the money we paid for it and I think it will easily make 200K miles.

5years no repairs

by sports car enthusiast from baltimore | July 11, 2008

I do all city driving and with careful use of the gas pedal, I get 27-28mpg per tankful. 1 40 mile highway ride and I get 31 mpg. most reliable car I've ever owned. Always starts and goes.

Good commuter

by Commuter dude from California Bay Area | January 27, 2007

Great little commuter vehicle. With judicious use of the gas pedal you can repeatedly get 32-33 mpg. Engine idles a little rough at times, but really just an annoyance.

Most Fun For The Buck!

by Matthew from Remer, MN | August 31, 2006

This was by far the most fun I have had owning a car! I am 6' 6" and fit the car great! If it wasn't for the deer I would still have one! Now I want another and will own another as soon as I can!

A good choice among compacts

by Eponymous from Las Vegas, NV | May 27, 2006

This was my first "new" car purchase, and I chose the ZX2 because I liked the sporty appearance, without the sports car price. It seems to have overall better performance than similarly priced cars in its category. I've had this car for about 5 months now and so far it seems to be a reliable, well-made, economical ride.

After three years, its great!

by Ruby Too. from Lakeland Fl | May 21, 2006

I was a bit doubtful about buying this car but it was a 2003 brand new in September of that year and on offer for $11,000. Good deal. Three years later it has never been back to the dealer for any problem at all. Just great for a cheap little car. And it has every option apart from sunroof.

Featured Services for this Ford ZX2