Gerald A. Nortz, Inc. was established in 1924 by Gerald A. Nortz. His initial business was selling new Chrysler & Packard automobiles. The first store was located in a downtown Lowville building when it outgrew that and another location, he moved to the current site in 1935. By that time, he was also selling Sterling trucks. In 1945 his son Thomas, after serving in World War II, joined the business as a mechanic. He was soon helping his dad on the sales floor too.
Business had its ups and downs thru the years, but they survived with great service and repeat business. Many customers are 2nd and 3rd generation.
Over the years many changes have occurred. A storage addition was added in the 1940’s. In 1954 a fire destroyed the block building next door. In 1957 they purchased the lot and it became the new car display lot. A 3 bay addition to the shop was added in 1960. In 1974, a body shop was built.
The Dodge franchise was added in 1979 and Jeep came on board in 1999. They have been a great addition and expanded the customer base.
Gerald retired in 1976 and sold the business to Tom. His son Gerald Nortz II started in 1983 after college. Tom retired in 1989 and sold the business to Gerry.
There have been many great employees thru the years and we would like to thank them all for their contribution to the business and its customers.
Bob Ross, the service and parts manager has been with us for over 48 years. Henry Nortz, master technician and Tom’s son, have been with us for over 37 years. Tim Roggie, technician, has been here for 31 years. Our newest employee is Chris Mealus. She has been our office manager since 2009.
You can’t beat experience, and our team has over 116 years of it. It says a lot that we have been in business for 86 years. You can’t do that without great employees and customer satisfaction.