2009 GMC Canyon

2009 GMC Canyon

Available in 22 styles:  2009 GMC Canyon 4x2 Regular Cab 6' box 111.3" WB shown

See Photos & Videos

Overall

More options for my money...

by RDH from Gilbert, AZ | June 4, 2011

Bought a Canyon 4WD Crew-Cab SLT model fully loaded with the Z71 off road package and the 5.3L V-8 engine in Red; it was a difficult truck to locate, at the time there were only 3 new ones for sale in the state with the V8 engine. I looked at and drove all the other mid-sized trucks in the Canyon’s class, I was close to buying a new Tacoma, but felt the 4.0L V-6 didn’t have tow ability and power of the 4.3L Vortec in the S-10 I was driving at the time (even though the Tacoma had more HP). I ended up getting the fully loaded new Canyon at a lower price then what I would have gotten the new Tacoma without leather, sun roof, power seats and a 5.3L V-8 engine. Three months after buying the Canyon, I loaded it up with 5 adults and bed packed high with bikes, clothing, coolers and everything else then drove my family to a California beach vacation…the V-8 Canyon moved my family and all our stuff along without even the slightest complaint and looked good doing so. This is something that the Tacoma wouldn’t have been able to do without a struggle…period. My wife and I have cabin up in the mountains and we like to go up there and ski in the winters; the cabin is off an un-paved road in the woods and I have had to use snow chains (and a little bit prayer) with my pervious vehicles to get in and out of there. So I opted for the 4WD with the locking rear differential (SLT model). I’ve been up to the cabin more times in the past 2 years, than I had in the previous 4 years combined. Now, I have (just about) no fear in get stuck at any point of my trip with the Canyon’s 4WD system. It works very well, and I have not experienced any issues with it. I wish GM had a manual transmission as an option with the Crew Cab V-8 model, but only the automatic is offered. I like the (leather) interior, but I find the basic fabric that is available in the Canyon’s a little cheap compared to that in the Toyota’s. Outside of that, I find the Canyon’s interior comparable to the Tacoma’s without the “gaudy” look that seems to be abundant in the Toyota. I like the seating in the Canyon much more then the Tacoma where if in the front seats, it feels as though you are sitting on floor; while the Canyon has more a “truck” height seating. As for the exterior of the Canyon, I like the basic lines of the truck more than the Tacoma (which to me look like those of a Dodge), but the basic 2WD Canyon can look pretty boring when compared to some of the 2WD models of the Tacoma. Compare the 4WD Canyon with Z71 off-road package to the 4WD Tacoma with the off-road package and the Canyon looks much bolder and different looking. If I were looking for something in between, I would surely consider or opt for the Tacoma; but if I wanted a truck that could do just about everything a full sized truck could do only in a smaller mid-sized package, the Canyon V-8 model is an easy choice. If you are looking for truck to go to and from work, occasionally haul a big TV or dirt bike in, has good power for around town and light off road driving, that has a sporty off-road look and you are willing to pay a little more…then the Tacoma is probably the truck for you.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Super looks and functionality

by Need A Reliable, yet stylish truck from Metro Detroit | December 8, 2010

The Canyon and Colorado or the best looking and best riding mid-size trucks on the market. The super smooth ride is such a surprise, and with a crew cab, there's more than enough interior space for even 5 large men. I've honestly never had a work truck with such great lines, and yet, it's super functional.

Front axle problem

by B85Mack from Virginia | November 2, 2010

This was my second Canyon. It was a crew cab, 4 wheel drive, and the V8 motor. The front axle broke without warning. My dealer couldn't explain it or the GM factory rep. I think the Canyon frame cannot hold the big V8. GM did help out with buying a 2010, which is performing fine.

2009 canyon

by New truck driver from New Jersey | October 16, 2009

This is my first truck.I have the 4cyl engine and I am happy with it's preformance.The ride and handling is very car like and comfortable. It feels like I am driving a car rather than a truck.After 9000 miles I have not had any trouble.

Well oiled machine

by sir quirk from NC | December 4, 2008

Love the bold looks up front. I have a techno gray extended cab with the off road package. I get compliments all the time.

First new truck I owned

by SAPPERSforward from Mississippi | July 21, 2008

This is my first new truck and I really love it. I have test drivin the Titan,Tundra, and the Frontier. and none of them come close to the comfortable ride and the canyon had. The gas wasn't that bad either. I really like the features that is came with...Onstar! that thing is going to be a life saver with the turn by turn navigation. Get one!!!

Featured Services for this GMC Canyon