2003 GMC Envoy XL

15 city / 20 hwy

Overall

Rattles, but reliable.

by NCPerson from USA | October 23, 2013

Had this since new. It's smooth. I have the v8 XL loaded model. No issues at all. Currently at 150K and climbing. Still looks good. This is a nice vehicle and seems more reliable than other domestic SUV's. But, I am one of those people who actually take it to the dealer for all recommended services. If you don't mind rattles, squeaks and boat like feel this is the SUV for you.

GAUGE DISASTER

by JUNGMTN from Newark | January 23, 2013

I have owned my 2003 GMC Envoy XL for 4 years. Bought this vehicle used. The first 3 years were awesome. Then when it started getting cold out the speedometer did not want to work right. Next my battery gauge started reading too high. This I checked out with my mechanic. Found out it's giving a false reading. Looked up online and found out this is a normal problem for GM. Now I have no Battery, Oil pressure, Fuel gauge and when its cold the only way I know how fast I am going is by watching my tack meter. It's a good thing my father told me to always pay attention to the gauges. I do love the way this vehicle rides. It's heavy and comfortable. The 4 wheel drive works some (when it's not cold). I will not buy another GM. I am not sure what my next vehicle will be. My 93 Jeep Cherokee is still running and all the gauges work still after 20 years of ownership. Maybe I will go back to a Jeep.

Should have gotten this a long time ago...

by Happy with my XL from western North Carolina | June 4, 2012

I am an extensive researcher in just about all I do. The Envoy line should have never been discontinued, as it is one fine vehicle in about every respect. I live in the NC mountains up high, and LOVE the various 4WD, AWD options I have with the Envoy. I have the V8 which is worth the minor loss of mpg, and the pups I haul love the XL length and venting rear windows. I'm also a big guy at 6'4" 250 and BOY is this vehicle comfortable. Heated seats and other extras had me licking my chops to get the 'right' one, and I am thoroughly pleased with my purchase. Gas ain't cheap, I know that, but it's all about trade offs and what you are willing to accept or not. The GMC Envoy line is a pleaser in every category I can conjur.

Love, Love, Love this Vehicle

by Envoy Lover from Slidell, LA | March 15, 2012

We bouught our fully loaded GMC Envoy Excel new in 2003. It has been a dream to own -- always ready to perform and never had one problem. With 3 rows of seats, it was great for hauling family and friends in stylish comfort; the third row of seats was as comfortable as the front row! Even after 9 years, it's still stylish and I was still receiving comments on my pretty "new" SUV. I would have kept this vehicle forever but reluctantly sold it to my nephew who needed a reliable vehicle for his wife and new baby.

Great SUV for the Family

by usnavystgc from Bowling Green, KY | November 10, 2011

I bought my 03 Envoy XL brand new. I have had virtually no problems with it and it has reliably hauled my family of 5 wherever we need to go (along with all of our needed posessions). It has excellent performance and drives a lot like a car. I don't think there's a better value out there as far as combining luxury and practicality as well as price. I love the inline six engine, the heated seats, the 3 zone climate control, and the way the car is just loaded with options. It has performed like a dream for us. Highly recommended.

I love my envoy

by Momma from Chicago, Il | July 26, 2011

Has tons of features great sound from the speakers tons leg room. Love the 3rd row of seating. Tons of trunk space and handles excellently.

Good car but not liking the gas prices

by Extra Room for Family of 5 from Columbia, Tennessee | May 17, 2011

This is a comfortable Envoy and I like the style, but I am having problems with it loosing power. I have to turn if off for a few minutes and back on for it to pick up power. This doesn't happen everyday, but probably 2 times a week and the Check Engine light will stay on for a few hours and then go off. I had the fuel filte changed, but its still the same. It might needs it throttle replaced or cleaned. Other than that, I really like this vehicle and am really happy, except I have to put $80 to fill up and that I really am not happy with, but I have no choice with a family of 5 I need the 3rd row seating.

I love my Envoy XL

by Mom from Kalamazoo, Michigan | March 7, 2008

I love my Envoy. It is comfortable, handles great, I can pull a U-turn on a dime! I have had one problem with the hatch back, due to snow/ice accumulation. I have two kids 5 and 20, both fit anywhere in the vehicle comfortably, NO TINY HALF SEATS WITHOUT LEG ROOM! If I had tp list negatives, I would only have two things I would change. Gas conservation and I do wish the third row seat folded flat (inside of the floor). It would make hauling things more convenient, otherwise, I LOVE MY TRUCK!!!!!!

The Great ENVOY XL!!!

by pdcars from Austin, Texas | June 21, 2007

The Envoy combinds the perfect amount of luxury and SUV together in on great pkg! The room is great, the layout is very well done. The fuel eco is around 16 city and 18-20 hwy. Overall it is a great SUV for anyone!

I love my Envoy!!!

by Father of 2 from Ohio | February 5, 2007

From what I have noticed, buying a car can be compared to flipping a coin. You are either going to get a great vehicle that you love to drive, or you are going to regret the day that you first saw that "money pit". In reading some of the other reviews, once again a GM vehicle is reviewed on a "hit or miss" basis. I got lucky when I bought my Envoy. I have had absolutely no problems with the spacious SUV. The only unexpected cost was purchasing new tires! I can fit 2 carseats safely guarded within the third row seating, 2-3 passengers in the middle row, and another passenger up front. Did I mention the $300 of groceries neatly packed in the trunk??? This is a luxury for any parent with child seats or 2+ kids! By the way, it looks great!! The only "downside" to this SUV is the 15-16 mpg on average. I've seen reports showing 21+ mpg... Yeah right. I can consistently count on getting 340-350 miles from filling 23 gallons of the 25 gallon tank. However, I don't view this as much of a fault because I know that the gas paying for safety, comfort, and all of the other conveniences of driving such a nice vehicle. It's one heck of a trade-off between this and some little Hybrid that gets 45mpg while fitting 2 small passengers and a stick of gum. All in all, I would reccommend my Envoy to anyone who is looking for luxury without paying a second mortgage for it.

Featured Services for this GMC Envoy XL