2003 GMC Envoy

Available in 4 styles:  2003 GMC Envoy 4x4 shown

Overall

2003 GMC Envoy xlt

by joemac5280 from nashville, TN | March 18, 2014

Bought this new and now has over 180,000 miles. Has been used by my 3 children's as their first car after I passed in on....amazingly only things I had to fix was to have the transmission rebuilt after 150,000 and alternator at 165,000. Horribly gas mileage ( 12 to 14) but perfect if you don't want them going to far ;) Has been on numerous cross country trips and with the big v8 it has towed everything from, jet skis, boats, and uhaul trailers...it has been a tank. All 3 kids now have their own cars but still keep this because it is so dependable

2003 Envoy

by SUV Daddy from Olympia, Washington | April 23, 2012

I got a 2003 Envoy about two weeks ago and so far it's been doing great. The down side for me is the mileage that it gets in town (about 14mpg). It seems very solid with alot of neat little doodads.

Junk

by Never Again from Central Iowa | March 12, 2012

I had purchased my 03' in 05' with 25,000 miles on it. Since that time and 90,000 miles later I have replaced 2 fan clutches, rack-n-pinion, the plastic molding has/is pulled away from the body, rear upper window wont open, only one of the 8 speakers works, the molding that holds the windshield in is falling out of its channel, the upper rear brake light flew off the truck on the highway, and I beleive that a 5 gallon bucket would be more comfortable than the factory leather seats...just complete junk. It's a very nice looking truck but not a good truck. There is a reason GM needed a bailout, this is a great example of why.

Great overall car

by GMC Owner from Warner Robins, Ga | December 16, 2010

Bought my 03 in 05. since then i have put 100,000 miles on it and it's still running good. only had slight probelms with the car like the throttle body gunks up and has to be cleaned or else the air doesn't work. The back molding holding in the light above the door broke off while opening, the hubcaps have fallen off many times, and the driver door creeks a little. Overall i have had a great exprience with this car and would buy another GMC again.

2003 Envoy SLE (modified)

by Merlot's owner from Anthony, FL | August 18, 2010

I am the proud owner since new of a 2003 Envoy SLE in Monterey Maroon w/ camel interior. I call him Merlot. I LOVE THIS SUV. I have been a GM fan all my life and have been in just about every car from BMW to Mercedes. My late hubby was a Master Parts Mgr for a GM dealership so I got lots of different cars to drive. I drove the Saturn Vue, and a couple other SUV's before my purchase of Merlot & let me tell you - this is by far the best SUV on the market. Solidly built with a frame that can withstand a heck of a hit, the horsepower to get you out of a jam or just let your lead foot enjoy the speed. I put a K&N filter on him & changed out the pipe to a 3 inch all the way up & gained 10-15 more horsepower as well as better fuel economy. On average 18-19 city. Its like a horse people if they can breath freely they perform better. I have never had any mechanical difficulties from him and he is still riding like NEW. I of course do the mobil 1 synthetic oil and he has had a 100K change of the fuel filter and plugs. I was looking at a Subaru Baja the other week and while it was a "nice car/mini truck" it just doesn't have the stuff to make me give up my trusted steed. In short I think I'll be driving my Merlot until he no longer can fire up and go. And so far we've had over 116K miles of happy driving together. If you have a chance to purchase one of these SUV's my opinion is to DO IT. You will not regret doing so. HAPPY TRAILS!!!

Best SUV on the Market.

by HBS from Arkansas | July 27, 2010

I traded from a Jeep to an 03' Envoy SLT and well worth it. The SLT package is well worth it the features on the stearing wheel and the dual heating and cooling. I love absoutely everything about my Envoy I will definitely be getting another one.

for the price i paid, it is junk

by jaBOc from Nashville TN | April 28, 2010

I bought my 2003 Envoy new in 2004, since i have put 70,000 miles on it. I have tried to sell it for two years with no luck. I just bought a Honda Accord and stoped driving the Envoy. At 55,000 miles i took it to get its emissions tested to get it registered and it FAILED! I needed a whole new gas tank, so I parked it. I didnt want to spend that much money on it. I FINALLY got GMC to stand behind there peice of junk product. I have also needed a new alternator and water pump. complete junk! I wont ever buy GMC or any other american made car again. HOWEVER, it is the best riding and driving car EVER MADE! not work dumping gas and repairs into it.

Best American vehicle owned

by So*Cal from California | May 8, 2009

I have 2003 Envoy (purchased new),it rides like a car, have taken it on long road trips and has performed like a champ. Not bad for buying American the first I bought it.

Versatile SUV for Business or Sporting

by GMC Enthusiast from Iowa City, IA | March 2, 2009

I have really enjoyed my 2003 GMC Envoy. This is the third Envoy (formerly Jimmy series) that I have owned. It has been an excellent vehicle for kayaking (rooftopped an 18' tandem with no problems), towing my fishing boat, backwoods camping, and getting to the best fishing spots. I am also a professional/educator and the vehicle cleans up very nicely for business travel and the daily drive. I have driven clients and colleagues in the vehicle and it is comfortable and very nice-looking. It actually gets very good gas mileage (about 20 mpg for highway driving) and is quite reliable. It handles very well in Iowa's icy/snowy weather and I always felt in control. The 4WD/AWD selector is great for picking the proper level of traction. I have listed my GMC for sale because I now have a very short commute (1 mile) and we are going down to one vehicle total. However, I have enjoyed it quite a bit and I hope its next owner does too.

Great SUV, BUT....................................

by Lotsofmiles from Rochester, NY | August 29, 2008

I bought my 2003 from the original owner in March 2008 when it had 46k miles. I now have 69k on it. It is extremely comfortable on long trips, handles very well, and looks fantastic. Since then, I have replaced the alternator, but what REALLY bothers me is the 900 bucks I spent replacing the fan motor clutch, which seems to be a common problem between 50 and 60k. Do a Google search "2003 GMC Envoy, fan motor clutch" and you will see this is a very common problem. The kicker is that GMC refuses to stand behind the vehicle and do a recall or refund for an obviously defective part. They have since changed the part in newer models, an admission of a problem. Sorry GMC, despite the great ride, design, comfort, power and styling, I will NEVER buy a GMC product again. I have put 200k on Dodge vans and Volvo sedans (pre-Ford) and never had these types of problems. If you stand behind your product, you will find a loyal customer in me. If you dont, well, no more GMC for me!

Featured Services for this GMC Envoy