1997 GMC Jimmy

16.1–17 city / 20.9–30.1 hwy

Overall

own this car for 12 years but gm wont fix or repla

by bigsmooth from michigan westalnd | March 19, 2014

good car as long as u keep it up been having a problem with ignition on this model as well bought it brand new and the last 2 years my key has been stuck in the ignition ask a few ppl abd founfda few ppl with the same problem and why is there no recall on that i think gm need to really look back futher then the year they have been putting on the news this problem goes back a long way would like mine fixed or replace ment car been trying to contact them with no luck make sure u get yours check out not only that front end parts and trans as well

Fantastic Ride

by Jimmy Lover from Montreal | November 27, 2013

Classic! This car is just fantastic, the engine just emits a soothing pur and will put a smile on your face to and from your destination. What a joy.

Back when

by ArtinDC from Washington DC area | February 6, 2013

I bought my "Little Red SLT' new from a dealer in Northern VA, after months of research on the INTERNET which was NEW at that time too. I have taken this TRUCK/SUV to the Kennedy Center dressed in a Tux (me not the Jimmy), I beat it to pieces (and it survived) 2 major snow storms in DC area in 2003 (?) and 2010 (?) where I carted old people to their appointments as the snow was so deep it LIFTED the Jimmy off the ground as I floated on the snow and drove about. I loaded the back (interior) full with 48 sacks of Sakrete 80 pounds each 3840#'s nearing its max RECOMMENDED capacity of 4000#'s at Lowe's as I noticed a Ford half ton pickup axles SPLIT from similar weight. I uprooted ~ 15, 20' tall Leland Cyprus' from the ground at a rental property I have; after a Hurricane. I hauled 10 long railroad ties to another property I have. I slept in the back of the truck on the PA Turnpike, with a 12 volt plug in electric heater as I completed repairing another property I own. I had some problems general recalls, seat switch, seat belts, 2 INTERSTATE batteries, alternator...worst to replace are the spark plugs. Still runs really good even though I have some paint on my leather seats and take garbage to the dump every week. I continuously haul various building materials which actually fit EXTREMELY WELL since I can open the hatch (top) and angle items outside the back end of my Jimmy; actually giving me functional room than a pickup truck. I hauled gravel and mulch and other truck type items with my Jimmy; in 40 gallon RUBBERMAID garbage cans. I can go on and on about my "Little Red SLT' but my wife might get JEALOUS!

Typical American SUV

by hobbie2k from Minneapolis, MN | March 15, 2012

I bought my Jimmy from a friend who was recently deployed because of the low miles and low price. It has had several issues in the last few months (intake manifold gaskets, lower ball joints, front & rear wiper motors, power steering lines, and a U-joint) and all were called "common" problems. I appreciate the large cargo area, towing capacity, and some clever touches like the 3 12v outlets, useable storage bins and cup holders. I also think it's one of the better looking SUVs from the period. The rest of the truck isn't so good. The ride is harsh, the front seats are hard and uncomfortable (The worst I've ever sat in). The rear seats look spacious but are too low, even for my average 5'10" frame, forcing my knees up into the front seat-back. The lack of rear headrests are a serious safety issue for backseat passengers in the event of a rear-end collision. Safety ratings on the whole are poor. Interior build quality is only average and the materials are cheap and hard, with textures that don't match, which means lots of squeaks and rattles. Secondary controls use cheap plastic that feels like it came from a toddler's toy. Control layout isn't bad but the GM standard turn/wiper/cruise stalk is awful. I'm not a fan of the limited climate control options common to all American cars from the era. The head light switch is gimmicky, but not intrusive. The instrument panel looks cheap, but I appreciate the full set of gauges. Outward visibility is good. Fuel economy is poor and the engine doesn't feel as powerful as the numbers suggest. Steering is lifeless and loose. 4-wheel-drive, towing, and cargo capacity is nice, but I'm not sure it's worth it to buy 50% more fuel 360 days a year for features that are only useful 5 days a year and only necessary maybe 1 day every few years. Conclusion: Useful as a second vehicle, but a good mid-size car will serve 95% of people better as a daily-driver.

1997 GMC JIMMY 4WD SLE

by Me and My Jimmy from Carson City, NV | February 27, 2012

Researched other v-6 SUV's and I think this is a decent ride. The room you get in back with the seats down is quite surprising. Other SUV's not so much. the interior layout in front is good too. Cups are a little tuff to get out of holder if your in P. And the rubber thing comes out with your cup. Like the rear wiper and wash. Con's- lower intake gasket are known to go bad. Approximately six and a half bill to fix. Also, GMC had this stuff they used an antifreeze called Dex-cool. It gunks up and causes all kinds of annoyances. Mine was clogging up my heater core hoses. Flush that junk out and go with plain anti-freeze. Other than that I like my Jimmy. He and I will be making some memories for a long time I hope. We have only been together 2 months. So fingers crossed.

Great reliable vehicle

by JB from Los Angeles, CA | January 13, 2010

I purchased this car about 3 years ago for 4k. It is an SLS with leather, cruise, running boards, etc. In the last 3 years I have put in about 3k worth of random work (tires, radiator, sway bar, center link, other misc) and the car runs great. Its a very comfortable ride, has a great suspension, and is a perfect size for me. It got me from the east coast to California hauling a trailer up and down mountains and through the desert in July with no issues at all. I would definitely recommend it to a young family or a private contractor as a work vehicle.

good, but sucks back the gas

by ninja man from canada | March 20, 2009

I get around 15 miles to the gallon on a good day. I cant belive how much gas this thing uses. Especially in 4x4. Its a great vehicle other than that

GOOD DEPENDABLE CAR

by Sassy from central -- Georgia | January 27, 2008

I purchased the car 5 yrs ago and love it. I have done some work on it over the last few years. Most of the work was done on the wheel and hub and dealing with the four-wheel drive. I am still driving the car with no major motor work other than to put gaskets on the intake and the head. The car now has 235,000 miles and still going; I hope to get over 300,000 miles before I get rid of it. However I may not ever get rid of it till it completely quits.

GMC Jimmy is nice

by sueb98 from Minnesota | August 7, 2006

I have owned this truck for about 2 years now. After the first month my transmision went out at 125,000 miles. After having that replaced I have not had any other problems. I feel safe and secure in this vehicle during all of Minnesotas crazy weather patterns. The four wheel drive works like a charm during the heavy snow falls.

Featured Services for this GMC Jimmy