2000 GMC Jimmy

Available in 11 styles:  2000 GMC Jimmy 2dr 4x4 shown

Overall

Heavy Equipment Gal

by Lenny from Avalon Wisconsin | August 15, 2014

I worked running trucks & heavy equipment for over 30 years. Second owner on my Jimmy. It not only was the best vehicle I ever had for getting to & from job sites, but driving through them. I spared not a part of her from heavy duty on my property either. A tow chain & my Jimmy pulled off a bad sunroom & hauled it to the fire pit. It has gone cross country runs, short hops to town, & run arounds in the city; with 17' trailer loaded full or without, with tow package a smooth ride every time. The 4x4 in., tow chain, & pulled out a sunken 25' camper up to it's axles. BUT cleaned it up . . . still get compliments on her beauty (Diamond Edition, Black). I taught my Granddaughter to drive in it, & now my Grandson. Few minor fixes over the years. Like a unloaded semi trailer, be aware of high side winds, but worth every dime I paid & then some. 15 years since it was built, & shown no mercy; I would still drive it from coast to coast & know it will bring me home safe.

Excellent vehicle

by Hot Ride 101 from Erie, PA | July 24, 2014

This is a excellent vehicle to have!! I would definitely recommend this vehicle to any one.. A must have SUV to do more than just drive. 4wd drive is excellent in the snow, roof rack is excellent for my canoe and it drives just right when I go off roading.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

awesome reliabe car

by Bruce234 from | December 30, 2013

I have had this jimmy for a year however my dad ownedthis car for 10 years and has started without fail every day. Weather in winter or extreme heat it has never had a problem.I'm not saying it has not had its fair share of problems it is a car with moving parts. Back to my dad using this a trailer that weighed over 5000 pound on the tounge constantly and rod the axels and rear diff hard. It has had to have the diff replaced and the axels but that is with the trailer every day. It currently has 250,476 miles on it and is still running strong this is the first time the oxygen sensor had to be replaced. Overall an amazing car. Its been backed into by a semi and only left a scuff on the bumper for crying out loud :D! Its still a work truck!

Not a Blazer!

by CE CE from Wake Forest,NC | March 21, 2012

Unfortunately this is not the Blazer which is a whole lot better. That is probably why they did away with the Jimmy in 2000. The car had to have the Transmission, Fuel pump, front end and it now has a crack in the front end, Ball joints. Read the reviews.. beware

Listen

by Buffer from PA | September 27, 2010

This vehicle is a fun little SUV to drive, I get a combined EPA of 20+ mpg. Some of the known trouble spots are fuel pump and wheel hubs. If you get this for a good price, consider it.

the money pit

by live and learn from pittsburgh | September 12, 2010

Just got rid of my 2000 Jimmy. Now maybe I can go somewhere like work or down the block. First the ball joints went. Not once but three times. Then the ring and pinon, next the head gasket, then the ignition switch. then the radiator and who could forget the doors! 3 out of 4 doors either wouldn't open or close. What a piece of junk!!! Paid 6000 for it exactly 4 years ago, got 500 for it in a dealership trade. All I can say is don't do it. I took that noose of my neck, don't put one on yours.

thought it was a good idea at the time

by steggc from cedar rapids ia | November 30, 2009

i got my jimmy in the end of dec of 08. having credit problems i got it at a "buy here pay here" came with a 2 year warranty that i put to use time and time again. 2 weeks after i got it, it went in the shop for trans issues ( shifted from 1st to 5th before hitting 30mph)went in 5 times for this alone.went in a month after for ball joints. 2 weeks later had to go back in again for ball joint and needs new ones AGAIN! have lots of issues with the crummy push button 4wd gets stuck in 4 low. have a problem with the turn signal light on the dash.i, like mech from hampton had a problem with the heavy pig of a door.took out the door latch and wouldnt stay closed.of course dealer said it was my fault. took its toll and now the rivets on my window reg is messed up and the window sticks.the real only plus i can say about the jimmy is it does a good job hauling. i towed a grand prix from Detroit to iowa and amazingly got around 19mpg. its got the power for hauling mid size cars but really wouldn't haul much more have hauled a jeep it did the work but wouldnt do it again. i wouldnt recommend this suv to anyone unless they have the time and or cash to put into it

Fuel prices aren't the real issue

by cranky from | May 23, 2009

It's the fuel pump. I replaced it twice and was unable to be covered by warranty cause they said the pump didn't fit right! That was 1200 total plus 80 tow. I pushed it the 2nd time. The back seat is also not meant for 3 children if 2 car seats are needed. The ball joint can be costly too, if you don't do them yourself. Over all I put more money into the car then I paid for it- in 2yrs. I've been stranded many times with my 3 kids

That Darn Driver Door

by Mech from Hampton, VA : State College, PA | November 21, 2007

I loved my Jimmy. I bought it used in 2005 with 50000mi on it. The only technical problems I had with it was the poor design of the driver's door. The door weighed too much for the plastic bushings that were used, and because of that flaw I had to slam my door to shut it, causing the electronics to get jarred loose and not work properly. The only other problem was for the passenger seat. Not so much the seat, but the leg room for the passenger. Otherwise I loved that vehicle.

Peppy and Easy to Park... BUT:

by Jimmy from Smithfield, RI | October 25, 2006

--Arm rest way too low for any substantial cruising comfort. --Cruise control has broken twice. --Vehicle is a bit narrow; and, though easy to park, can feel a bit rollover-prone at highway speeds. --Seems essentially well assembled but on a platform

Featured Services for this GMC Jimmy