1997 GMC Sierra 1500

Available in 16 styles:  Sierra 1500 Regular Cab SL shown

Overall

Sweet Truck

by JAM#One from Brooksville, FL | September 7, 2013

When on vacation, a friend lent me her '96 Sierra. I enjoyed driving the truck so much that I came home and bought my '97 Sierra. The truck was my sole source of transportation for our first five years. Its use these days is intermittent work and pleasure. With 56,000 original miles, my Sierra is dependable, comfortable and still fun to drive.

Keeping this truck forever!

by Truck Lover from Phoenix, AZ | June 12, 2011

I purchased my GMC Sierra base work truck in 1997 for $16,400. It had no radio or rear bumper, was very limited on the options included. It's a 4.3L V6 with Laguna Blue-Green Metallic paint. I have over 132,000 miles on it now and I put my foot into the pedal every single day that I have driven it. I have the original Motor and Transmission with no repairs to either. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and the only modifications I have made the the truck were a K&N air filter, Magna Flow dual exhaust system and a shift kit was put into the transmission. I have 3.08 gears running BFG A/Ts 33x11.50 and I kid you not, this truck gets hole shot on almost every vehicle. Of course not high end exotic sports cars but I usually beat vehicles like Trailblazer SS AWD and Cobalt SS' off the line all the way to 60mph. I keep up with all my buddies who have 4.8l V8 and 5.3l V8s when we drive on the freeway. My V6 is definitely something that would not be expected from six cylinders . Aside from the performance I have the original paint. I live in North-West Phoenix, Arizona and the heat/sun is a paint peeler here. My truck sat outside for three years when I got another vehicle and I do not even have so much as the clear coat peeling. The interior has held up absolutely great, my only problem has been the arm rests tend to break where the black plastic alignment clips lock it into place. So I would not advise putting your weight on those. I do have the manual windows/locks door panel so the power panel might be different. The bench seat has not even flattened where I sit, the foam is still firm and has no wear and tear at all. I know I will never get rid of this vehicle because even if the motor grenades one day I can go buy a GM 4.3L Crate motor for a couple grand and keep my mint condition truck!

My truck is amazing.

by Stephanie from Rattan, Ok | October 26, 2010

I recieved my 1997 GMC truck from my father for christmas in 2008, it was the best gift I have ever recieved! I have had this truck for two years now and as a college student miles away from home I have put thousands of miles on it and almost all was with a horse trailer behind me. I have had no problems at all with this truck. Definatly recomended!

Uses car for Towing

Can't complain at all.

by Hillbilly from North East, Md | May 3, 2009

Bought the truck in the fall of 99. It now has 257,000 miles on it and it still runs great. Just replaced the radiator on it for the first time. The transmission went out on it around 120,000 miles and had to replace the lower intake gasket later on. That's the only two things that was major. The intake gasket was actually one of the recalls that they had for this year. Very comfortable ride far as seating and suspension. Like the power also. It'll still light them up no problem. Very Happy with this truck. In fact when the engine finally goes , I'll drop another in it and keep going. Have no rust issues at all. Using it for work ,going to the dumps and hunting. All around great truck.

Disappointmented greatly

by blueice from Maine | April 13, 2009

I have had three gmc trucks in the last ten years and I could not fault any but the 1997 we purchased two years ago with just 61,000 on it. A gargage baby. It is one thing after another and we can not find a set of tires that we don't have to lock in the 4x4 to get it off the lawn or back out of a gravel driveway due to its light weight and spinning. The brakes are never right and they have been fixed, replaced and everything else, also the steering is now gone bad and no matter what we replace it locks up on slow turns. It is one repair after another and at 91 thousand, it will be gone soon as I can not trust it to haul my horse trailer safely. I will hook up the dodge of my husband's with a broken heart. I loved my 1996's but this one is the biggest disappointment of my life.

Best vehicle I ever owned

by Jimbo from Salina Kansas | May 24, 2008

Bought new in 1997, very little repair done to truck, regular oil changes, etc. Have had 2 front brake jobs, no rear brakes in 101,000 miles. Replaced water pump and battery only once. Truck still looks great and is the most comfortable sitting vehicle I ever owned. The handling and power is top notch also.

WOW!!! I love my truck

by No Nickname from All Over | April 9, 2007

Hands down the best truck I have ever owned. I hate to get rid of it but 200113 miles was one heck of a ride..

Featured Services for this GMC Sierra 1500