GMC's Yukon XL is the brand's flagship SUV, available in base half-ton (1500) and three-quarter-ton (2500) versions and a top-of-the-line Denali trim. The Yukon XL is available with a choice of V-8 engines, some of which feature fuel-management systems that deactivate four cylinders during low-load situations. The Yukon XL is closely related to its GM cousin, the Chevrolet Suburban; the only other extra-long full-size SUV is the Ford Expedition EL.
New for 2011
There are no significant changes.
The Yukon XL has integrated running boards, and Denali models have a number of features that distinguish them from other models, including a chrome grille and 20-inch wheels.
The Yukon XL measures about 20 inches longer than the regular Yukon, at 222.4 inches long, with a width of 79.1 inches.
Exterior features include:
- Standard power heated side mirrors
- Chrome honeycomb grille (Denali)
- Optional power liftgate
- Available power-operated retractable running boards
High-quality fixtures include flush-mounted controls, low-gloss materials and chrome instrument surrounds. For maximum seating capacity, the Yukon XL can have three rows of seats to accommodate up to nine occupants.
- Standard leather-wrapped steering wheel with redundant controls
- Standard XM Satellite Radio with real-time traffic info
- Available cloth, vinyl or leather-appointed seats
- Available integrated rear camera in rearview mirror
- Available heated/cooled seats
- Available third-row DVD system
Under the Hood
The Yukon XL is available with rear- or four-wheel drive. The Yukon Denali can have a permanent all-wheel-drive system that's distinct from the available part-time four-wheel drive on the regular Yukon.
There is an integrated brake controller option, which provides proper brake-force signaling to a trailer's brake systems, and a heavy-duty trailering package. Yukon XL 2500 models replace the five-link coil-spring suspension with heavy-duty multileaf springs. A hydraulic brake booster in the 2500 model supplements the braking system with additional pressure. When properly equipped, the 2500 model can tow up to 9,600 pounds; 1500 models can tow a maximum of 8,100 pounds.
- Six-speed automatic transmission
- Power rack-and-pinion steering
- Flex-fuel 320-horsepower, 5.3-liter iron-block V-8 with 335 pounds-feet of torque and available cylinder deactivation (1500)
- Flex-fuel 352-hp, 6.0-liter V-8 with 382 pounds-feet of torque and variable valve timing (2500)
- Flex-fuel 403-hp, 6.2-liter V-8 with 417 pounds-feet of torque
- Optional variable load-leveling suspension
Safety options include a blind spot warning system, a rearview camera system integrated into the rearview mirror, rear parking assist and rain-sensing wipers.
Standard safety features include:
- Front dual-stage airbags with passenger-sensing system
- Side curtain airbags with rollover sensor
- Seat-mounted thorax airbags
- Four-wheel-disc antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system with traction control
People Who Viewed This Car Also Viewed
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the GMC Yukon XL 1500
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.