2012 GMC Yukon XL 1500
Starting MSRP $43,555–$60,760
GMC's Yukon XL is the brand's flagship SUV, available in base half-ton (1500) and three-quarter-ton (2500) versions and a top-of-the-line Denali trim. The Yukon XL offers seating for up to nine people and is available with a choice of V-8 engines that feature fuel-saving cylinder-deactivation technology that shuts down four cylinders under light loads. The Yukon XL is closely related to its GM cousin, the Chevrolet Suburban. Both compete against the Ford Expedition EL.
New for 2012
Yukon XL SLT models now come standard with heated leather-trimmed front seats, and a heated steering wheel is optional. GM's blind spot warning system is now standard on Denali versions. Yukon XLs with the available backseat entertainment system gain a screen for the third row, and a new navigation radio that features a USB port and the ability to record broadcasts is available.
The Yukon XL has integrated running boards, and Denali versions have a number of features that distinguish them from other models, including a chrome honeycomb grille and 20-inch wheels.
The Yukon XL measures about 20 inches longer than the regular Yukon, at 222.4 inches long, with a width of 79.1 inches. Exterior features include:
- Standard power heated side mirrors
- Standard 17-inch wheels; 20- and 22-inch wheels optional
- Optional power liftgate
- Optional power-operated retractable running boards
- Optional power sunroof
High-quality fixtures include flush-mounted controls, low-gloss materials and chrome instrument surrounds. For maximum seating capacity, the Yukon XL can have three rows of seats to accommodate up to nine occupants. Interior features include:
- Standard leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls
- Standard satellite radio
- Standard Bose stereo
- Cloth or leather-appointed seats
- Available integrated backup camera in rearview mirror
- Available heated/cooled front seats
- Available DVD entertainment system
Under the Hood
The Yukon XL is available with rear- or four-wheel drive. The Yukon XL Denali can have a permanent all-wheel-drive system that's distinct from the available part-time four-wheel drive on regular models.
An available integrated trailer brake controller option provides proper brake-force signaling to a trailer's brake systems. A heavy-duty Trailering Package is also available. Yukon XL 2500 models replace the five-link coil-spring rear suspension with heavy-duty multileaf springs. A hydraulic brake booster in the 2500 model supplements the braking system with additional pressure.
When properly equipped, the 2500 model can tow up to 9,600 pounds; 1500 models can tow a maximum of 8,100 pounds. Mechanical features include:
- Six-speed automatic transmission
- Flex-fuel 320-horsepower, 5.3-liter V-8 with 335 pounds-feet of torque and fuel-saving cylinder deactivation (1500)
- Flex-fuel 352-hp, 6.0-liter V-8 with 382 pounds-feet of torque (2500)
- Flex-fuel 403-hp, 6.2-liter V-8 with 417 pounds-feet of torque (1500)
- Optional variable load-leveling rear suspension
- Optional Off-Road Suspension Package
Safety options include a blind spot warning system and rear parking sensors. Standard safety features include:
- Side curtain airbags with rollover sensor
- Seat-mounted side-impact airbags for the front seats
- Four-wheel-disc antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system with traction control
- Recovery hooks
Cars.com Expert Reviews
|Kelsey Mays||Cars.com National||August 23, 2012|
|Cars.com Staff||Cars.com National||October 14, 2011|
People Who Viewed This Car Also Viewed
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the GMC Yukon XL 1500
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.