2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

50 city / 45 hwy

Overall

Traded up from an Acura

by Honda Happy from Indiana | September 25, 2014

Had an Acura TSX for 8 yrs and loved it. But the only hybrid they have is the ILX and it is not much more than a Civic hybrid. So when I found one of the scare Accord Hybrids, I grabbed it and have never looked back. It is way better than the Acura. It is so technologically sophisticated, comfortable, quiet and powerful. I am now 4500 miles into it and its averaging 49+ MPG including some long, fast trips. It is true that if you speed at 75 mph you average 42 MPG and it is also true you will get a speeding ticket. And isn't the idea of a hybrid to drive in such a way as to conserve gasoline anyway? Some trips in the neighborhood mostly go off the battery and it says 114 MPG. I have fun just seeing how high I can get the mileage. And it is neat to see the miles to empty > 800 miles after a fill-up (of which I have only done 6 times).

Not What I Expect From Honda

by Larryhat from Dallas, TX | September 10, 2014

After 3500 miles my 2014 Accord Hybrid is sitting at my local dealer with a loud popping noise coming from the drivers side front. My "overall" MPG is 39! When I asked the service people why they gave me the old "Ford" answer...you have to break it in. Between my wife and I, this is our 4th Hybrid in the past 3 years. The past 3: 2012 Camry Hybrid, 2013 Lexus 300H, and 2013 Lexus CT200H all lived up to their mileage hype right off the showroom floor. My Accord is the touring model, and I would tell my friends to spend several thousand less and buy the Camry version instead. It delivered on it's promise and I had no mechanical problems with it.

Strange whistling sound

by Honda Loyalist from Paoli, PA | September 8, 2014

I purchased my car 6 months ago. This is my 3rd Honda. I noticed a whistling sound shortly after purchasing the vehicle. The sound intensifies after a few minutes of driving when accelerating and when braking. The service department has said that this is the nature of the car. It is like nails on a chalkboard. I am not a happy consumer. I would NOT recommend this vehicle.

MPG live up to hype IF you drive slow enough

by Had a Yukon Hybrid from North Carolina coast | September 6, 2014

I bought this vehicle after looking at several other Hybrids. The Yukon I traded in got about 20-mpg and I hated even driving it across town but it was big enough to live in if need be. I read many articles and reviews but the MPG I get does not match the hype. My girlfriend drove about 150 miles on the Interstate at 60 MPH and got 50-mpg but I don't drive that slow and it shows in my averages. I have put about 8500 miles on the car in six weeks and an average over 3500 of those miles is only about 40-MPG. I just got back from a trip to the mid-west and (even through the mountains) I averaged about 42-MPG. I'll admit I drive between 70 and 75-MPH on the Interstate so the MPG is directly related to speed. I'm not unhappy but I had hoped for better. The car is a bit on the small-ish side especially the trunk. I got the Touring Edition and am disappointed that it doesn't have more cush and storage. The passenger seat only goes fore/aft and reclines. It has Lane Departure Warning and Collision Alert but the chime is so soft that if you were looking away at that instant you might miss out. The transmission is NOISY until you get up to cruising speed. The Navigation is good for route planning but my old Garmin does a much better job of finding things (like specific restaurants) nearby. A smart phone links up easily but the cars interface is difficult to use. I feel like I've pointed out more than a few bad things and - so- on the positive side let me say it is an excellent highway cruiser. It holds curves like a sports car (Did I mention I drive fast?) and the suspension is TIGHT making most pavement rough-spots easy to tolerate. he Adaptive Cruise Control works very well but takes getting used to. I'll keep the car for the next several years and then probably get a Lincoln or M-B.

Awesome HAH Touring!

by DanoRox from Ohio | September 5, 2014

We purchased the Honda Accord Hybrid (HAH)Touring a month ago and it has met all our expectations overall (exceeding some, not quite there on some others). First of all the car is very comfortable, quiet and fuel efficient. I'm 6' tall and have no trouble finding a comfortable driving position. The car is extremely quiet especially when in EV mode and so far is averaging 45 mpg, albeit mostly highway miles. Where it falls a little short is in the audio technology. The HDD is an great feature for storing a lot of music (4,000+ songs) but editing the albums is very cumbersome and frustrating compared to the HDD that we had in our 2012 Acura TL. The redundant dual audio screens are a waste of space on the dash. And the quality of the sound is atrocious for a system with a sub woofer. The overall sound quality is muddled and lacks clarity on the high end and punch on the low end. But then again our previous car was an Acura TL with the ELS audio system. One of my favorite features is the Adaptive Cruise Control. It works great and should be required on all cars. Makes long distance driving less stressful by keeping a safe distance between you and the car in front of you. One thing I haven't gotten used to is the lack of a tachometer and the "shiftless" electronic CVT. The regular Accord 4 cylinder with the mechanical CVT has artificial shift points programmed in the ICU to mimic a normal automatic transmission. The Accord Hybrid drives like a go cart, endlessly revving as you increase speed. A bit annoying but with the tradeoff being stellar gas mileage, I'll take the better gas mileage. Overall we love the car. We have always owned luxury or near luxury cars (Acura, Infiniti, Lexus) and find the Accord Hybrid Touring to almost cross that threshold. If Acura comes out with a hybrid TLX that meets or exceeds our Accord's mpg, quietness and technology we may not have this car for a long period of time. If they don't, I imagine our HAH will be a member of our family for a very long time.

great expations

by mickey sclafani from port st lucie fla. | September 1, 2014

i"ve had this car 4 only {4 } months and so far it has beat all i had expected from it so far. it is giving me the gas mileage it said it would. but the safety features on it on the road worked good especialy when cars get 2 close in front of u. and honda service is excelent mickey sclafani

Nice Car

by Owlguin from Boca Raton, FL | August 16, 2014

I've had this car a few months now, an EX-L. My other possible choice was the Camry Hybrid (I was replacing a 2008 Camry Hybrid). I ended up choosing the Honda because I did not like the new leather-1/2 suede seating in the Camry, the Honda advertised better mileage and was sportier. Overall I have been pleased. I have averaged about 42 MPG, less than expected on a daily 52 mile round trip that is 90% highway. I've noticed that the MPG is reduced considerably on the highway if you travel more than 65 MPH. The drive is great, the car is very quite in the city, a bit noisier than expected on the highway. I'll never understand why there is no compass and coin holder, little annoyances. I'm 6'1" and would like just a little more leg room to drive with, especially the left footrest cuts off room considerably. Overall I am pleased. I would once again look at both cars the next time around though.

Gas Mileage is really True to EPA ratings

by Sam from Washington DC | August 14, 2014

I own the Touring model and have clocked 4400 miles at an average of a whooping 49.7 mpg. This is over both highway and local/city driving and hence I can say without hesitation that the gas mileage of 47 mpg combined is real and no tall claim. Having said this, I want to share that when I was making a decision to buy a hybrid car, I also looked at the Toyota Camry and the Ford Fusion 2014 models. I found the Camry to be a solid driving experience, however, I was disappointed with the interior design of the Camry. To me it appeared to be a bit tacky and somewhat cheap in terms of the plastics used and also the confusing single display screen which is also smaller in comparison to the Accord. The ford fusion on the other hand is a very good car with almost the same gas mileage and a good solid drive. It was difficult to decide between the two (Accord & Fusion) and ultimately since I already have two Hondas that have served me for over 10 years without any problems, I decided on the Accord. Some other items that only the Honda Accord has that I appreciate after driving the car for over 4000+ miles are the right side mirror that removes the blind spot (Lane watch) and the Adaptive Cruise Control(ACC). The lane watch is quite amazing as it can also be used on demand and provides a great view of the surrounding and the ACC is very useful but takes some getting used to. Overall I am very happy with my purchase and feel very strongly that anybody who is considering a hybrid car should take a very serious look at the Honda Accord.

Excelent so far

by Terry from North Wisconsin (Lots of snow) | August 11, 2014

We just purchased this car 3 weeks ago. We owned a 2009 Civic EX-L, 2010 CRV EX-L, and now this Accord Hybrid. My wife rolled the civic and slid 40 feet in a ditch in Northern Wisconsin upside down. I am convinced she would have died in any other small car, but the Honda was safe, and she was protected. We decided to go with more protection, so went with the CRV EX-L. We were not as happy with this car. It burned oil and gave us incorrect info on the engine oil. We also had problems with our AC. There was a recall, but the AC was never really corrected. This may have been just this particular car, but while having it in to service we test drove and fell in love with the Accord. I haven't had this car for long, but I give it high ratings on comfort. The interior is well laid out. This Hybrid has actually caused me to be more conscientious about my driving habits, as well as my wife. The car is solid, beautiful interior/exterior, and most importantly very economical! So far I highly recommend this model to anyone.

A balance of Economy and Performance

by Accord Hybrid Owner from Springfield, MO | August 8, 2014

I've put nearly 10,000 miles on my Accord Hybrid so far. I've averaged about 46 MPG with many of those miles coming over the recent cold winter. Using the heat can really take a hit especially on shorter trips. In the summer months I've averaged 60-65 MPG in town. On several road trips I've averaged right around 45 MPG. Favorite Features: Comfort, handling, amazing MPG especially for the size and power of the vehicle. Suggested Improvements: Improve voice recognition, better infotainment functionality. less engine revving when accelerating.