2008 Honda Civic Hybrid

40 city / 45 hwy

Overall

First it was Calipers, now IMA Battery

by Third and last Honda I'll own from Northern Virginia | November 13, 2014

This is my third brand New Honda Civic and my last. I was very pleased with the last two - so much that I bought the Hybrid. After replacing the tires three months after purchase because there were no treads left and the calipers would not adjust enough to fix the problem (that was my first $1000 out of my pocket). Then, two years later I started having the IMA battery light go on & off - right after they "Fixed" the recall on the IMA battery and I lost three miles to the gallon (that was my next $1000.). Now its the $2650. IMA Battery. Lesson learned.

IMA Battery Fails

by Honda Hybrid Hater from Kansas | October 25, 2014

This car was great until the IMA battery light went off. Didn't have chance to get it in until we had just over 95,000 miles on the car because the light would turn off for awhile and then turn back on randomly. Didn't think anything of it and finally the light stayed on. Took it into a Honda Dealership to have it evaluated. The IMA battery needs replacing. Costs about $2600 to replace which is a 1/3 of the value of the car. Asked Honda to help out as we were only 3000 miles over the warranty of 92,000 (if it was a 2006 it would have been 96,600 and covered or if I lived in California it would be 150,000). They said that because the Honda Dealership representative said we were out of the warranty and that because we hadn't had our oil changed at a Honda Dealership, they couldn't overturn his decision. Asked if there was anyone that could. Answer was no. They were also awful to deal with and did not return calls for over a week. I am EXTREMELY disappointed in Honda and this car. I will NEVER buy another Honda again. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR.

Not made for northeastern winters

by Disappointed from Rochester, NY | August 12, 2014

There is a 5 year rust warranty with no mileage limit on this vehicle. At just under 6 years, the front of one of the rear wheel wells is rusting through. This is to be expected in this area on a 10 - 12 year old car but not on a car this age. My complaints to Honda were dismissed given my location (upstate New York) and mileage (110,000). The car sits low, the wheel wells pack with snow and traction is poor - snow tires are a necessity. The car has been very reliable to date and low maintenance, gets about 35 mpg, but it accelerates poorly and has poor sight lines.

EXCELLENT ON GAS

by YOU CANT KILL A HONDA!!! from SPRING HILL, FL | November 23, 2013

THIS CARS HANDLING IS TIGHT AND ACCELERATION IS IMMEDIATE ( DROVE FROM PITTSBURG PA. TO SPRING HILL FL.) 1020 MILES FUEL COST $ 80.00 .43 MPG HWY!!!! VERY IMPRESSED

Loved this car!

by Nanny O from Massachusetts | May 12, 2013

Bought new hybrid, no problems with battery, after 5 years needed realignment and new tires, at 50,000 miles, car worked like a champion! Loved it, traded up, super car for the gas and environmentally conscious. Highly recommend, gas mileage was 42 to 45, depending on hwy vs city.

Avberage mpg

by Grandpa from Atlanta | March 18, 2013

Nic apprearing, nice ride. Disappointed in mileage. Best I habe gotten is 35.2 mpg. Was hoping for something closer to 40mpg.

It's the worst!

by Joe from Ca | January 10, 2013

2008 hch bought brand new paid off. Always ima battery problem. It broke twice and it was been a hassle to me because the reliability was the worst. I should have bought a prius instead that has 150k warranty. Honda would not extend the warrantiy on the ima battery after 80k because they know 8 out of 10 consumers will have problems on their ima batteries. Small engine and small ima battery, i guess bad combination. Anyways, i traded in with honda pilot and the worst is, they only bought it for 8k. Value? I don't know about that. It does not really give you the proper mpg until you manually calculate it.

Do the research

by not a fan from Atlanta | November 23, 2012

We did not realize before we bough a 2008 Civic Hybrid that the electric batteries tend to fail. Just had to replace the battery, Honda actually gave us a deal, cost $1200 or thereabouts. The car has 120,000 miles on it. It also has had a problem where it would just not go, driving along and then it had no power. It ended up being something in the computer that had to be re-programmed. My husband drives this car and had the repairs done, so I can't be more specific, I just know that we have had some major issues with this car! Best MPG has been about 46 mpg, it's more like 40 average.

Best Car I've Ever Owned

by Fuel Saver from Colorado Springs, CO | October 24, 2011

I had been considering getting a hybrid for several years but just kept putting it off, I am kicking myself for waiting so long! I love my 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid. I've had it for 3 months and have loved every minute of it! I drive 140+ miles/day 5 days a week and consistently get 45+ mpg. I am saving enough in gas to make my car payment! I was hesitant switching from a SUV to a much smaller Civic afraid I was going to compromise comfort and space and haven't felt that way at all. With a few small adjustments I can load up the dogs and head out for our weekend adventures in comfort. Hands down the best car decision I've ever made.

Best deal I ever came across

by In need of new-used car from Santa Cruz CA | January 18, 2011

This car showed more amenities than I even knew I wanted. It was very well-photographed and featured online, and the price was right. It gave all the information I needed to go for a test drive and then to purchase it. This is the best car I could have gotten and I love it.

Featured Services for this Honda Civic Hybrid