2011 Honda Civic Hybrid

See Photos & Videos

Overall

nice car, herky jerky

by around town, northern virginia from Fairfax Virginia | July 23, 2013

We have had the honda hybrid civic 2011 since we bought it new in 2011. Our car has automatic transmission, no navigation and no bluetooth. (We use a Garmin GPS and a Jabra Freeway for those functions). We have 26,000 miles on it. First, it gets the mileage we expected. We are getting around 40 miles per gallon in local driving and up to 51 miles per gallon on long distance freeway driving at speeds up to 75 mph. The problem is the car lurches when going at slow speeds, which is pretty common in traffic in Northern Virginia. Step on the accelerator normally and the car feels like a teenager just learning to drive a manual transmission. It lurches a bit when it gets going and at slow speeds. Honda America (HQ) said, when we complained about the herky jerky motions, that it is part of the design of the car. Nothing to be done about it. Clearly, to me, just poor engineering. Difficult to believe that a company with Honda's reputation has such poor engineering and will not do anything to correct it, but that appears to be the case. At 25,000 miles the dealer replaced the power steering module under warranty. It was not causing trouble, but my wife heard a squeal in the steering. When we brought it in for regular servicing, the mechanic checked this and decided to replace the power steering. This was under the factory warranty. Good service as far as I'm concerned. We have purchased the 100,000 mile warranty to be sure that we don't run into any further surprises.

Great car

by Commuter from Washington DC. | February 22, 2013

I am pretty confused with the other posts I have been reading, my Civic Hybrid I have 1 problem and it was fixed quickly at no cost to me as it was under warranty. My average Gas Mileage is 40.5 city, to 47 highway. Stop and go traffic in Northern VA has gotten it down to 38 mpg though. I have a feeling that quite a few people don't understand how to use the MPG meter. If you keep track of that and how you press the gas pedal it pretty much teaches you how to extend your gas mileage. Getting 40+ is very easy with this car. The Quality of the interior is great for the cost. Very comfortable. My wife is very short (4'11") and she can drive it comfortably with good vision. The exterior I like a lot, because it looks like a normal car, I find the Prius to look pretty goofy. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good quality hybrid.

Not effcicient at all

by NVG from | September 14, 2011

I have purchased the Honda hybrid 2011 in hope, it will save me a gas and I do have respect of Honda as a car as well. For 25K cost you are expecting good quality and moreover ….. a hybrid efficiency of gas mileage, as it is advertised with the big numbers on the car sticker 40 city, 44 high way. Yes but NO. When I took the car of the dealer, for the first month, the gas mileage was fluctuating between 38-42 city in average 45-60 mileage /hr with the AC on 2bars of its power. After 3 months, went down to 28-33mlg/G. Took the car to the shop for the first time oil change and had them check the software and told the dealer what my concern was about. Was told there was a slide update and that’s it. Took the car off the shop and from the distance of proximally 30 miles it went up to 38 mlg / G. I was so happy!!! But after 3 days it went back to 28 Mlg/G and now is average 33.2 Mlg/ G. Was told from the dealers to keep the receipt for 3 full gas tanks and to come back. I did it. And after the second check was told that this is normal and was told that at the beginning the car was given good gas mileage, because it at March the weather is cold and the engine is ruining more efficiently!?!?!?!?! And I should be careful when buying a car because is it saying on the window sticker with tiny shrift that the real gas mileage is 33-37 in city. Yes it says that! So what is the conclusion DO NOT BUY HONDA civic HYBRID, there are much less cost cars on the market and with the regular engine, not being a hybrid and which one are approaching the same gas mileage 29-31 city. Buying HONDA civic hybrid is just not worth the money. This is the worst Hybrid on the market If it says 40/44 it doesn’t say in what condition the car is achieving this rate!? And in my question, how is possible another car ,same year Honda CIVIC hybrid 2011, longer distance to my work, is achieving 38-40 city, and I know the colleague of mine is running the AC on 3-4 bars all the time. The manager of the tech service was nice to tell me at least he will talk with the Honda engineers. I doubt will call me at all with any solution or reasonable explanation. I doubt also that when it’s getting colder the car will improve the gas mileage and become hybrid; this is silly because winter time the engine needs more gas to heat up the system.

Hybrid Too Irritating

by Tim from Florida | May 29, 2011

Ok so I was looking at the new Civics. Never thinking of the Hybrid. My salesman introduced me to one in the lot. Took it for a test drive and I liked the ride and the total car....at least at the time, I did. When I got the car home I noticed all the jerking and stopping. The hybrid with its on and off motor is soooo irritating that I cant explain in words. Stopping at a light, it goes into auto stop. Fine. But starting back up, its like as if you popped a clutch. You cant inch up to a parking spot without that jerkiness. I love the Civic, its like driving a sports car. But the hybrid part, I regret daily. Plus you dont get the gas mileage as they state. Iam getting around 32 city and 38 highway. I will keep it another year and unload the hybrid. Maybe get another Civic being as they changed styles but never the Hybrid