1991 Honda Civic

Information Coming Soon

Overall

Best Invention Ever

by Paul from Renton, WA. | February 19, 2014

I bought new my '91 Civic Hatchback in Oct., '90. I still have it and it drives as well as when I drove it off the lot over 23 years ago. It has 331,000 miles on it. Both the engine and transmission are the original and neither has been rebuilt/overhauled. I have always changed the oil and filter EVERY 2,000 miles. Except for maybe 6 times, I've jacked up my car and crawled underneath it every time, but it's definitely worth it. Even more amazing is that on road trips I still get 50+ mpg. I kid you not. I've checked this on 3 different long-distance trips even after 300,000 on my car. No American car manufacturer has ever been, or will ever be, able to build such a car. My next goal is 500,000 miles.

A GREAT CAR

by metric from Woodridge IL. | April 30, 2011

A have this 91 Honda Civic DX in my family for 17 years, I drive this car to work every day for 12 years, change the oil at 3000 miles and just do regular maintenance on it, it's got only 118,000 mile and a hope I can drive this car for 5 more years... The only complaint is the auto trans. I wood like a 5speed trans on it for more power...

best $400 dollars ive ever spent

by 91 civic ef9 from rochester,NY | January 31, 2010

I bought the car used from the original owner as a "winter beater" with only 90k on it 6 years ago for $400 dollars fell in love with it large cargo area hatchback especially when you put the back seat down i put an integra motor in it took it on many road trip great mpg near 40 close to 300 miles on a full tank small tank cost about $20 or less when it was almost 4 a galon the only issue is no cup holders lol bottom line its a great car

Best car ive ever had

by 91 honda civic sedan from | September 19, 2009

The 91 civic sedan is a great car gets has great gas mileage, gets in the 40's not even some of the new Honda's get that good of mpg. It is really low to the ground and easy to see out of. The car can take a beating. I think it looks kinda of like a small BMW. Really fun to drive even though having only 92 horse. I had two 91 civic sedans and both got over 3000000.

Long life budget wagon

by PRL from Arlington, VA | November 3, 2008

Bought used at 80,000, our manual wagon had 190,000 on the clock by the time a tree fell on it and it was totalled. Pluses - other than the expected oil changes, tires, brakes, the only major work needed was a reconditioned gearbox at 160,000. Fuel economy good, more like 25-30mpg around town. Back seat folds down for great wagon utility. Interior plastics held up to long hard use. Minuses - typical for an econo-car of its time, no power steering (heavy steering and clutch), no power locks or windows, no ABS or airbags, drivers side mirror only (why no passenger mirror?), air-con too weak for the Virginia summer, and rear hatch struts too weak (watch your head!). Overall incredibly reliable, cheap to run, basic transport.

Hondas Trooper!

by I'm A Honda Man from Greenville, SC | May 18, 2008

I bought this car new back in 91'. It's a Civic Hatch/Wagon, great little car for around town and for those long road trips. I've been to Tampa, Florida about 12 or 13 times and only had one problem, it started running a little rough so i rebuilt the top-engine and now it runs great! The little guy has got over 275,000 miles and still running. Since i tinkered with it a little, i lowered the timing and i get about 36 mpg/city and 40 mpg/highway, so it's great with todays gas prices!

Guiness Recognition?

by Paul from Renton, WA. | February 10, 2008

I bought my '91 Civic new in Oct. '90 and it still runs like a top. I change the oil and oil filter every 2,000 miles without fail. It now has more than 256,000 miles on it and the engine block has not been overhauled or rebuilt. Two negatives: (a) having to jack up the car and crawling under it everytime to change the oil filter and (b) no A/C.

4thGen Civics are amazing!

by HondaFan from ohio | November 27, 2006

I've owned 3 Hondas, so I'm a bit biased, but just one Civic, but I plan on buying a few more now that my 90 HB is pretty beat up (hit by truck) and has no AC. This is a wonderfully designed and built car, esp if you are shorter than average, due to the famed Honda Low Cawl design. This, along with sloping hood and tilt wheel, allows excellent visibility. Styling caught my eye with 3rd Gen, but as soon as they rounded off the boxyness- classic design that went astray until the new 7th Gen Civic sedan.

A Reliable Car

by Mr Reliable from California | November 10, 2006

The cost of repairs and good gas mileage make this car a great buy in 2006. I have three cars, but I continue to drive the honda most of the time. The gas mileage is great! I have not had any major repairs required and it is still going strong.

Not the best Honda

by preeeus from Sonoma County, CA | July 29, 2006

I own a 91 Honda Civic 4-door sedan. THE GOOD: Gas mileage is great. 9 gallons to fill up, about 250-300 miles per tank. Peppy - drives like a go-cart Roomy - enough headroom for a 6 footer. Lots of trunk space. THE BAD: Seatbelt design - I call these the "strangle belts" that automatically belt you in when you shut the door. I had a problem with the door latch and the seatbelt opened and closed all the way home while on the freeway. I heard at one point these seatbelts were recalled. Electronics - I have had nothing but trouble with the electrical system. The car died several times while driving down the street, wouldn't restart after driving short distances. It was tricky to diagnose, but it was a solenoid overheating. There is a history of electrical problems with this model. Paint - the factory paint is very cheap and peels. Safety - no airbags, not much protection in this small car. No cupholders OVERALL: This car seemed like a bargain at the time (paid $7K in 99), but I would not buy the same car again. It is an OK car for around town, but breaks down a lot on long trips (more than 300 miles).

Featured Services for this Honda Civic