1996 Honda Civic

$609–$6,609

Overall

bulletproof d-series engine

by lukehimself from TN | April 5, 2015

I traded my 1996 Ford Explorer v6 for this 96 Honda Civic DX, after putting repairs into the Explorer I didn't regret for a second trading even for a non vtec Civic that needed a little love. after a basic tune up and a few worn parts replaced, I feel more safe driving the Civic any day over any other car I have owned. when I say safe, I mean in the terms of will this car break down on me on a thousand mile trip, or not. the engine is so reliable at a hundred and forty thousand miles, that I have invested in a full turbo setup to boost the output of the engine. there are people on record running 15 pounds of boost on these D series engines clocking in over a hundred thousand miles. for a person 6 foot or taller, this car can seem a bit cramped. the interior is well designed and solid, but the driver windows have a chance of coming off track on every model. I love the styling of the car, and there's an unlimited number of add ons accessories aftermarket parts excetera. great car I love it!

Just...okay

by Steven from St. Louis, MO | March 9, 2015

I've heard for years how good Hondas are suppose to be and I bought this one used about five months ago and have never been so disappointed. In five months I've already put about $2,000 into it for repairs. Yes, it is a '96, but I had a '93 Chevy Lumina before this and it was a MUCH better car. Every time I turn around it needs something. Engine light came on this morning on my way into work. Piece of junk!

great car

by subsidedcircle from west pines | January 21, 2015

recently got this car as my first car its very reliable and i would put comfort higher but i am a 6'2'' tall guy so i dont quite fit in the car but any one smaller like 6' and under this is a great buy

Great 16yr old car!!

by Working Soccer Mom from Tinley Park, IL | September 1, 2012

We bought this car used about 5yrs ago. It replaced and Accord that I totaled. This is probably the 3rd Civic I've had in my 30yrs of driving!! It's still going strong. We have had to replace/fix the typical things you'd expect on a car with 150,000 miles: radiator, exhaust system, tires, brakes, etc. It passed the emissions test last month however the check engine light comes on intermittently. The only complaint is the electric windows and door locks. We had it all rewired a few years ago and now it's starting to act up again and the A/C doesn't work. But I can't talk my husband into replacing it since it does get 35mpg and he drives 40+ miles each day round trip. Wish we could find another '96 but with only 50,000 miles on it!!

Its gets me where i have to go.

by Gas Saver from warner robins, ga | April 2, 2012

Good on gas. Couple problems here and there! I use it for work and school the most. Its full with $20 on gas, so that's one good thing.

Meh

by purple from Greenville, SC | December 29, 2011

I bought this car when I had just turned 19. It had just under 200,000 miles on it. It's a cute little car. I liked the fact that it had a manual transmission. It was fun and easy to drive. I felt safe in it, but it was a lot to keep up with. It was in and out of the shop at least once a month for the first 5 months that I had it. After I put about $2,000 worth of repairs into is (which is the same amount that i bought it for) it ran well for about 6 months and then the distributor broke and that was going to be another $700-$800 dollars that I didn't want to spend. I know that buying a car with that many miles on it is risky, but I had always heard that Hondas can run forever...I'm sure they can if you keep pouring money into them.

1996 Honda Civic LX

by NascarNut from Chatham, MA | December 31, 2010

This has been an extremely reliable car for the past 145,000 miles. The only problem has been with the main wiring harness cracking and the power door locks and windows don't work in the back seat. It consistenly gives me 33MPG+ on trips at 70MPH+ has had 5000 mile oil changes and doesn't burn a drop of oil between changes. I'd buy another, but want a Jetta Sportwagen TDI for the back seat room and fuel mileage difference.

One of the best car ever made...

by Civic Now from Toronto, ON | December 9, 2010

I love my Civic! I really love it every day, 7 days a week, excellent, excellent car! had this car for 5 months till today, it has 230000 KM, and this little 1.6L engine STILL pulls STRONG! never got any problem in my family for 8 years, passed on from my father, to my brother and now, me. Extremely reliable, easy and cheap to maintain, just change oil and brake pads. Great gas mileage, 35L can run about 450KM in city and 600KM+ on highway. last but not least, this little Coupe also looks sporty!

Great first car!!!

by College Student from Louisville, KY | January 20, 2009

I bought a 96 Honda Civic LX in 2002 for my very first car. It is 2009 now and I still have it. It has 140,000 miles on it and still going strong. I drove it through high school and all of college. Great on highway and city roads and perfect gas mileage for a college student budget. I have had very few probelms with my car and could not have asked for a better reliable car. The only issues I have had was with my catalytic convertor and my o2 sensors going out, which was then fixed. I am now selling it and very sad to do so because I am afraid that another car will not be able to stand up to the standards that I now have for a good car!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by LoveSongBlue from Richmond, VA | August 13, 2008

At 130k miles, this car has never had any service beyond typical maintenance, and continues to perform perfectly. We take it on long trips and short daily commutes with no problems.

Featured Services for this Honda Civic