1996 Honda Civic

Available in 8 styles:  Civic 2dr Coupe DX shown

Overall

Great 16yr old car!!

by Working Soccer Mom from Tinley Park, IL | September 1, 2012

We bought this car used about 5yrs ago. It replaced and Accord that I totaled. This is probably the 3rd Civic I've had in my 30yrs of driving!! It's still going strong. We have had to replace/fix the typical things you'd expect on a car with 150,000 miles: radiator, exhaust system, tires, brakes, etc. It passed the emissions test last month however the check engine light comes on intermittently. The only complaint is the electric windows and door locks. We had it all rewired a few years ago and now it's starting to act up again and the A/C doesn't work. But I can't talk my husband into replacing it since it does get 35mpg and he drives 40+ miles each day round trip. Wish we could find another '96 but with only 50,000 miles on it!!

Its gets me where i have to go.

by Gas Saver from warner robins, ga | April 2, 2012

Good on gas. Couple problems here and there! I use it for work and school the most. Its full with $20 on gas, so that's one good thing.

Meh

by purple from Greenville, SC | December 29, 2011

I bought this car when I had just turned 19. It had just under 200,000 miles on it. It's a cute little car. I liked the fact that it had a manual transmission. It was fun and easy to drive. I felt safe in it, but it was a lot to keep up with. It was in and out of the shop at least once a month for the first 5 months that I had it. After I put about $2,000 worth of repairs into is (which is the same amount that i bought it for) it ran well for about 6 months and then the distributor broke and that was going to be another $700-$800 dollars that I didn't want to spend. I know that buying a car with that many miles on it is risky, but I had always heard that Hondas can run forever...I'm sure they can if you keep pouring money into them.

1996 Honda Civic LX

by NascarNut from Chatham, MA | December 31, 2010

This has been an extremely reliable car for the past 145,000 miles. The only problem has been with the main wiring harness cracking and the power door locks and windows don't work in the back seat. It consistenly gives me 33MPG+ on trips at 70MPH+ has had 5000 mile oil changes and doesn't burn a drop of oil between changes. I'd buy another, but want a Jetta Sportwagen TDI for the back seat room and fuel mileage difference.

One of the best car ever made...

by Civic Now from Toronto, ON | December 9, 2010

I love my Civic! I really love it every day, 7 days a week, excellent, excellent car! had this car for 5 months till today, it has 230000 KM, and this little 1.6L engine STILL pulls STRONG! never got any problem in my family for 8 years, passed on from my father, to my brother and now, me. Extremely reliable, easy and cheap to maintain, just change oil and brake pads. Great gas mileage, 35L can run about 450KM in city and 600KM+ on highway. last but not least, this little Coupe also looks sporty!

Great first car!!!

by College Student from Louisville, KY | January 20, 2009

I bought a 96 Honda Civic LX in 2002 for my very first car. It is 2009 now and I still have it. It has 140,000 miles on it and still going strong. I drove it through high school and all of college. Great on highway and city roads and perfect gas mileage for a college student budget. I have had very few probelms with my car and could not have asked for a better reliable car. The only issues I have had was with my catalytic convertor and my o2 sensors going out, which was then fixed. I am now selling it and very sad to do so because I am afraid that another car will not be able to stand up to the standards that I now have for a good car!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by LoveSongBlue from Richmond, VA | August 13, 2008

At 130k miles, this car has never had any service beyond typical maintenance, and continues to perform perfectly. We take it on long trips and short daily commutes with no problems.

A car you don't have to think about . . .

by Auto practicalist from Texas | February 11, 2007

We have owned a 1996 Honda Civic Coupe since 2000. It had only 15000.00 miles when we bought it. The only "problem" we had with the car was occasionally the check engine light would come on, which turned out to be a bad sensor in the exhaust system and nothing to worry about. Nevertheless, Honda replaced the catalytic converter for free at 125000.00 miles and tuned it up to boot. Otherwise the car has been mechanically flawless. Just regular maintenance has kept this car running great.

A great kick around car!

by Learned Stick on a Civic from State College, PA | December 1, 2006

I've owned my 96 Civic EX 2dr coupe for 7 years. It's been a great car. It does whatever I need it to - and its been driven all over the country. Gets great gas mileage! It will rust out and fall apart before it stops working.

Best Bang for the Buck

by Gusto from wilton, ct | August 24, 2006

Ive owend a civic HB, for 8 years. Ive Had No major mechanical issues with it what so ever. Just change the oil, do tha brakes & tune ups when needed & the car should last you 150K miles plus... Being that they are one of the most reliable cars on the road makes them a great investment for kids, young adults, & adults alike. I Highly Recommend getting one.

Featured Services for this Honda Civic