1997 Honda Civic

30.1–37.2 city / 36.2–44.1 hwy

Overall

Great value

by ABC from | September 24, 2013

This is the second car I have bought from here. I was purchasing this car for my son. I wanted a good reliable vehicle. It was a good deal with a fair price. All of the cars that this dealer has have car fax records that show that the previous owner took care of them. I will definitely buy another vehicle from him.

Absolutely reliable and fuel efficient

by Js111 from Tulsa | March 30, 2013

I owned one of these for several years. 4cyl 5 speed manual. This thing got 36-37 mpg no matter what. I prefer the manual transmission for reliability. Great car never left me stranded. I sold it with 230K on the odometer for $2700, still running strong.

most comfortable car I've Owned

by sport reborn from Pakistan, pak | March 20, 2013

I love the shock absorbers of this car it can be drive very smoothly it's design is awesome it's a great car for 1999 age the car lovers like me love it it's famous till today in Pakistan I will be happy to drive that car I actually like it's interior and exterior design

Drive it like an econobox, and it delivers like it

by Alex from Philadelphia | June 20, 2012

All I can say is that as a car enthusiast I believe every car in the marketplace has a purpose. I don't try to turn my Civic into a racecar, put loud mufflers on it and drill holes in the back bumper. It is completely factory and I love it for what it is: A reliable daily driver that's cheap to buy, own, and fill up. Performance is what it is, don't expect blistering acceleration, although my EX with a 5-speed is acceptable (even by my standards). Ride is smooth and even quiet (with the right tires). Great car, don't hesitate to own one if your expectations of it are in line with what the car was designed for.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by JD Honda from | February 7, 2012

I bought this car 8 years ago, it had 45,000 miles on it. Now, 8 years later and it has 155,000 miles. The only repairs it has needed were CV axles and the usual (timing belts, brakes). I also replaced the window regulator after the window wouldn't go up any more, which seemed to be a popular mishap of this year. All-in-all, for 100,000 miles I think I have gotten my money worth. I would/will hands down buy another civic or Honda based on this experience.

Great car

by Commute car from Lancaster, CA | January 30, 2012

Great car, great on gas, decent power, love the tuning radius, just purchased it from previous owner which neglected routine car care. My car has gear problems and had really bad cv joints and dead shocks, along with other things I have yet to find. =\ but overall very good car. Since I only payed $2,750.00

About as good a compromise as can be had

by Driving enthusiast throttled by budget from Portland, OR | May 17, 2011

Face it, Federal regulations make all cars heavier than in the past. So my 1980 Civic 1.3 got 50 MPG and this one only gets 35. And the 1.3 accelerated about as well, too. But this '97 rewards with better comfort, crisper handling, more utility and astoundingly good reliability. Purchased used from first owner at 115,000 miles. Stack of receipts showed just routine maintenance having been done. Up to 210,000 miles, that's all we had done. Standard plugs, cap/rotor, tires, timing belts, that's it. Interior still looks like new (after we vacuum it). MPG about 34 city 38 highway with the five-speed transmission. Engine is weak, but always has been - with a Honda, you usually don't get zip unless you spring for the fanboy version called an "Si", then you have to tolerate a loud exhaust screaming at you. Ride/handling is a notch tighter/louder than other compacts: that's a Honda tradition. You can fling it into corners and get a lot less body lean than in, say, a Corolla. At 210,000 miles, the bushings are loosey goosey. We're going to replace the clutch, not because it's bad, but because it just seems like at this mileage, it should be. As long as it's out, we'll replace engine mounts and driveshafts, and hope this takes up much of the driveline slack. This car supports two people. Drive to/from work, store, long vacations, everything. We have two vehicles, and whoever leaves home first gets this one because it's so nimble and easy on gas. We don't change oil very often - just the 7,500 mile intervals recommended. In those 7,500 miles, it's only using a half a quart, and the stuff comes out fairly clean. This engine's durability is amazing.

Great Car

by College Student from Dallas, TX | September 10, 2010

Its a Honda Civic EX, Vtec, Automatic. Ive been having this lil honda for about 2 months and i got no complaints, its currently got 122,500 miles and still running great. I just did the oil change and it felt even better. Pretty nice performance for a 4 cylinder, planning to get the next generation when i graduate from college.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Car Enthusiast from MIAMI, FLORIDa | November 29, 2009

One word, RELIABILITY!The vehicle is a 97ex vtec. bought it from the 1st owner in nov 07 and now after 2 yrs, still driving strong. over 190k miles(mostly highway miles) now and its looking nice as it an be. love it black exterior and its grey and black interior. just love it!

Best car I have ever owned

by lobes from Dubuque Iowa | February 16, 2009

Would not trade this car for anything. Purchase new with only 30 miles on it. Car curently has 61,000 mile. Have taken it on a 2500 mile trip to Montana fishing, through mountains and down country lanes and it ran like a charm. It got 43 mpg highway three time on road. Will take this car to my grave, in fact I may want to be buried in it so I can drive in style to the pearly gates.

Featured Services for this Honda Civic