1998 Honda Civic

Available in 8 styles:  Civic 2dr Coupe DX shown

Overall

Excellent Car

by HondaCivicOwner from Raleigh, NC | July 7, 2014

I got my '98 Honda Civic as a used vehicle in 2006. It's my first and only car so far, and it has been excellent. It gets great gas mileage and is very reliable. I've only have a few major issues with it, and almost all of them stem from the age of the car and from normal wear and tear. I have been very pleased with the car. The interior is noisy (i.e., exterior sounds are not really muffled), especially when driving on the highway, but that is so minor a problem as to not really be of import. I will be sad when I finally move on from this car since, as I stated previously, it's the only car I've ever had. My recommendation would be to go for this car, and that this is an excellent vehicle for new drivers. Just take care of it and keep up with the regular maintenance and this car will be there for you.

This Car is Legendary

by CarBuyer from 06355 | February 24, 2014

I can't say enough good things about this car! Not only did it take me back and forth across the country a couple times without complaining, it handled blazing Southern sun and New England blizzards like a boss. My little red 1998 Civic got me to work early while my co-workers newer, "fancier" cars just spun out in their driveways. I was rough on that car -I drove it hard and fast and went long periods w/o checking the fluids. Now I'm paying the price because at 224K miles, I have to retire the car due to a blown head gasket. If I had taken better care of the car I know I could have made it to 300K w/o a problem. I will miss my trusty Civic and it certainly set the bar high for my next set of wheels.

hondas go forever and hold there value 4ever

by honda luvr from milwaukee ,wi | June 2, 2013

These car run forever ....mine has 97,000 miles so thats pretty low still ..i know ppl that have 250,000 on thrs ..n alota of ppl with 180 to 215,000 ..long as change the oil wen suppose to ..since high rev motors ...do that n u2 can get many miles from thes cars ...no matter what yr . They just go n go n go

98 civic

by civic guy from lamar, mo | May 14, 2012

for as old as it is, it's terrific. especially the drivetrain. the interior has held up really well, too. the things wrong with it (hail, dings) are not its fault.

96-2000 Honda Civics..

by Ukypoo from Indianapolis, in | March 19, 2012

What can I say...totally impressed with the gas mileage, the get up and go...the the just durability of this car even though it's age...hope the newer civics r as reliable in the future as this one is now :-)

My First Car

by Happy Teen from Raymore, MO | December 1, 2011

I drive a 1998 Honda Civic DX Manual Coupe. I got the car from a close family friend with 201,234 mi on it. I was very irritated while my dad was teaching me to operate the manual transmission. But, after two weeks I finally got the hang of it. At first I didn't like that my car had roll up windows and a manual transmission. Then I realized manual windows don't have a motor that might go out and, manual transmissons are more relialble than automatics. I drive between 40-50mi a day and get around 35mpg with aggressive driving. I have owned this car for a year now and it has 216,003mi and I love it! The only thing i have had to replace on my car was the radiator and do regular oil changes on it. At around 210,000mi, I drove home for 20 mi while the temp gage was in the red with no antifreeze and it didn't steam up at all! (This was when I had to get a new radiator.) I cannot say enough good things about this car. The only downside is the backseat. My friends complain when they have to sit in the back. (little leg room) Overall, I would recommend this car to a teenager for a first car or, to a smart adult that wants to save money on gas, maintnace, and insurance!

Love my honda civic.

by DJD from Tucson, AZ | September 18, 2011

Have had many different hondas in the past but this one I have now is the best. Bought this 1998 civic lx from my girlfriend almost 3 years ago and have had to do a very little work on it. It has over 140,000 miles on it and it runs great. The only thing is that the A/C has gone out twice but I live in Arizona so thats understandable. I would like to get a newer honda but I don't want to part from this one.

First and only new car - still going!

by Fritzomatic from Milford, NH | August 30, 2011

After a string of six month used cars, I swallowed hard and bought this car (Ex coupe) in January of 1998. 13 years later, and this car has continued to convince me that it is the best Honda ever made. Aside from a few small issues (wiper motor) and the usual wear-and-tear repairs (CV boots most notably), the car is still a joy to drive as it crosses the 200k mark this month. I still love the EX for the reason I chose it over the other models - the 127hp VTEC engine just has enough grunt to make it fun in the twisties. Manual helps too.... Also, I love it for the reason I still haven't bought a replacement -- the fuel mileage - I consistently get 32mpg or greater with combined and aggressive driving. The only downside, is the one that is common with many cars... rust. For years, I was able to slow it down by applying clear coat nail polish to minor dents, chips and rust spots, but it's finally come to the point where rust is creeping up from the bottom of the doors and on various spots on the hood. This will likely be the demise of the car (not the mechanicals) in a few years, as was the case with my 85 Corolla... All said, though, the MPG, handling (last model with double-wishbone suspension), reliability and general fun to drive make this a great car - even to this day. Find one with no rust and you will be a very happy driver!

Honda

by caveman from Aurora, IL | August 2, 2011

I bought my 1998 Honda Civic LX for the reason to have a car great on fuel. The car has 167,000 on it now and it still runs and drives like it did new. The car looks like its new. People ask me all the time about the car. It has needed a few things ever car does. Im a Ford man, but Honda is now my only car

Excellent Value for the Money

by Happy Dad from | October 12, 2010

I bought this car for my son after doing a fair amount of research on the used car websites. It was in great shape with little rust for a 12 year old car. Although I needed to replace the timing belt and front brake pads, it still was an excellent bargain. When I drove it up to my son, I almost didn't want to give it up because it got 43 mpg highway even with the air on. Honda definitely has their act together when compared to the other brands I looked at before making my purchase.

Featured Services for this Honda Civic