2000 Honda Civic

Available in 11 styles:  2000 Honda Civic 2dr Coupe shown

Overall

2000_EJ6

by 2000_EJ6 from Providence, RI | December 9, 2013

Purchased a 2000 hatchback (5-speed) at 85k; three years and 25k later, I'd still rate this as one of the best purchases I have ever made. Apart from a thorough tune-up when purchased (all fluids/filters, hoses, belts, plugs/wires, dist. cap/rotor, o2 sensors, thermostat, water pump and timing belt), this car has been mostly maintenance free and never left me stranded. I regularly see 40mpg in the summer and 35mpg in the winter with 80% highway driving. Repairs and fuel easy on the wallet. My only caveat is that I'd only purchase a car like this with a 5-speed manual, as it makes far more effective use of the D16Y7's narrow power band than the automatic can, especially on the highway. It is an economy car, after all. Problem areas I have found include the rear taillight gaskets (rain water in the hatch well), manual window regulators (window gets stuck in track), front seat belt tensioners (known issue on '96-'00), a dead stock radio (replaced with an older Pioneer CD unit), and a couple rust bubbles starting in the rear fender lips (NE winter roads and salt). All in all, nothing major considering its 13 years old with more than 100k. Keep up with preventative maintenance and I see these cars lasting at least 200k without serious issues. Provided it doesn't rust away by then, I'll be driving mine until then for sure!

Best car for college daughter

by relieved mom from Inland valley | September 1, 2012

We just bought this model for our daughter, and she loves it. The four doors are convenient, and the back seat is roomier than the one in our Ford Focus wagon. The previous owner took excellent care of the car, so when the mechanic checked it over, he found everything in "great shape." The engine handles hills well, which helps in her commute, and the steering is tight, which helps in tense driving situations. Overall, a great deal, wonderful car with a lot of life left even at 120K miles!

Best car ever

by honda lover from | April 3, 2012

I loved my Honda civic. Even though it was basic transportation, it was extremely reliable, looked good, fuel efficient and maintenance efficient. In 155,500 miles, no problems. Highly recommend this car. I've bought a newer Honda but will always love my civic. (Don't tell my new car.)

Old Faithful - But keeps getting stolen

by City Driving Nut from Chicago, IL | March 22, 2012

I love Hondas. Had them for 23 years. First, an Accord, brand new (1988). Kept it for 18 years and thought it was time for a change. I bought a 2000 Civic EX and LOVED the power, the sound system, the size, and handling. Excellent car in the snow, as was the Accord.The only reason I gave it a mediocre score for comfort is that I am a tall person (5'9") and the car is quite low, making it both hard to get in and out of with packages and making it difficult to park on city streets with too-big curbs. Great gas mileage, and no major repairs, only brakes, battery, oil changes and tires. Unfortunately, this car was stolen twice in 5 years. I just can't take it anymore, so I am giving up the car I love. The car I trust. The most dependable car out there. The bad guys won, I guess.

Best car I've owned

by Jdm richie from Brooklyn ny | January 16, 2012

Ive owned pretty much all models of the 1999-2000 Honda civic from the dx all the way to the si. Which all of these cars brought much excitement and great mileage to the gas. With this car you cannot go wrong

Excellent car

by Carguy from Minneapolis | October 30, 2011

Great gas mileage and very reliable. Honda over Toyota for the best value. I've owned both, and Hondas have always been more fun to drive and less hassle to maintain. Also, the handling is actually quite good in the snow for a compact vehicle.

perfect first car

by sunshine from worcester,MA | September 28, 2011

looking for a safe reliable car with excellant gas mileage this is it! This will be our daughter's first car & we as parent's feel very confident with our purchase. Sporty enough looking for a young driver, she loves it! Did alot of research on this car, & liked what we read. Honda's also hold their value. Cant go wrong with this car for a first car.

Better than average

by First Civic from Virginia | January 6, 2011

Comfort - Lounge like seats, you don't sit striaght up which can diminish comfort on long trips. Seats are supportive and covered in a high quality cloth. The ride is harsh, bumpy and loud which can make long road trips frustrating hearing that constant hum of the road and the engine is loud, no matter how hard you are on the pedal. Performance - slow. Not much power, struggles at high speeds, be careful when passing but the trade off is 40+ highway. The transmission isn't affriad to down shift though. Exterior - quirky. But I like it. The front looks angry and the rear looks calm, the steeply raked windshield makes the side view look a little goofy but it ultimately helps with interior space and efficiency. Interior - Flows nicely, soft touch dash, the manual windows are smooth and not clunky, but the chrome door lock toggle switch stands out from the rest of the gray interior. Cup holders are in a poor place, and the single power outlet is blocked by them when you have drinks in them. Value - Good value, strong resale value, but I cannot imagine paying more than $11,000 for this car (brand new). Its too loud, too slow, and lacking too many options. Reliability - Great. 120,000 miles and it has not stranded me or not started. Had to replace the O2 sensor and the shocks go bad easily (probably too stiffly sprung) and the exhaust system needed some work within the 2nd year of ownership. Be warned though, the headlights fog up easily and the gas pedal is really stiff at first then gets soft, this makes it tricky to get smooth starts without flinging your neck back.

Most fun i've had in a long time!!!

by Racerguy180 from San Jose, CA | November 2, 2010

I wanted to get a Civic SI when they came out in '99, but the dealer wouldn't give me enough for my trade in, so unfortunately I didn't get it. Now I saw one on craigslist and went to look at it and bought it right after the test drive. I would recommend this car for anyone who wants a decently priced sports car with good ol' Honda reliability!!!

NOT an Si

by Gee from | May 15, 2010

THIS IS NOT the Si version of the Civic. If you notice the gauge cluster, it is of a normal EX Civic. Yes the engine is a B16A which is correct, but everything else does not match Si specs... this car has had an engine swap and therefore is worth much less.

Featured Services for this Honda Civic