2006 Honda Civic

Available in 8 styles:  2006 Honda Civic 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

Might Run Forever- If I Keep Replacing the Battery

by Daily Driver from Deep South | August 14, 2014

This was my wife's college car. She now has a new car and I bear the burden of driving the civic. . 2006 was the first year for this generation, and it has had numerous problems. . The A/C compressor conveniently turns off during acceleration to give the engine better power. Once you're over 30mph, it starts to cool. That's nice in the 100 degree summer when it probably takes most people at least 5 minutes to get from parked to a sustained speed over 30mph in order to cool the car. . The battery is smaller than what I use in my jet-ski. It needs to be replaced once a year, even if you top off the water. Luckily, most batteries come with a 2-year warranty. . The sun visors melt and fall apart. Instead of replacing them with a new design, you get new ones that will fall apart next summer... rinse and repeat (until they decide you've had enough free replacements) . The rear control arms are not the correct angle and eat the tires within 20K miles. After about 10K, stores will refuse to rotate them. . The paint peels off the car. It started with dark colors, but I think it covers all of them, now. . The front of the car is so low, when you accidentally pull over a parking block, it tears up the plastic under-side cover. Mine has gotten to the point where the ENTIRE bumper comes off the car when I back off the parking block. . Most of these issues affected so many cars that the manufacturer has repaired them. Granted, some were forced by class action suits. . Some of our repairs were done through HondaCare. Wifey's parents bought the 120K mile extended warranty w/ $0 deductible. HondaCare is a nightmare to deal with. Dealers are also reluctant when they find out you're planning on paying $0 because you bought the awesome warranty. They'll nickel and dime you, and I've been to several in a few states. The warranty paid for itself, but I wouldn't recommend it. . Other than the fact that the car is HOT, unattractive, uncomfortable, too slow to merge into interstate traffic, and all-around miserable to drive and be seen in, it will probably run forever. . Mine has 163K miles with oil changes, new batteries, trans fluid @ 110K mi, brakes, rear bearings, and a few misc repairs. The trans seems a little loose and I think the fuel pump is about to go. With more TLC than I'm willing to give, it would easily go another 100K miles. Hopefully, I'll get rid of it before then. . If you're still interested in this model, I'd suggest a 2008 or later. That's probably enough time for Honda to have fixed the major issues.

simplify...

by hondaz from charlotte, nc | March 27, 2014

I have owned many makes of cars and Honda is simply the best! Great mpg, handling, pep, design inside and out. My civic has over 200k and I get 38mpg! Other car companies boast this award and that... whatever, I have 3 decades of driving experience in BMW's, Mercedes, Olds, Kia, Ford, Dodge, Suburu, etc. and I always come back to Honda!

Best for College student,japs make good cars

by MinaAdeeb from | March 20, 2014

Its really cool,if you are a college or a new college student never hesitate to buy the civic,its really reliable and you can custom it to be way cool.transmission is really good,bought it new and now it has 189k and still running perfectly,good job honda.

Excellent car for the money!!

by HondaLuv3r4Life from Pittsburg, CA | February 23, 2014

I think the 2006 civic is a great car. It's not really fast but it's not supposed to be because it's an economy car. I bought mine back in early March of 2012. It's been SUPER reliable. But I do have a few complaints about the car. First of all, when I bought it, I had to replace the rear upper control arms out of pocket because the car was over the max miles to be covered by the recall on it. Then needed new because they were wearing unevenly. Just last month I had to have the clutch, starter and rear main seal replaced. Then not even 2 weeks later, had to have the transmission rebuilt. Other than those two major problems, the car is fine. Fun to drive and awsome mileage. Just passed 151k on her with no other problems and I beat up on it now and then. This car has NEVER left me stranded....not once. Buy it it's worth every dollar!

Best vehicle I've ever owned, hands down.

by Civic from DFW to Seattle from Seattle, WA | January 6, 2014

I used to flip cars about every 1-3 years, but this all changed when I got the 2006 Civic EX. I bought it new in 2005 and now in 2014 see no reason to ever get rid of the car. 95% of the maintenance done on this car has been routine - only a couple of other rogue issues like the car shuddering some and one speaker going out have caused me to take it into the shop. That's it. It's been absolutely perfect other than those two issues from the day I got it. I seriously have no complaints about this car whatsoever. Additionally, I like to brag that this car often gets about 350-400 miles to the tank if they're all highway miles. I've taken this car from Texas to Seattle and now down the Pacific Coast multiple times - the gas mileage on this thing has made those trips extremely affordable. I previously was a repeat Toyota owner (Celica, Rav4, Scion XA), but made the jump to the Civic and have loved Honda ever since. We are now expecting our first child in a few months and are looking into getting a 2006 Honda Pilot for more room, but will not be getting rid of the Civic - it's just too good of a car. I'd highly recommend to anybody. The Civic is incredibly reliable, fuel efficient and comfortable - not to mention it still looks good and has held up tremendously well some 8.5 years after purchasing it.

Very, very happy with the 2006 Honda Civic LX

by Honda_Chick9906 from Indiana | October 21, 2013

My first car was a 1999 Honda CRV. Went 223,000 still running and then I gave her to a charity. I purchased the 2006 Honda Civic LX vehicle used in December 2012. - The gas mileage is great. Though it is used, I still have the original paper work and it was advertised as 40mpg for the highway. Now that it's around 6 years old, I still get about 30-35mpg. Which to me is great and why pay for a "Hybrid" when the Civic does just as good -The look. This car is very sharp looking. Doesn't look old or "grandpa". -Interior. Very nice, slick and works great. Seats are very comfy. I have traveled 4-5 hours to family and my back never hurts. -Drive. It drives very well and smooth. In the CRV you knew when you were going around 55mph (very loud and rough). The Civic however is so quiet and very smooth ride. I really don't have any complaints about the car. Just remember, when you're buying, buy what YOU want. Don't buy this Civic if you want to redline it everyday or expect to make it a sports car. My last Honda (CRV) went 223,000 and was still running! I almost bought a 2003 Altima. Way too big and had issues. Glad I bought what I wanted.

Excellent Honda

by Honda lover from Columbus, OH | May 17, 2013

Picked up a 2066 Honda Civic with only 80,000 miles on it. Very clean and in great condition thanks for all your help cars.com

My First Civic

by Civic Fan from Mundelein, IL | May 8, 2013

When I needed a simple fuel economic car to drive to work, my first thought was simple: a small car. but what small car will give me the fan and happiness of the daily 100 miles commute? Well I didn't have to test drive tons of cars. Civic came up out right from the search to the buying; reviews, comments and reliability of Honda stood out every where. I made the move and got my first used civic and I enjoy every single mile I drive with this car. And most of all, it saves me $40 bucks a week on gas. I always get that 35 to 40 miles per gallon

Very disappointed

by homefixer from Spartanburg, SC | April 27, 2013

I bought the LX model with 49K. Soon after, I noticed that it seemed to kick slightly to the side when going over small bumps in the road. Took the car to the dealer to find out that there is a recall on the upper rear control arms- they were made too short!!!!!which caused a geometric instability in the handling. Not just mine, buy all of them. Honda covered the repair, which did fix the problem, but wow, I thought that I was buying a well made product. Next, I discover that there is a defect in the engine block, causing many to fail. Mine did not, but the engine temp was very unstable from 80K forward. The final blow came when the transmission failed at 106K. I wholesaled the car at a large loss and am thoroughly disgusted with Honda. No More!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A vehicle that will not dissappoint

by Driver from Plainfield IN | March 13, 2013

Very reliable car, will not let you down drove a Honda to work daily, never disappointed Mileage a plus.