Many newcomers have entered the compact SUV market since Honda launched its car-based CR-V as a 1997 model. The CR-V comes in three trim levels: base LX, EX and top-of-the-line EX-L. Competitors include the Toyota RAV4 and Saturn Vue.
New for 2009
There are no significant changes for the Honda CR-V for 2009.
The current CR-V is about 3 inches shorter than the previous generation and — at 177.9 inches long and 71.6 inches wide — is the smallest of its competitive set. The CR-V also lost an inch of ground clearance compared to its earlier generation, but given that it's a car-based crossover, it's doubtful the average buyer will be concerned with the CR-V's offroad prowess.
- 17-inch steel wheels (LX)
- 17-inch alloy wheels (EX, EX-L)
- Standard folding power mirrors (heated on EX-L)
- Power moonroof (EX, EX-L)
- Optional fog lights
There's room for up to five people in the CR-V. The cabin features high-grade materials and exceptional fit and finish. Passengers are invited to 103.8 cubic feet of space. There's 35.7 cubic feet of cargo room when the rear seats are in place, and folding them brings total luggage volume to 72.9 cubic feet.
- Available cloth or leather seating surfaces
- Standard air conditioning
- Standard power windows and locks, plus keyless entry
- Heated seats (EX-L)
- Optional navigation system
- Dual-zone automatic climate control (EX-L)
- Optional backup camera with navigation (EX-L)
Under the Hood
The CR-V is available with front-wheel drive or optional Real Time 4WD, which transfers more torque to the rear wheels when more traction is needed. The CR-V doesn't offer a V-6 option, but it gets some of the best fuel economy ratings in its segment.
- 166-horsepower, 2.4-liter inline-four-cylinder with 161 pounds-feet of torque
- Standard five-speed automatic transmission
- Front- or all-wheel drive
The CR-V was rated an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Top Safety Pick for 2008.
Standard safety features include:
- Side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Electronic stability system and traction control
- Antilock braking system with brake assist
- Security system (EX, EX-L)
Cars.com Expert Reviews
|Joe Wiesenfelder||Cars.com National||December 30, 2008|
|Cars.com Staff||Cars.com National||October 8, 2008|
People Who Viewed This Car Also Viewed
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the Honda CR-V
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.