Many newcomers have entered the compact SUV market since Honda launched its car-based CR-V as a 1997 model. The CR-V comes in three trim levels: base LX, EX and top-of-the-line EX-L (leather). Competitors include the Toyota RAV4 and Chevrolet Equinox.
New for 2010
For 2010, the CR-V has 14 more horsepower and fuel economy ratings that are higher by 1 mpg in city and highway driving, Honda says. It also gets a slight facelift and a smattering of new features. All models have new seat fabrics and trim panels, and the front center armrest is wider by an inch.
Styling changes include a new split grille, front bumper and resculpted hood as well as a new rear bumper shape. The upper grille has a single horizontal bar instead of two, and the lower portion has a honeycomb design instead of three cross bars.
- 17-inch steel wheels
- Standard folding power mirrors, optional heated mirrors
- Optional power moonroof
- Optional fog lights
- Optional 17-inch, 10-spoke alloy wheels
Among the changes for 2010, there's an optional center console instead of a retractable tray on the EX-L with navigation, and the multi-information display is now blue instead of black. All models also get new seat fabric and trim panels. There's room for up to five people in the CR-V.
- Available cloth or leather seating surfaces
- Standard air conditioning
- Standard power windows and locks, plus keyless entry
- Optional heated seats
- Optional navigation system
- Optional dual-zone automatic climate control
- Optional backup camera with navigation
Under the Hood
The CR-V is available with front-wheel drive or optional Real Time 4WD, which transfers more torque to the rear wheels when more traction is needed. Honda said mileage improves by 1 mpg for both front- and all-wheel-drive models. Those ratings are now 21/28 mpg city/highway and 21/27 mpg, respectively.
- 180-horsepower, 2.4-liter inline-four-cylinder with 161 pounds-feet of torque
- Standard five-speed automatic transmission
- Front- or all-wheel drive
Safety features include:
- Side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Electronic stability system and traction control
- Antilock braking system
- Optional security system