2012 Honda CR-V

See Photos & Videos

Overall

1st time CRV owner

by Pathman from Vermont | March 16, 2014

I have been driving Hondas since 1992 (92 Accord, 96 Civic, 02 Odyssey and 09 Fit Sport) My 2012 CRV LX is my first dive into the CRV pool. And a pleasant swim it has been! I have 28k miles on it and have had zero problems. It has been a great snow car (full disclosure, I live in Vermont so I do run 4 snow tires each winter) never any question of getting where I want to go even in 6 inches of Vermont slushnsnow!!!!! I will add that running snowtires is a mileage killer. In the summer on all seasons I average 26 to 27 MPG. In the winter I have a hard time breaking 24 in all around driving. The car is very comfortable for long trips. I make a 750 mile trip to Prince Edward Island in Canada 2 or 3 times a year to visit my son and I have no problem doing a 14 hour stint behind the wheel to make it in one day. My old Fit as much as I loved it for "normal" driving was a life sucker for these 14 hour PEI runs! My CRV very happily runs along at 75 to 80 mph all day long on I-95 and Trans Can hiway. It is not a tire chirper from stoplights, but for a four banger it does ok, and I find the power adequate for my driving. Likewise the interior is functional and well thought out if not very flashy. A lot of plastic, but it is nice plastic at least! The sound system will not cause you to bleed from any orfices and is the one area that I find pretty weak in the vehicle. Body architecture appeals to me, I like the lines it has but admittedly styling is soooo subjective, I have heard others say it looks like a fancy sneaker!!!! Bottom line is it is a car that meets or exceeds most of my expectations. I will be keeping it a long time and most likely will get another one when the time comes........

After 2 years of ownership or 24000 miles...

by Oklahoman from Madill, OK | January 28, 2014

I want to comment on my CRV EXL before I trade it in tomorrow for a BMW X1, which is somewhat smaller but more fun. 1. The CRV certainly is comfortable. Long distances on the nice front seats were a joy. Suspension is great. 2. it was always very reliable. No issues whatsoever. 3. it also was remarkably fuel efficient. At normal temperatures (70 deg F) I was able to achieve almost 40 mpg (!) on freeways (65 mph) and major roads in the Dallas area. On average I probably got 27-28 mpg over the 2 years. 4. Exterior styling around the front and seen from the side is quite nice, whereas the back is boring and looks like an old lady. 5. Interior styling is ok, but many materials are cheap hard plastic even in the EXL model. 6. Performance is absolutely sufficient but not more than that. It's not a drivers' car. However, I still don't see why people would want a 6 cylinder engine in this car; racing is not in its genes. I could imagine a nice 4 cylinder 2.0T engine in the next generation CRV, which would further bump up fuel efficiency. 7. Value for the money is great if compared to CRV prices elsewhere (e.g. Europe). In the US market the value is still ok, although I think a Honda Accord Sport, some vehicles of other manufacturers or my new pick offer even more for the buck. Resale value of the CRV is a pleasure, especially knowing how little I had to pay for the EXL model at the beginning of 2012 just after Honda had experienced a few less successful years. In summa, I think the CRV is a great pick for families and people who need to haul stuff but don't need a thrill ride. Well done Honda! I'm looking forward to something new and more exciting now.

avoid the snow

by zburger from Sterling Heights, MI | January 18, 2014

Have a AWD CRV, purchased new. This thing is terrible in snowy conditions. Slides like a RWD Mustang. I-Pod Nano faults out, have a persistent creak in the windshield area, will not purchase another one

Better looking - Less EXtra - More expensive

by Don0xff from Mass | January 2, 2014

Got wife 2012 CR-V. Figured it's good value: functionality, reliability at reasonable cost. Have had two Honda Accord EXs and pleased with what you get for the money. Bought the EX-L since she wanted leather with heated seats. It's a decent vehicle, but, come-on, this could be a LX-L or DX-L, whatever their base model is. The audio system is a joke. What I'd expect in a base Nissan Sentra or something. What is with the headlights? It's as if something is blocking part of them, and it gets more noticeable with the high-beams on. The information screen is also a joke - did you go out of your way to limit it's functionality? You can't upgrade this to a 6 speed tranny? The shifting gets aggravating at times and you want to punch the gas pedal to get it to move. The interior is very basic. I'm very disappointed in this model Honda EX. Take away the -L for heated leather seats and I don't know what is so extra about it. Having said all that... it does have good room inside for its size, although why not make it a little bigger? My Accord is longer than the CRV. It seems Honda is taking its CRv customers for granted. I'd take a closer look at their competition, e.g. new RAV4 since they changed the spare tire stuck to the back door. Becoming less of a Honda fan...

Awd CRV LX Love

by Obie327 from Chicago , Il | November 2, 2013

I got this car/truck August 2012, With over 10,000 miles on it now and still running great. Performance of engine is better than when it was new. I've got the stock LX version with a couple of dealer add on"s. Got the sound deadening package, rear rubber floor protector and fender flaps and guards. Tinted all the windows which helps with the ac in summer . I went on a road trip from Chicago to South Carolina back in January of 2013 in the worst possible storm in the mountains. (They Gave it a name!?) The Vehicle makes me feel safe even in a snow storm. Gas mileage is pretty good for what you get here. Ride is comfy and secure. No rattles just a smartly packaged all around hauler of a CUV.

I WALKED AWAY FROM A HEAD ON COLLISION

by HONDA MY FIRST from BIG ISLAND HAWAII | August 27, 2013

TODAY IS 8/27/13 AND 3 DAYS AGO I WAS DRIVING MY 2011 CRV WHEN I WAS HIT HEAD ON BY AN ON-COMING VEHICLE THAT I BELIEVE DRIFTED INTO MY TURN LANE. ONE ESTIMATE WAS THAT HE MAY HAVE BEEN GOING 50 MPH. I WAS STOPPED. I WALKED AWAY FROM THE CRASH SCENE WITH ONLY BRUISING FROM THE AIR-BAG. I BELIEVE MY VEHICLE WILL BE TOTALED. I WILL BE SHOPPING FOR A REPLACEMENT CRV WHEN THE INSURANCE CHECK COMES IN.

Great Value, Good Car

by geewiz from Chicago Suburbs | August 5, 2013

The CRV has lots of room for hauling stuff with the seats down. Its a pleasure to drive, great on gas. My wife drives it to work and most of the time. Honda did a good job the ride is very comfortable, the AWD is very nice on wet roads no spinning the wheels. We got the load up model and the wife loves it.

Love this vehicle

by Car Guy from Hampton, Va | July 22, 2013

We bought our 2012 CRV EX new. The price was great and the vehicle comes equipped with all the good options. The thing I love about this vehicle is the safety of it. My wife was just involved in a head on collison at 60mph and the safety equipment performed terrific. She has a few bruises from the seat belt and air bag but is fine otherwise. Our CRV is probably totalled but I plan on buying another one. Can't sayu enough good things about this car.

Decent but boring

by Two CRV owner from Prescott Valley, AZ | July 12, 2013

This is the 2nd CRV for me. My other was a 2001. Anyway I like exterior design of the 2012 but that's really the only high point. This vehicle has the typical Honda sticky brakes, overly sensitive steering, and stiff ride. Engine performance is average, headlights don't have a very good range, and leather seats make my back sweaty. The ride height is great, plenty of cargo room and passenger comfort. Haven't tried the AWD yet but wish one could lock it into place manually. When backing up I can hear a clicking noise but dealer said this is the rear brake calibers and nothing can be done about it. Overall the CRV is nothing special to drive or brag about.

Love the looks and reliability

by Samdanmom from Bradley Beach NJ | June 25, 2013

It was time to trade my 10 year old Accord for another Honda. I love the redesign and the SUV drives like a car. The gas mileage has been excellent and in general I am very happy with my purchase. 2 small gripes...the horn sounds like it belongs on a car half the size of this one. Also, the front passenger seat has no arm rests...which everyone has complained about so far who has sat there. This is on the LX trim version, so I think next time I would probably step up to EX to get an extra armrest (!!) and also a sunroof. But overall, an excellent car.