1997 Honda Del Sol

25.9–32.8 city / 30.1–39.2 hwy

Overall

Another Mid-Life-Crisis purchase, lol

by rmrc from Virginia | May 22, 2013

I guess you could call my DelSol another Mid-Life-Crisis purchase as compared to a previous review. For quite a few years, I’ve been toying about buying some type of small manual-shift sports car. The last stick-shift car I had was back in the late 60’s. I’ve looked at Miatas, MG’s, Triumphs, ect. and none of them really made an impression. I just happened to stumble upon a DelSol a few months ago and was immediately impressed with the removable targa roof and powered rear window. A perfect convertible that wasn’t a rag top. Extremely easy to remove and store the roof-top in a "huge" trunk with it’s own storage rack for a car of such a small size. Add to this the excellent reputation Honda has with it’s Civic platform and the affordable price they can be purchased for basically convinced me that a DelSol was in my future. I was lucky enough to find a nice low mileage, one owner 97 SI out in Utah which I had shipped back to the East Coast. Needless to say I’m extremely happy with the car and currently doing a series of upgrades to her. She’s a real keeper!

I bought mine new in 1996....

by JK from Birmingham, AL | February 2, 2012

I bought my first car in 1996. It was Honda Del Sol S. The V-Tec and Si were tempting but I was on a budget so I settled on the S model. I have never regretted it! I had to give up a few of the luxuries that the pricier models had, such as power locks and cruise control, it still had AC (which still works after 16 years!). You don't need cruise control with this car anyway, its too fun to drive! I have over 237k miles on this car and besides basic maintanance, I have only had to replace the O2 senser, which I did myself, and the starter needed a little work but I didn't actually have to buy a new one. All in all, a VERY dependable car, and like another reviewer said, it has NEVER left me stranded and still starts on the first crank every time. Very comfortable, safe, dependable, with all the fun of a convertable while still having a hard top, I consider buying this car (and keeping it) to be one of my best decisions. Hopefully you get the chance to enjoy one! P.S. 237k miles and still on the original clutch!

A Rare Find...

by TBob from Dallas, TX | January 16, 2012

I have now owned two of these cars (97 DOHC VTEC and a 97 SI) with very few complaints about either. I originally found this car because I was searching for a small, affordable, dependable, fun-to-drive second car for a long daily commute. At 6'3" tall, I quickly found out that my options were VERY limited. In fact, this was the ONLY model of car that fit that bill. Four years and tens of thousands of miles later, I can say that I have been completely satisfied with these cars, with a few exceptions. On the plus side, the list is long: Gas mileage is great (VTEC gets 28-30 on the highway, SI gets 32-34), comfort is fantastic for a tall guy, sportiness is unbelieveable(moreso for the VTEC with it's bigger engine and stiffer suspension), dependability is as good as it gets, maintenance costs are LOW and styling is remarkably good for an older car of this class. And best of all, you get a hardtop and a convertible, all in one (with an amazingly engineered roof-storage system in the trunk that hardly impacts the already generous space available in the LARGE trunk). On the negative side, the list is short. Like some of the older Del Sols, the roof on the Si leaks slightly, which was solved by installing custom seatcovers (made of the neoprene type material). Typical of Hondas, these are loud on the highway (not unbearable, but VTEC is louder and less fuel efficient due to its lower gearing and larger engine). Other than that, the only problem is finding a good one, as these are becoming more and more rare. Overall, I would recommend the Si over the VTEC, if I had to choose one. The gas mileage is better and maintenance is cheaper (when it's rarely needed) due to the abundance of parts available since so many more S's and Si's were produced than the somewhat rare VTECS). Also, 1997 is the best model year, as many of the upgrades/improvements of the VTEC were added to the Si in this last year of production. Overall, these cars (both the Si and the DOHC VTEC) are rare gems of a vehicle for so many reasons. It's just too bad they stoppe making them. If it meets your needs, start your search now-the hardest part about getting this car will be letting go of it someday. It offers so much in a car for so little ($).

Best Cars I have ever owned

by Del Soul from toms river, nj | January 3, 2011

I have owned two 97 Del Sols... I have had an SI which I sold on craigslist with 236K miles, and now I have a VTEC which I bought in 2008 with 85K, and it now has 135K miles... The VTEC is a more fun (it have s stick and more Horse power). But the SI gets better gas milage. I believe, from my experiance, that the SI requires less maintenance. But the fun factor of the VTEC can't be under estimated... I can spin the wheels in three gears... When it snow I have to start out in second gear so I don't spin my tires. The Del Sol has a huge trunk which is great. The floor mats, visors and lack of cup holders are the only negatives. The VTEC has anti lock braked in 97, and it has a bigger brakes than the SI. I have broken 4 antennas, which are expensive to replace. All hondas are good cars, what makes the Del Sol special in the hard top convertible and its affordability...

My mid-life crisis

by sas_man from Indianapolis, IN | July 13, 2010

Actually, this car is my mistress. I found her a litle over a year ago and have enjoyed the 'affair'. My wife and I like to go for drives on the weekends with the weather isn't too hot. I'm 6'6" and easily fit in the car. In many ways I feel like I'm putting on an article of clothing when I get in to the car. Dead solid reliability with quick and responsive handling. The power is a bit anemic, but who wants to race when just driving is this fun. The interior design is very simple with nothing luxurious or extraneous. Be sure to get one with air conditioning or you'll roast like a turkey on days above 85 and sunny.

Best hardtop convertible for the $$

by Honda Lover from Mountain View, CA | March 20, 2010

I've owned two Honda del sols ('93 and '97), and loved both. They've had regular maintenance and never left me stranded. I love the versatility of having a hard top, yet having a convertible. And since the convertible top stores on a rack in the trunk, you are ready in case of sudden rains. Small, low to the ground, and cute, it's built for smaller people. Since it's basically a Honda Civic underneath the 2-seater compartment, it's affordable. One more thing: my first del sol was hit by a pickup truck while I was stopped in 4 lanes of freeway traffic. Though the car was totalled, with both the front and rear ends crushed, I was protected by the passenger compartment which was completely intact; only the rear window smashed. (Photos available ;) Thanks, Honda!

The most practical convertible out there!

by del Sol Fan from Portland, OR | April 21, 2008

I unfortunately lost my 1997 del Sol to an uninsured driver that hit me and totaled it out last year. But I'm still in withdrawals and looking for a new one to purchase. I had this car for three years before the accident and LOVED it. The safety of hardtop and built in roll bar make it much more practical than Miatas or other similarly sized convertibels, but it still gives the open air fun. Handled fantastic, a little anemic on the power side, but good with the low weight of the vehicle. I'll buy another in a flash when I find one in good condition!

Unbelievable!!!

by Sol Man from East Coast | April 3, 2008

Unfortunately, it seems the other reviewer is talking about a specific car and not the Del Sol in general. While early Sol's (93-95) had problems with roof and trunk leaks, the 96 & 97 Sol's fixed those problems and are fantastic little vehicles. High 30's to low 40's gas mileage on the highway. Comfortable enough for 10 hours behind the wheel. Sporty and light enough to have fun, but huge trunk, great gas mileage, and a rock solid reliable engine make it practical, too. Too bad the 93-95 models got such a bad rap or else Honda might still be making these fantastic cars.

Not A Good price for the car

by Guardianofxbc from Brookfield | March 15, 2008

This car is an awsome car and rare to find but when i went to test drive it, it did have a leaky trunk.it was cold and the water froze inside it a bit. (BE AWARE!) Dont be fooled trunks are not supose to leak. pasenger side window fogs up over night all the time (may be because bad seal! ALSO The seal for the trunk could be the fix which runs 100$ but if thats not the fix, it will be alot to reline the trunk. nice car but way to over priced. Also not a clean inside! Drives alright but has an extreamly loud muffler(Might need new muffler soon) THanks

Featured Services for this Honda Del Sol