2003 Honda Element

Available in 6 styles:  2003 Honda Element 4x4 shown

Overall

Happy customer

by Breakheart Reservation from Boston, MA | March 13, 2016

I purchased the vehicle new in mid year 2004. The dealer was willing to discount because the it had a five speed manual transmission which was somewhat rare and a left over. It was the model I was looking for. I had driven the automatic and the manual had noticeably better acceleration. Wrangler tires lasted 35K miles and were not very good, but that is probable to be expected as stock tires usually aren't great.. I don't dive the average number miles per year and the car has 60K currently. I learned that Honda brakes need to be cleaned of brake dust and slider pins lubed every other year. I had a left rear brake drag and the pads and rotors needed to be replaced. I had an O2 sensor fail and an inexpensive suspension link replaced. I am on my third battery. At 55,000 miles I needed to have a small hole in the exhaust pipe welded. The windshield and the drivers air bag were replaced under a recall. That's it. I have had no electrical, engine, clutch or transmission problems. I performed my own maintenance at or before schedule and the location of maintenance items is OK. Interior materials have held up well, I Have had no issues with seats or controls. Door and hardware have held up well. The vehicle has not been driven hard and for less than average miles. The vehicle has been very functional and it is not been used as family transporter. I have been able to use it to transport bikes, lumber, water heater etc. Fuel mileage has been what I expect at around 22/'26. I am 6'3" tall and average build. The ergonomic are exceptional for me. In short this has been a very good and reliable vehicle which has served my purpose. I would buy another but unfortunately the model has been discontinued. I believe it would be a good value as a used car if it has been cared for and maintained.

Love my toaster!

by Family man Graphics guy, Honda Enthusiast from Dirty Lew, Maine | October 3, 2015

This is my 2nd Element. My first was a FWD. I currently own another 2003, this time AWD. I am anxious to see how this one handles the Maine winters! The Element is by far the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned, most of the time being a family, daily driver. But when I need to haul stuff, just flip up the seats, and its a small pickup. Cleaning the interior is a breeze, and there is storage upon storage, inside of storage, next to storage, with a little storage on top... You get the idea. The controls are all well laid out and easy to use, and the engine and transmission.... well, its a Honda, you all know thats fine. My element currently has almost 175k on it, and runs and drives like a champ, I am expecting to be able to put another 100k+ on this vehicle. As with everything there are some cons... 1.)THE FUEL ECONOMY (or lack thereof) MY GOD! I am lucky to get 250 miles on a tank (mostly city) I attribute this to the fact that it is automatic, AWD high mileage, and has the aerodynamics of a 3 story apartment building. It is comparable to my old ridgeline (3.5 V6) 2.) Some of the controls are not illuminated at night, makes setting cruise at night almost impossible. 3.) Sunroof in the BACK!?!?!? WHY!?!?!? And to add insult to injury: MANUAL CONTROL?!?!?!?!? REALLY HONDA?!?!?!? 4.) "Pop Out" rear door windows... to make rear passengers angry. These are little gripes, overall I am very happy with my toaster and would definitely buy another!

I bought my 2003 Element LX new,

by garfy from Pensylvania | March 1, 2015

It has been so wonderful it is upsetting to think Honda discarded it. I have put only updated parts in it and it runs like new. Great for hauling and taking trips and ease of unloading...I would never think about another vehicle so it is going to be tough..when it finally dies, which I plan to keep it until then...Dealer tells me the used ones are in demand and I have a 5 speed. fun to drive...

Last car

by Poky from Denver, Colorado | November 14, 2013

I saw an add for the Element on line when it first came out and took an instant liking to it. Upon seeing the add my wife also liked it. I knew that any "new" car we bought at that time would be our last ever and would have to get us through retirement to death. This car has been great with it's four wheel drive, room and dependability. We live in Colorado and get snow every once in a while and when we have needed the four wheel drive it just kicks in with out having to think about it. For trips the car is easy to pack the way the doors and back end open. The rear seats fold up or come out depending on the room needed. This is no sports car that's speeds to 60mph in 4 seconds so if that is what your looking for forget it. It is a roomy dependable car that will last me through retirement without having to be concerned about expensive repairs.

I love my Honda Element

by Element Lover from Grand Rapids, MI | October 21, 2013

I love the Element for its unique appearance and Honda reliability. I purchased it gently used and I plan to use it for its lifetime.

awesome car

by ana from ny | May 12, 2013

I got this car for my dogs and it is just pefect. Love, love, love it. I cant wait to drive it in the snow.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

She's a Sweetheart

by ELL'EOWNER from Atlanta, Georgia | September 22, 2012

This car is perfect. I have never owned a vehicle that I have been more satisfied with. I got her for the right price and even got the color I wanted. This vehicle is one of those "hard to find" models and this one is exceptional.

Great roomy car!!!

by Mitch $$ from Gap pa | July 17, 2012

I had a 2003 manual with a little over 116000 miles now I have it up to130000 mikes n no problems, it is reliable even under a teenagers driving conditions, handles amazingly in bad weather n it is roomy I put the back seats all the way up n can fit more stuff in it thad my dads Denali, I can also lay back the Seat n look at the stars wich is a bonus. It's not a car for a racer but a car for the idealist. So overal it's great for packing up to go to the cabin all the way to car pooling, ppl actually don't mind to sit in the back! Over all an awesome first car!

Classic Plastic

by Incurable Curmudgeon from Sonoma wine country CA | June 25, 2012

Always wanted an Element. Like its sophisticated simplicity. Car was high priced, low milage (63,000) from a dealer who had it professionally detailed and new Korean tires. Runs well. 4WD means lousey gas milage, but way better than the '95 Dodge truck I'm driving with 267,000 miles on it - also still running well....but.... Element owners don't wave at each other, but we all wear a smile.

absolutely bulletproof in reliability

by fly4val from Huntington Beach, CA | November 29, 2011

bought new July 2003 in Colorado, EX model w/AWD. Its reliability and drivig continues to amaze me even now with 125k miles. Smartest thing(s) I did were to dump OEM tires and replace with Yokohama Geolanders. Tires wore like iron and have endured numerous trips through axle deep snow areas and ice and allowing excellent bite with long tread life. The car has not missed a beat, the only warranty was the driver's side outer door lock and a recall on some little interlock bar on the ignition. With the excellent tire grip and car's handling, she has never let me down or left me stranded even in some extreme conditions in WA, UT and Colorado. Kudos to Honda and Yokohama!

Featured Services for this Honda Element