2004 Honda Element

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Love on 4 Wheels

by EPC from KC from Grandview, MO | February 25, 2014

This 2004 EX 4-wheel drive automatic is just so reliable and the interior is so easy to adjust and clean. Our neighborhood is the last to get snowplowed, but the snow had no effect on my Element. The weight is distributed quite well on and off the road and the speakers are great with plenty of storage compartments. The turn radius is good and gas mileage is good even though it's 4WD. The suicide doors are cool, but can be tricky on a hill. I love this car and wish that Honda would bring it back. Treat this one with love and it will be as dependable as night and day.

Loved It So Much I Bought It Again!

by 2nd One from PA | September 3, 2013

Got rid of my first generation 2003 Element in 2009 with 159K it and instantly regretted it. Nothing since has compared to it's versatility and durability. Smaller cars were all just that...too small... and larger SUVs didn't have the cargo capacity (or cool factor) of the "box on wheels." The AWD got me through anything (reasonable) that nature could dish out and the utilitarian design made it unbeatable for camping, hauling MTBing, etc... I finally broke down and purchased another one in 2012 and have never looked back. Durability on both has been unsurpassed with only minor out of pocket expenses (regular maintenance and upkeep). The only possible downsides are the four passenger seating (but at least everyone has plenty of room) and an ever so slightly underpowered engine (when towing). Other than that you can't go wrong!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

good ugly car

by X from wisconsin | July 24, 2012

I now have 210,000 miles on my 04 Element. I have the oil changed every 10,000 miles. So far I have replaced the tires several times, battery once, front and rear stabilizer bushings once, wiper blades twice, and finally it has failed me and I had to get a new starter. Most trouble free car I have ever owned and it not only gets used, but abused. I carry alot of heavy loads and drive through the woods regularly on snowy, muddy, rutted, and rough roads. I guess all in all, it's been a pretty good vehicle.

The Do Everything Vehicle (updated)

by Tri Guy from Des Moines, IA | June 17, 2012

Well, my 2004 Honda Element EX (manual, and all-wheel drive) now had 143000 miles on it and counting. I have to say, I have owned or co-owned 20 vehicles in 25 years and the Element has quickly made its way to the top 3 overall. I love this vehicle! First of all the sobering news - how much has it cost me. Well, it is an SUV with 143K, so you're going to have to replace some wear items at some point. I was proactive in my ownership. Not knowing what the original owner had done for service, I did the full 120K service at about 110K (tax refund available). All the fluids were flushed, filters changed, engine tune, etc. That cost me about $750 at my local shop. Smart move. I then drove 32K with no worries (did replace the tires - $550. At about 140K I started to notice a shimmy under hard acceleration. That turned out to be the CV joints (again, wear item). I had that done along with a new battery (mine was 5 years old) and that cost me another $550. What do I have to show for my $1850 invested? A 143K vehicle that acts as it did when it was driven off the lot new. Seriously, if you commit to this vehicle and take care of it, it will take care of you. I knew I wanted to drive this to 200K and will easily do that at some point in the next 5 years. :) Now for the good stuff. What makes the Element so awesome? 1. Interior room - it's laughable how big this little toaster feels. Nap in the car? No problem. Kids in the car? No problem. 4 people in the car? Crazy room and comfort. There have been plenty of times I wished I was the one riding in the back seat. Recline, stretch the legs out and WOW, your friend just fell asleep back there. 2. 5-speed - I realize this might be unique to me, but I love the feel of the manual. It shifts smoothly, gives you decent power on accelerations and up hills, and passing situations. Not for everyone, but it gives a feel of added performance over the automatic (I have driven an Auto). 3. All-wheel drive. This system is flawless. A blind monkey could navigate this thing through the snow. ABS, 5-star crash rating, AWD - enough. 4. Stock stereo - no need to upgrade here. Plug in the i-pod and let the ridiculous stereo do it's magic. Plug in a laptop and movie for the kids and run it through the stereo - theatre style surround sound. There have been times I have been distracted by the movie - is someone shooting at me?? 5. Stagnant Element - what kind of a car is usable when it's not moving? The Element is. I bought the bench rest for the lift gate and have spent countless hours sitting on it watching the kids play, reading a book, waiting for a friend, having a beer with a friend, open all the doors (let the kids use it as a fortress), etc. Of course the #4 stereo is playing my music during this time. 6. Interior space - need to get something from point A to point B? Put the seats up (or take them out) and you have mini-van cargo capacity. I'll stop at 6 for fear that some readers might think I have an unhealthy relationship with my Element. Bottom-line: BMW 535i, AUDI A4 & A6, 2 Jeep Gr. Cherokees, Land Rover Discovery, Isuzu Amigo, Honda CRV, Prelude, 3 Civics, Odyssey, Accord, etc., are all cars I have owned, but this is the one I find myself turning to time and again for happiness. It just does too much right to be wrong. I realize some of these cars don't compare with an Element in terms of car class. My point is, I am not immune to what a good car is supposed to be. However, I find myself most content with a car that was 6 years-old when I bought it, cost under $10K used, had 100K in mileage, and somehow has become my pride and joy. If you're considering an Element, I still believe an AWD model is difficult to beat. Keep in mind it has room for only 4, and that there are some tight parking spots where the doors open too wide. It won't sip gas like a hybrid (I managed 22 mpg for the 45K driven), be quiet like a Lexus, fast like an Audi, etc. Yet, it is fun to drive, doesn't get bad mileage, is inexpensive to maintain, excellent in bad weather, and will give you a dizzying array of options for interior flexibility. Again, just buy it already!

awesome car

by coro from Chicago | November 15, 2011

Its my first AWD car and i like it alot: a lot of space, simple interior design (as a car should be) very practical and o the top of this is a Honda, it will run forever.

Excellent Outdoor Vehicle

by EL-MT from Montana | August 22, 2011

I've owned this vehicle for four years now and am not disappointed. Highs:Reliability, build-quality, fun to drive, utility, tailgate, suicide doors for access to back, 5-speed transmission, can sleep in vehicle, great in snow, decent fuel economy, easy to keep clean inside and out, seats fold up for easy for large cargo area. Lows: Windshield cracking issues, suicide doors a pain in perpendicular parking spots, carries only four.

total shock

by recent element owner from Nashville TN | July 18, 2011

I have ONLY two complaints - the fuel tank capacity and the rear doors - as much as I like this vehicle, the rear doors do cause some trouble getting groceries loaded The rest of the vehicle is way too handy. I also like driving the vehicle. It's not a Lexus SUV ride (or other SUV) but it's firm, well mannered, and the steering is VERY crisp. I wish I'd have known about these vehicles before now. I'd have more. HONDA says they are discontinuing this vehicle. 2011 model year will be the last. (Not selling enough of them) I use this vehicle as a service vehicle. It, almost immediately, became my favorite vehicle. No one gets to drive it except for the other owner of our business. (that would be on the rarest of occasions! :) )

I am unique on the road.

by NIMBUS2K from twin falls, idaho | March 16, 2011

Best car ever! Fill it up, hose it out! Hauls soccer players with muddy cleats, big dogs with fur and drool and groceries with equal ease. Easy to turn, pretty darned good gas mileage and handles well on snowy roads.

The Do Everything Vehicle

by Tri Guy from Des Moines, IA | January 15, 2011

I purchased my 2004 Honda Element EX (with the manual transmission) used in the spring of 2009. It had 100K on it at the time, but it was time to replace the Land Rover Discovery (after 129K) and I wanted a Honda that would go another 100K easily. The Element seemed like a natural fit. I had owned six Hondas previously, ranging from a 1990 Prelude to a 2004 Odyssey. They are superior vehicles if you like efficiency and you want something for the long haul. My Element has been the perfect fit for me. Although it's not my family's primary vehicle (the wife's 2005 Nissan Pathfinder), I treat it like it is. If it was up to me she would have bought one to sit next to mine in the garage. I am an active person who enjoys triathlons and the Element is perfect for those weekend excursions. However, what I was most pleased with was how it is even more perfect as a family of four (no 5 person seating) vehicle. My two boys have all the room in the world back there and we can run any sort of electrical device through any of the various outlets. There is all the room we need for groceries, luggage, strollers, etc. I could go on and on. I am happy with the Element and happy I found and EX with all-wheel drive and the manual. If you're interested in an Element, it's difficult for me to find much fault in the vehicle. It's safe, has good ride height, laughs at snow, is great in the summer time with the skylight out and the windows down. Shoot, my oldest son and I can even camp in it since the seats fold flat to make two beds. Just buy it already.

Nice alternative SUV

by Dad looking for value from Kansas City MO | November 29, 2010

Needed a smaller AWD-SUV, since selling an 06 Prius. (Kids and their friends were getting too big for the Prius) I drove both LX and EX models, found and bought an 04 Element EX-Auto-AWD used with 30k miles and love it. Great cabin space-better rear legroom than a Suburban. Easy to see out of. EX radio is a great upgrade over LX and Honda resale is solid. The small minus items would be; Larger fuel tank would be nice (225 miles on a full tank-Midwest miles go by fast) Buy carpeted floormats/truck mat, since items slide all over rubber flooring and the Element only seats 4. Never thought I would drive this 'Toaster', in my midlife, but it's fun to drive.

Featured Services for this Honda Element