2008 Honda Element

See Photos & Videos

Overall

excellent except

by keith stone from Massachusetts | January 28, 2014

most of what everyone says here is true. I have a 2008 lx. its excellent alone for its functionality. Another thumbs up I have to mention is its amazing ability to stay on the road in snow.. when it has good tires, the traction control system is amazing.. its reaction time is nothing like I have seen on any other car. the 2 problems I have are safety. 1:the front pillars create a dangerous bind spot in the front corners.. it took me a year before I noticed this.. mostly in slow speeds, navigating a parking lot.. someone can be walking at just the right pace and they fit inside this blind spot.. I have almost run a couple of people over already. 2: and by far the most annoying.. apparently a design flaw.. the rear brakes prematurely wear.. I have done 3 rear brake jobs and only once in the front.. that s WRONG.. I have also to replace a rear caliper and ironically i road tested a 2007 before I bought the 08 and that one had the right rear side brakes wiped out. it only had 11k miles on it.. I made honda pay me the 1st time and they really didn t put up a fight.. i expect they know about the problem.. I have heard from other people that they have not seen this problem but these experiences were from owners in a part of the country that did not get snow or cold weather.. regardless it shouldn t happen.. based on my experience it seems to me that the calipers are hanging up and keeping the pads against the rotor.

a great rugged vehicle

by luv my element from Suffolk County, New York | November 24, 2013

If you don't like simplicity then this is not a car for you. This is perfect for someone who likes the outdoors and who likes to be unique. It quirky but perfect for me and ready for my next adventure. It is very reliable, spacious and great on gas.Too bad Honda discontinued making this vehicle in 2011. My 2008 EX is equipped with 4wd, air conditioning, xm stereo, water resistant seats and interior can be hosed down if necessary and still looks brand new. Very happy with my purchase.

Best camping vehicle for 2/3 people.

by Camping vehicle #1 from Seattle | September 2, 2013

LOVE this vehicle. It's a bit gutless and I would like if it was a bit longer, but it really meets our recreation needs. I really wish they would bring the car back with some redesign features. The car spend most of the time with at least one of the seat folded up. I love that I can swab it out.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Incredible little truck!

by Honda Joe from Greencastle, PA | May 15, 2013

I dont know why Honda stopped making these! IT makes so much sense. Practical, easy to clean, great on gas! I cna throw hay in the back and hos eit out when I get home. Plywood...you nake it fits nicely. Yet a comfortable ride, great seats and quiet.

great utilitarian car and fun!

by sexy ugly from chapel hill, nc | February 27, 2012

Very comfortable, peppy, and nimble to drive. Loads of fun, and really practical. Can throw two bikes in the back. Easy for camping, and the four wheel drive is a big plus. Wish the gas mileage were slightly better, but I am used to driving sedan.

Reliable, Roomy however could do better in MPG's

by Robert from Olney Maryland | January 3, 2012

Love it.....recommend it....Honda is not making the Element anymore....last model is 2011. Therefore, buy one, keep miles low, and it will be a classic in the future.

Fun to drive with lots of room

by FG from Morgan Hill California | December 12, 2011

After doing much research the Honda Element has been a great first car for my kids. Its also a kick to drive now and then from my Ford Expedition. So much room inside you would think your in a full size SUV, comfortable seats and a good ride. You have to get use to the door thing but if you don't want your kids having passengers as its law in Ca, its a great deterrent. Really not that bad. With the seats down or better yet out you can put lots of cargo with plenty of room for the front passengers. We have put 4k miles on the Element over the past three months. Plenty of power to get you up to and stay at 70-80. I was very surprised. We have got a go as 27 MPG and as low as 22. AT 60-65 we average 25 on a regular basic. We did a long haul with the cruise control set a 60 and got 27. Not too bad. The element handles good with a little body lean with standard tires. One we wear the new tires out we will put some aluminum rims as I hope to extract another MPH with them being less weight. Brakes work well and stop the car very well. The body looks great thought it is prone to door dings since they are so flat. We have the plastic fenders and are great wit the new drivers. They really don't care where they park. Additions I would recommencement are fog lights as the normal driving lights don't light as much as we would like. Arm rest for the driver seat as it seem you want to lean to far in this spacious interior. It make a long haul much more comfortable. Ipod connection and a GPS. My kids love it along with myself when I can get to drive it.

Most Practical Car Ever Built

by Flying Dutchman from South Milwaukee, WI. | September 19, 2011

2008 Honda Element EX AWD. Terrific vehicle, it has everything you need and nothing that you don't need. Element is a blast to drive, has great visibility, a very small turning circle, and is easily manuvered into tight parking spaces. Car converts from four passenger SUV to cargo van in seconds by tilting rear seats up and to the sides. It is extremely easy to drive, easy to clean, and easy on gas. I average 24 mpg in city and 28 mpg on highway. Full time four wheel drive is a bonus for Wisconsin winters. Wife stated car was the ugliest she had ever seen, but now will not give it up, so I bought another (2005 EX AWD) for myself. We have four cars and one truck, but the two Elements get used 95% of the time. They are just too practical and too much fun to drive to be left idle in our garage. While initially targeted for the yournger crowd, we are in our mid 60's and the Element suits our needs in every respect. I think Honda made a huge mistake in not advertising this car more and is making an even bigger mistake by discontinuing the Element at the end of 2011. I will certainly try to make ours last for many, many years to come.

Mr. Utility

by Mtn. Biker from Quad Cities, IA | March 31, 2011

If you are looking for a truck-like vehicle that can open up to be spacious and protected, this is your vehicle. It is not car-like, it gets decent gas mileage, and can be wiped out with a bucket and sponge. All-wheel drive gets you through winters without problem.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Fantastic box

by Boxx is my name from Cleveland, OH | November 21, 2010

When you look at the Honda Element from the outside, you would think that it is smaller, by once you step inside. . . WOW it is very roomy. I am 6'2" and I fit like a toddler in the Honda Fit! The Element is very reliable and i bought mine used with around 36,000 miles on it and it is still like new! The interior is nice, when it gets dirty all ou have to do is wipe it down. But it could use some more storage compartments. I love what the exterior looks like! I love box shaped cars so the element is perfect for me. i think that i got a good deal for the price that i paid. i think that the inside is a touch boring but i just threw in some of my own touches like a stuffed mushroom plushie or some little novelty items to make it look vibrant. the comfort of the car is ok. I mean i took a 6 hour drive the other day and it was a bit uncomfortable, but not the worst. I was still happy when i finished my trip. Over all i give the Honda Element a 9.9/10!

Featured Services for this Honda Element