The versatile Honda Element is a boxy, compact crossover whose tall styling makes up for modest overall length. Originally pitched as a dorm room on wheels for college-age folks, the Element also appeals to families and senior citizens because of its easy entry and exit and spacious interior. Available in LX, EX and SC trims, the Element competes with rivals such as the Jeep Compass, Ford Escape and Nissan Rogue.
New for 2010
There are no significant changes for 2010.
The Element received redesigned headlamps and taillamps and a new front grille last year, so it more closely resembles its larger, more sedate cousin, the Pilot. Element's trademark center-opening swing-wide doors with no B-pillar remain a distinguishing feature. The SC features a different, custom grille, painted bumpers, larger wheels and a lowered stance.
- Available 16- or 18-inch wheels
- Standard power mirrors
- Chrome exhaust tips (EX and SC)
- Optional fog lamps
The front and rear seats can be folded or moved — Honda claims 64 different seating configurations — creating a large, open cargo space. SC versions get a carpeted cargo area, while the regular model has a wipe-clean plastic surface. The SC's dashboard is darker and less fanciful, with piano-black trim around the center control panel, vents and on the steering wheel; the seats feature a patterned design. The EX and SC also get a three-compartment overhead storage unit.
- Standard air conditioning
- Standard power windows and locks
- Standard water-resistant seats (LX and EX)
- 270-watt audio system (EX and SC)
- Optional GPS navigation system
- Optional MP3 jack
Under the Hood
The Element keeps the same powertrain offerings as before. The SC features a sport-tuned suspension.
- 166-horsepower, inline-four-cylinder engine with 161 pounds-feet of torque
- Five-speed automatic transmission
- Available front- or all-wheel drive
Available safety features include:
- Standard side-impact airbags
- Standard side curtain airbags
- Standard antilock braking system
- Standard electronic stability system with traction control
- Optional backup camera