2009 Honda Fit

2009 Honda Fit
Available in 2 styles:  2009 Honda Fit 4dr FWD Hatchback shown

27 city / 33 hwy

Overall

Dont buy the first model year of a vehicle

by ehren from houston, tx | February 21, 2014

I bought a 2009 Honda fit brand new. I now have 135000 miles on the car and since I've owned the car it has been nothing but trouble. At about 60000 miles my right rear wheel bearing went out. At about 75000 miles the ABS control module "ABS computer" went out which is a 1400 dollar part. The braking system is pretty terrible, I think its too small for the car. The rotors heat up really bad and get warped really easy. I even tried putting ventilated rotors but that didn't help, I certainly hope the next generation has four wheel discs unlike the current models. Another thing is the interior material is very cheap and all the plastic panels squeak, vibrate and moan if your not on a brand new completely smooth road which really gets on my nerves. The seat fabric looked worn after only about 2 years of use. The only good things I can say is that the car gets better MPG's than the EPA estimates, I average about 28-30 city and 36-40 hwy. The car also handles pretty well. Good luck!

small car big persona

by Connie from Plano, TX | August 9, 2013

Love Honda and impressive for its size, this car has great looks and inside is comfortable for 4 adults.

Fits the mission exactly of what I wanted....

by TJT from Scottsdale, AZ | April 4, 2013

I recently purchased a used 2011 Honda Fit Sport with just under 10K miles. Having been wasting gas for years driving a 4x4 truck I didn't need, by myself 90% of the time, this car was exactly what I wanted. The ride others mention doesn't bother me at all most likely because I'm coming from a truck. I've waited almost 1,000 miles of driving to write this review wanting to see what my MPG was with some real miles under my belt. 99% of my driving is a mix of city and highway and I've averaged 35.6 mpg in just over 1K miles. The fit is small on the outside, but surprisingly big on the inside. I can fit my wife and I, along with three kids in the back seat and those shorter trips aren't that bad. In the end, I've owned many different brands of cars, and I just keep coming back to Honda's. I started in a four speed manual Honda Civic when I was 16, and now over 20 years later I'm back to Honda again. Maybe I'll learn my lesson and just stick with Honda's. A fun car to drive.

Good for 50,000 miles

by Old Engineer from Ohio | February 7, 2013

Great engineering, poor quality. I love the room inside, comfortable for 4 people or two and two giant dogs. I can get almost anything in this car. It handles nicely on dry, calm days, a little frisky in wind and not the greatest when it gets slick. The cup holders on dash are in the absolute best place for putting my coffee. Like the GPS but don't like having to pay a hefty sum each year to update it (my other GPS upgrades for free). Suggest you get the extended warranty, though. 100,000 miles is only for the major drive train. At 46,000 things are starting to go. The seat belt doesn't retract well. The blower motor for the heater needs to be replaced. The little spring that opens the fuel door has broken. And never leave the lights on. The battery is hard to find and expensive to replace and it drains fast. This car has a warm garage to sleep in and gets regular service. Good design, mediocre quality.

We are glad we bought this car.

by Kim from Wilmington, DE | October 7, 2012

My wife and I researched smaller cars for over two months, we decide to find a used Fit, we knew we wanted an 2009 because we could get cruise control. We bought our Fit used from a Toyota dealer, got a great deal and have driven all over the east coast with it. Our trip to Florida we average 42 mpg. all we did was go the speed limit. It is the roomist small car on the market, I am 6"4" and have plenty of head room. I have talked three of my friends into buying a Fit and they all love their cars. My car is manual trans, but if you live in the city I would recommend getting the automatic trans.

Great Mileage, versatile, reliable

by Cross country escapes from WV | September 22, 2012

I love my Fit. It carries all my garden stuff, dog, people and gets great mileage. I love that I can see really well, it fits on country roads, it has just the right amount of "zoom" and didn't cost a fortune. I've had Hondas since 1980 and driven them for high 100,000s. I'd like a smoother ride but blame our deteriorating roads for most of it. I'm happy that I have a vehicle that's reliable and I don't have to drive a gas guzzling monster. Please Honda, don't let it get any bigger.

Small but alot of car for the money

by Honda Evangelist from Richmond, VA | July 23, 2012

I looked at the Chevy Aveo or Sonic as a possible second car. Bought a used Honda Fit instead, and luv it!

Wife's Honda

by Pizza Man from Spring Hill,TN | May 14, 2012

I bought this car 6 weeks ago for my wife. She wanted to replace our BMW with something far more fuel efficient and reliable. So far we are averaging between 34-36 MPG in everyday driving(better than EPA estimate) and the car is good for hauling stuff. My wife loves the car and we were able to trade our 2005 BMW with 117000 miles on it needing approximately $3000 worth of service and repairs for a 2009 Honda Fit with 15900 miles straight up.

Honda Fit

by plugger from Springfield, MO | March 12, 2012

I have owned two Honda Fits. These cars combine the best qualities that a small can have. The car truly "fits the need."

Great little car but Honda America made an error

by Robbz from Santa Clara, CA | November 7, 2011

Overall, I love the car. Has a lot of cargo room, decent fuel economy, overall quality so far pretty good... BUT what is built for the US market is on compared to the Jazz I have used in Asia. I am 5'10" and find the seats to be the least comfortable of anything I have driven in 30 years. WHO did they design it to fit? The Jazz in Asia has more adjustments and is comfortable. The one I bought here... I am looking to replace the seats or sell the car since it is killing my back. MANY online complaints similar to mine and Honda USA is silent. Even the Canadian and Mexican version have a better, more adjustable seat... WHY??? Road noise could be better as well... but I fixed that in a day with sound deadening material... really, I am not a picky person... just seems they went cheap were there was no need to... save a few $$$ at the expense of mediocrity