2000 Honda Insight

61 city / 70 hwy

Overall

Awesome little car!!!

by droll from | May 20, 2014

I had one of these cars when I had to do a lot of driving. i would drive close to 300 miles a week and only spent less than $300 a week in gas. Was a vary fun car to drive and reliable. Drove it down to Texas which is about a 2200 mile round trip on less than $200. I deeply regret the day that i sold this car and would love the opportunity to get another.

Outstanding Car

by Former Owner from Washington DC | March 20, 2014

I just sold my 2000 Insight after 2.5 years and 60K miles. It was an excellent car that I know I will miss. I bought it as an economic decision and discovered it was a wise investment - despite its funky look. I averaged high 60 MPG on my long commutes. Never really had to do anything to it other than put gas in it and tires on it. The car effectively paid for itself with my gas savings. It only had 130K on it when I sold it and expect it will probably last another 200K with the new owner.

If you need the gas mileage......

by rusty41251 from Minden, NV | February 25, 2014

Any 2000-2006 Insight is a car with a narrow purpose. Two seats, horrible ride, weird handling, what's to like? Well no car, and I mean no car will get this kind of mileage on the open road. You drive in town? Get a plug-in. But i drive 52,000 freeway miles a year and this car has been a godsend. I have averaged 70! mpg since 2005. I drive very carefully at 60mph but it has paid off. I held 90 mpg once from San Jose to the Grapevine. Also, for a modern car it is easy to work on; Plus no timing belt. DO NOT drive this car in snow. Very reliable.

This is the worst mistake I have ever made.

by cmp from Tennessee | October 4, 2011

I bought a 2000 Honda Insight, that only had 73000 miles on it and a perfect carfax history in June 2011 in Texas (I live in Tennessee). I attempted to drive it home. The air conditioner went out after 20 minutes, but I didn't think that unreasonable in an 11 year old car, and it didn't have a warranty. I had it checked at a Honda dealership on my trip home, who said I would need to replace the compressor, so I kept driving, planning on doing it at home. I was not advised that that should be a problem. 3 hours from home, the compressor seized up, broke that belt that ran both the compressor and the water pump. The water pump failed, the engine overheated (without giving me any alert that it was overheating), and the engine was destroyed. I towed the car home, and after hard, hard thinking, decided to replace the engine. 3 months later, and $5900 later, that was finally completed. 2 days later the check engine light came on. I returned the car to the shop, and have just found out that the hybrid battery, which I was told was only 2 years old (had been replaced 2 years ago, I was told), has failed and needs to be replaced. That will be another $2000. I am not sure I will do it. This car, which I bought for $8500, has now cost me $15000 so far, and now another $2000, and I have only driven it 4 days out of the 4 months I have owned it. This is a nightmare.

I haved saved thousands on gas

by travelersfs from California | September 15, 2011

Absolute joy to drive. Smooth and reliable. Never think twice about making a drive...Anywhere!!!. Recently saw a 2000 model on CL with over 400k miles for sale. wow!

Inexpensive to maintain, totally dependable

by Kim from Temecula | July 21, 2009

My husband drives this car. We have almost 200,000 miles on it and it still runs PERFECT!!! Honda said this car was suppose to get 70 mpg, but the best we have seen is 64.5, and that is feathering the gas and drafting semi trucks.... which is still amazing. On avereance we get about 60-62 mpg. The down side is that it has no power. If you drive easy, not in a hurry and don't mind people getting mad because you can't get up to speed as quickly....then this is the perfect car! We have always mainted the car at the Honda dealer and our 7,000 mile services run about $79.00....which is increadibly cheap when you figure the saving in gas and dependablility it offers. We highly recommened this commuter car!

Insight on the Insight

by Dave from Fullerton, Ca | May 8, 2009

Incredible vehicle. Have only owned one second hand for 5 months but easily the best engineered car ever. Gets about 55 mmpg on highways and 45 local easily the best hybrid on the market. Too bad Honda discontinued it = only knock is it is a 2 seater they could have engineered in a third seat which would have been a great bonus. For communuting and a small family this is the ultimate vehcile. Handles great = surprising performance but very weak on hills.

Great car!

by hybrid from | November 16, 2008

My Insight has been trouble-free and has given me 48 to 60 mpg without effort on my part. Fun to drive, easy to get around town and park. Sharp looks!

Fantastic $65,000 Cost to Build by Honda

by Fred from Miami, FL | September 24, 2008

This car is a gift from Honda to the American drivers. Gas economy plus style. You can't do better.

Incredible gas mileage

by pkellmey from St. Louis, Missouri | November 22, 2006

I have owned this car for almost 7 years. In the beginning I got 65 mpg city/85 highway. Now I get 50 city/75 highway. This car has had 0 reliability problems since day one. I have been in 3 separate accidents from Luxury SUVs hitting it, and the aluminum alloy body easily took incredible crushing damage without any of it entering the interior where I sat, even after a side collision. However, people who are not familiar with hybrids should know, as the batteries age the stored energy deplete a little quicker and take a little longer to recharge. All batteries also deplete quickly in cold weather. That leaves a little less performance during winter, but not enough to be a concern for most people.

Featured Services for this Honda Insight