2000 Honda Odyssey

18 city / 25 hwy

Overall

Great Minivan

by DriverOfVan from NJ | May 15, 2014

I bought my 2000 Honda Odyssey brand new, 14 years ago this month. It now has 100,000 miles on it, since I use it locally more than for long distance. First, great seating capacity and a lot of room to pack things in. I've hauled two bikes at a time, only having to put the third row seat down. No rust, yet the van is never garaged. The interior held up well to all that kids can give it. Hardly any problems until now. The air conditioning just went (needs a total overhaul), and the transmission is iffy. As I accelerate, it hesitates at times and has been for a few months. It's getting worse. The noise level isn't good either, never has been though. So--I'm in the market for a new Odyssey or CR-V. But to have a car for fourteen years and 100,000 miles of local driving, without much trouble, is good.

Has been a very good vehicle.

by Johnny from St Paul, MN | November 23, 2013

Bought ours used in 2002 with 93k miles already on it so we got it pretty cheap for only being a couple years old. We have only had minor issues and it now has 224k on it, so 11 years and 130,000 miles of use for us. Still runs great though doesn't ride too great any more. Would still trust it to drive anywhere. Never had tranny issues and it has zero oil or fluid leaks. It is a very well made van. The power doors have sometimes stopped but disconnecting the battery for a few seconds seems to reset them and have never had to pay for them to be fixed. If it died today I would consider to have gotten my money's worth from it though it probably is still worth over $2k. Would buy again.

Engine is great but transmission is worst

by ped from Phila,PA | March 5, 2012

If you got money to throw out the window then get one. I own a 2000 honda odyssey for about 2 months, beside for a smooth and comfortable ride. the transmission is no good. A used tranny will fail in no time, a rebuilt tranny cost too much and a new tranny is very expensive.

One of the most reliable vans I have owned

by Miss Reliability from Nappanee, Indiana | February 20, 2012

The independent dealer who sold us the car was outstanding & very honest. It has been everything he said it was. We took it on a trip & was amazed it got 31 miles to the gallon

Very Satisfied

by HAWK from NJ/GA | January 3, 2012

Owned this car for ten years and over 132,000 miles and recently sold it . Only reason for selling was to purchase a 2008 Odyssey for additional safety features. Both vehicles meet my needs for comfort and space.

Great Minivan

by Daily Driver from New York, NY | June 1, 2011

This minivan was my fathers for one year, then I inherited it in 2001 with 12K miles. Ive since put an additional 110K miles almost completely trouble free. Mechanically the car is great, only have done regular maintenance. The sliding doors do stick, and in the first couple of years I broke a few handles trying to get them open. This is the LX, non-power sliding doors. Mileage has been very good. I drove cross country once and on one tank got just over 30 mpg. On the highway I usually get anywhere from 26 to 28 mpg on the highway and 21 to 23 mpg around town which is incredible for a V6 powered minivan. Lots of room inside and handles great with its 4 wheel independent suspension. I had a older style (1989) Mazda MPV with the live rear axle and it would skip over bumps compared to the smooth soaking up of the bumps with the Odyssey. I have read about the troubles with the transmission, but mine has been fine. Overall and excellent value.

Planning to buy another one

by bikracer from Atascadero, CA | April 15, 2011

My husband and I are cyclists and have a tandem bicycle as well as single bikes. We bought the Odyssey because it was the only van long and tall enough to accommodate our tandem without making any adjustments other than removing the front wheel. We have gotten completely reliable service from it as well as good mileage. Our dealer tried to tell us we needed to replace the transmission (we weren't having problems) so we took it to another mechanic for a second opinion. He told us the transmission was fine. My husband commutes in it and we have taken it on many long road trips with our bikes without a problem. We're planning another long road trip this spring. When we replace this van it will definitely be with another Honda Odyssey!

Not This Year

by FamilyFleetOwner from Bethel, CT | March 4, 2011

Hondas are great. We've got 4 of 5 family cars. This model and this year are a disaster that dealers won't acknowledge. We bought the van used. I wish I had found out about the transmission problems before buying. Honda extended the warranty, but we are just past their coverage. There's is only a little chug in the transmission when you hit the accelerator, but now I feel as if the Grim Reaper is hovering. There is also a check engine light issue. I see from various web postings that this is an ongoing mystery for other owners of 2000 Odysseys. The light simply keeps coming back on. The dealer will tell you that it could be a hundred things from exhaust system to transmission. We chased a few options for repair but several hundred dollars later, it still comes on. They finally suggested black electrical tape to cover the light. Hmmmmm..... Stay away from this year!!!!

Most spacious car i've had

by Minivan Lover from New York, NY | February 23, 2011

This van is one of the best used minivans to get. That's all I can say until you get one. But be careful with the transmission on this one because it isn't to good.

GREAT MINI VAN

by HARD NOSED DRIVER from Wisconsin | January 24, 2011

I bought this van used with 70 K miles on it. Now have well over 100,000 and it is still as wonderful as the day I got it. The fuel mileage is between 21 and 27- depending on where you are driving( city or highway) We have taken several trips and it is the most comfortable vehicle I have owned. I am over 60 and it is extremely easy to enter and exit-more than I can say for regular cars. My friends and I take this on golf outings often. It works perfect for 4 large guys and their clubs and gear. If you can find one-buy it!!!