2002 Honda Odyssey

18 city / 25 hwy

Overall

238,000 miles!

by Lov'n it! from Chelsea MI | January 15, 2014

We buy minivans with 90-100k miles on them (if the vans make it that far then we know they're reliable) and drive them until they require too much maintenance. We are just ending our time with our first Honda Odyssey (2002). We purchased it in 2006 after the owner had changed the transmission due to the known transmission problem (at 88,000 miles). We have driven it everywhere and hauled just about everything - from loads of firewod to 4x8 drywall to a 3500 lb boat AND we live on a dirt road (known to be hard on cars). One thunderstorm we were driving and a tree fell on top of our van (tree was about 1' in diameter). I saw where it hit (right behind our heads) and then wondered if the roof would hold - it held just fine and then the tree rolled off the back of the van after smashing the side window behind me. We got the van fixed and it continued to prove very reliable. I have owned 3 other minivans and was only able to get an extra 65-75k miles - this one we got about 150,000 miles out of it. It also has lots of gusto and is fun to drive on the highway when you want to accelerate fast. Yoohoo!

VERY DEPENDABLE.

by BRUCE from CLEVELAND ,OH | April 10, 2012

SUITS MY EVERY NEED FOR WORK AND FAMILY.A TRUE TRANSFORMER.....THIS IS THE FOURTH ONE MY FAMILY HAS PURCHASED.1996 1998 2002 AND 2003.

Great performance

by Tourist from Michigan City, IN | August 7, 2010

It is a car for touring and it's great! I like the comfort and the performance is also great. It's a very good car!

ody02

by Familymom from Honeoye,NY | May 15, 2010

The only complaint is that we only have 70,000 miles on it and already need transmission work and all vans are hard on the transmission. Thank God the dealer we bought the car from gave it a warranty. Besides that I love it!!!!

Reliable so far but not cost effective

by Had It in Hawaii from Pukalani, Hawaii | December 22, 2008

I expected to own this car & not have any major repairs, for at least 10 years. After telling the maintenance dept. about a vibration upfront occuring between 20-25mph since Jan 06, my husband & I went down to see if we could get this problem dealt with. We pulled out all maintenance records showing documentation of our notifying them of the problem, as well as our doing regular maintenance. We'd be charged for checking it out, but always told it didn't do that for them. Finally they went with us, it did it, they checked it out in the shop(for free) & finally diagnosed that the torque converter clutch & PCM needs to be changed. This would cost $4,950 but our share would be $1,900. This car costs more than my parents 35 year old house!!! I am very disappointed & vow to go back to Toyota.

Disappointed with Honda Odyssey

by Disappointed with Honda from | November 16, 2008

I enjoyed the 2002 Odyssey we purchased new until the transmission went out at 99,000 miles. Apparently, a common flaw. Repair bill from Honda dealer was $4,100.00 and they offered us $4,900.00 trade in value if we fix the transmission. Road noise was excessive and the front window defroster was ineffective.

Very pleased

by crwinsmore from Cary, NC | July 18, 2008

Purchased an EX with 44,000 miles on it, and now have 98,000. Just replaced the timing belt, as well as water pump as precautionary measure; mechanic advice. Not one repair otherwise; just maintenance. Very strong engine; really like the acceleration. Very comfy interior; love the space. If it had external temp, I would have given 5 stars for features. The DVD player with wireless headsets is great. Auto doors are sluggish sometimes and rattle a bit; always have. (Had a Chrysler T&C for 8 years before a rattle occurred, so that's a little disappointing.) Wish wind noise and road noise was lower. Ride is rather harsh w/o newer tires . I put Michelin Hydroedges on it once and took them off after 20,000 miles- way too rough and loud. It's not bad with Michelin Destinies. Handling is great- not much body lean for a van, partly due to its width. Still, after 98,000 miles, handling is still very responsive. Fuel economy is 19-20 in city, 23-26 on highway: Great for a vehicle this size. Very pleased overall. I bought it from an owner that had bought another new Odyssey. I hope to do that again!

EX-L

by Minivan person thingy from Minneapolis, MN | July 16, 2008

It's definitely a well-put-together automobile, and does what it is made to do as good as it can. We have the EX-L with leather seats and a DVD player. The captains chairs are very comfortable, and the DVD screen, although a bit awkward for second-row occupants, is large enough to enjoyably watch a movie on. The automatic doors get stuck VERY easily, especially if you live in a climate where it gets cold during the winters. We have had to buy de-icer multiple times to get them to open. Stereo display only shows track number, not track length when listening to a CD. Overall, a nice minivan and is up to par with other Honda's.

Love it!

by Flip from IN | September 21, 2007

I've had my Odyssey for over a year and it has yet to dissapoint. DVD entertains the kids (headsets so I can listen to my CDs simultaneously), very comfy seats, rock solid installation with every child restraint I've tried... Perfect family vehicle.

Good solid vehicle that our kids love

by Silver Bullet from Louisville, KY | May 1, 2007

The Odyssey is a good value for the money when bought used. We've taken ours on a couple trips now and I enjoy the comfort and good handling. It doesn't feel like you are driving a truck like some other minivans do. The seats are very comfortable and turn on the heat and you have instant warmth which is easy to get used to. Be careful though or you might not like driving a car without heated seats. The Odyssey has a lot of power for its size which adds to the pleasure of driving it. Its not a sports car ride but it definately feels more like a car than a van. You will have no trouble passing when you like. The kids love the DVD system with wireless headphones. For long trips its awesome because they can listen to movies without everyone having to hear. Its a little bit of a problem though because they tend to whine when we take the other car. The dual air with climate control is also a nice feature. My other car doesn't have all the gadgets so I've enjoyed them on the Odyssey. Remote power doors are something that come in handy too. Just punch a button and wha-lah... one or both doors open for the kids to jump in or for loading groceries. Overall I think the Odyssey is a great van. Compared to other's I've ridden in its a cut above in many ways... especially handling and comfort.

Featured Services for this Honda Odyssey