2003 Honda Odyssey

18 city / 25 hwy

Overall

Hopeful

by Fuzz from South Carolina | August 14, 2014

I have had my odessey for about a month. I was disappointed when I found out there was a recall on the transmission and saw all the reviews about the complaints about the transmission. I have replaced the timing belt and water pump as it didn't appear to have been done at 90,000 miles and it has 121,000. BUT, my mechanic says it's a great car and should last me a very long time. I hoping he's right!

Awesome family vehicle- 9 years! 03 Honda Odyssey

by Zumbala from Elyria, OH | August 7, 2014

Awesome family car for us for 9 years! Reliable, good power, great entertainment for the kids in the back, they watch DVDs with headsets on while we listen to what we want. Comfortable full size bucket seats. We kept up the maintenance up and it never broke down on us!

dont buy this garbage peole please

by prisi from providence | February 17, 2014

Have one ..ever since I got it problems and more problems cant wait to buy a toyota it has transmission problems sensors problems electric problems..its a garbage van.....

2003 Honda Odyssey nice driver

by Odyssey Owner from Smyrna,DE | October 2, 2013

For the money this vehicle was a good buy. It's pretty economical on gas, better than the ratings. The car drives very nice and has decent pick up being a V-6 makes it pleasant to drive. I purchased it locally as opposed to buying one several hours away. The car had one owner and was dealer maintained and all maint. records were furnished. Mileage was a bit higher than I would have liked but, these vehicles have a good reputation for being reliable into the 2 and 300,000 mile range. You would not think by the way it drives that it has the mileage it does. I probably will buy a newer one in a couple years or once I sell my other car.

Extraordinarily Reliable & Solid, but...

by Lenexa KS from Lenexa, KS | January 27, 2013

Bought '03 EX used (1-owner) with about 120k miles and currently has about 190k miles. This van has been very reliable, with just repairs of typical wear items (tires, brakes, suspension parts). Vehicle is extraordinarily solid and doesn't have one squeak or rattle anywhere - the opposite of our '04 Sienna (which we bought new and have regretted many times). The engine runs like new and the only drivability/comfort complaint is that there is quite a bit of road noise, especially on the highway. The infamous transmission has been "whirring" occasionally for the past 50k miles but hasn't given me any problems. Yet. I know nearly 200k miles is unusual for the original transmission for these things, and the plan is to just drive this thing until the transmission goes (which could be next month or in 2 years!). Fantastic van otherwise and decent fun to drive for a van.

Very comfortable van

by Lyn from | December 12, 2012

So far so good. I do feel a little jerking in the transmission when starting out cold and the clock light does not work. I have read some bad things about the transmission after my purchase but I'm trying to think positive.

Honda's are not reliable

by Vehichle Researcher from Fort Lauderdale, FL | August 1, 2012

We have had so many problems with our 2003 Honda Odyssey. Google any to see how many others had the same problem and you will see why you should stay away from Honda. To make matters worse Honda does not stand behind what they produce. Here are some of the bigger problems we had: Transmission replaced by Honda at 70k miles, but I had to pay $3500 to replace it again at 160k. At 60k miles paint started peeling off roof down to metal due to defective primer, but Honda only recalled the color midnight blue, not white which is what we had so the van looks like a junker. Engine mounts went bad with only 50k on the car $475 to replace 2 out of 4. Back window motors work sometimes and not others depending upon the temperature, smart key wore out and wouldn't turn ignition - had to get a whole new ignition key assembly put in, power steering pump died, AC valve had to be replaced, new brake rotors every 40k... Very sorry to say I would never buy another Honda or recommend one.

I still owe money on it, but I can't go anywhere

by stuck in second gear from Columbus, Oh | April 26, 2012

I love the IDEA of this van. It was comfy for my family of 6 and drove well--at first--with decent gas mileage. It is lovely with leather and power everything, including sliding doors. But none of those things do me any good when the transmission won't shift out of second gear so it is just parked. To have the transmission replaced by a certified Honda dealer would cost double what the vehicle is actually worth for a tradein/at auction, and we still owe money on it! Even if we get the transmission fixed with a rebuilt, the infamous timing belt (debacle of '03s and '04s) will have to be replaced costing another $1000-$1500. Disappointing experience with Honda. Not likely to purchase another one. Sad.

Great Van

by knichole2000 from Hamilton, MS | April 17, 2012

I purchased this van from Honda on the used car lot and I love it. So roomy for my 5+ family. The kids don't want to stay out of it. It has been reliable so far. Honda dealership has been great to work with also.

Great Family Car

by mark s from scottsdale, az | March 6, 2012

Very reliable, very comfortable van. It is ideal for families with small children. Transmissions are usually good for about 90K miles, so make sure that the transmission has been rebuilt when you buy an older model used Odyssey

Featured Services for this Honda Odyssey