2004 Honda Odyssey

18 city / 25 hwy

Overall

tranny needs TLC or else

by phidknee from ny | February 26, 2014

GET your tranny serviced every 20,000 miles or else ? Do a complete fluid drain ( all fluid , watch on you tube) filter ? yes there is a filter , Honda only tranny fluid , install a tranny cooler & inline magna filter ( order on line) and don't use the 2004 odyssey for towing . Follow these guide lines and your tranny should last ! Why Honda does not offer this service info your guess is as good as mine , and they would make there clients happy & make money at the same time ? I own a 2004 EX-L Odyssey & got it in Sept 2004 from local Honda dealer on long island. Great van up until April 2012 when I started to notice a shutter between 2&3 gears and with only 94,000 miles on the van I never even thought of a tranny problem ! But within weeks the green (D) drive light on the dash was flashing , not a good sign when an Idiot lights up in any car ! So started out with Honda USA no help , then to You Tube , huge help & an a place to start ! Hope you find my trial & error helpful ? Oh & by the way so far so good , 2 years later the 04 has 115,000 miles on org tranny & just bought a new 2014 EX-L Odyssey that will get a tranny cooler ad Magna-fine filter for starters . Good luck people I like the van but it does have a major flaw / the tranny / it's your call but this van drives & handles great !

Honda Odyssey

by Pap Paws Van from Verona, Ky | December 2, 2013

Purchased 2004 Odyssey with 115,000 miles have only had for a couple months, but so far it is a very nice and dependable vehicle. Would recommend it to friend or family member

Honda Van Rocks

by Magnum Matt 86 from Fort Wayne, IN | January 4, 2013

I was skeptical when my wife wanted the mini-van. We bought a new '04 Odyssey and I still love it! Even with 171,000 mi, it rides better than my 3 year old SUV. We are now determined to get this baby to 1/4 million miles! Nothing beats this vehicle for family trips or campiing.

TRANSMISSION SHUDDER

by Van man from fRAMINGHAM,MA | November 28, 2012

Purchased used from the dealer few weeks after transmission started shudder and problems were progressing since and now we have to spend thousands of dollars for reconditioned transmission. I did talk to American Honda they do not even try to help us with repair of the van, has only 50K miles They excuse was, we did 'purchased used from the dealer'and paid full retail. The dealer does not want to repair the van under the warranty also. Now no one is responsible for the HONDA made ┬┐┬┐junk. In my research I did found way to many transmission lot of problems people experienced with Honda vehicles.

This is a good car and fun to drive

by Mike from Columbus, IN. | September 12, 2012

I really like the Honda. It is a comfortable ride. All the accessories work well. It can carry up to 7 people very comfortably. I like the automatic door closings. The air conditioning is super.

I can't imagine wanting to drive anything else

by Mini-van Mom from Petersburg, VA | May 21, 2012

I bought a 2004 Honda Odyssey to replace a 1997 Odyssey that gave me 279K miles of uncomplaining service. (Engine was replaced at 154K Miles with one that had 69K miles, transmission rebuilt after 180K miles.) I wanted to upgrade not because my old Honda died, but because my son is old enough to drive. The 2004 has the six cylinder engine, which is a big improvement. The sliding doors are more like what I was used to on my Chrysler mini-vans, but with a door on both sides and the lovely addition of power controls. The interior is comfortable for a family of 7 and the fold-down rear seat and split middle seat make camping trips a cinch. The air-conditioning and heating controls are a big win too, with automatic settings that control the fans and heating/cooling based on a set desired temperature. If I had one complaint, it is so minor as to be silly--2004 pre-dates the prevalence of MP3 players, so there is no jack to hook one in. A $9 adapter for the cassette player fixed that problem! I love this car! My driving is a mix of city and highway, and with the air-conditioner going I have averaged 21 MPG. Not great, but not bad.

Odyssey Mom's limo/truck/bus

by tanvanmama from Indy | June 6, 2011

We derove our '00 Odyssey over 178k mi with very few mech. issues. Gas n go, reg service, gas n go again. Our van has hauled everything: Kids, bikes, strollers, groceries, mulch, camping gear, and so on. When it was time to upgrade... we bought another one! Newer van has a few handy features like key fobs to open doors, CD payer, and built in garage door opener. There are a lot of other fancier vans but Honda design gives a lot of solid value for the money!

safe, reliable transportation and nice to drive

by Family Guy from Oswego, IL | May 11, 2011

We bought the '04 Odyssey in winter of 2011. Buy the higher model of the two. At 100,000 miles, it's still in good shape--not rattling or rusted. I enjoy driving it and could see us taking it on road trips.

great family vehicle

by working dad from Davenport, Iowa | March 8, 2011

We replace our 2003 honda odyssey with this 2004 version. We've been very happy with it so far. They have made it quieter, smoother running and more efficient.

works like a truck, drives a whole lot better

by adventures in odyssey from Phoenix | December 1, 2010

We love our Odyssey! We volunteer with a refugee settlement ministry. I have driven thousands of miles, hauled hundreds of people, delivered tons of donated household goods and all in great comfort and safety. I can deliver six kids safely to youth group, flip the seats down, take two out, and then deliver a complete twin bed with room to spare. Men, especially, have scoffed at me as I drive up to collect huge piles of donations, including beds. Once I drive away with their donations tucked inside my Odyssey, they are true believers. Even with a big load of stuff or people, the van has power and gets a move on, which is required to drive in this city!

Featured Services for this Honda Odyssey