2003 Honda Pilot

17 city / 22 hwy

Overall

Forever Customer

by Honda lover from Chandler , Arizona | August 12, 2013

We had to recently purchase another car due to an accident that totaled our Honda Odyssey. Unfortunately they had only given us money to purchase another vehicle similar to ours and we had a 2004 Odyssey van with 119,000 miles but in great condition. We could not find any similar used models in the area like ours. We were told it was because they are a great car. Of course that made us worried that we would not be able to find another reliable vehicle. We were wrong. We looked and looked and found our Honda Pilot at the dealer. It was a year older but it had 30,000 miles less than our van. When we looked at the car fax we knew this was the car we needed to purchase. Incredible clean Carfax. The vehicle looked brand new and we really love it. In the past I would never buy a used car that had more than 40,000 miles but my Honda purchases has changed my view on that. They go forever! You Can't lose owning a Honda!

Lots of car for the money

by Dutch from Littletton, Colorado | August 5, 2013

Now at 211000 miles. Never kept a car with that many miles before. I bought it as an additional car to go on vacation with and carry lots of things. we took it to Mexico twice and it never missed a beat. Transmission was starting to slip occasionally at 199000 miles and I bought a used one at 209000 just to be safe. Gas mileage not that great with max 20 MPG even though the engine is perfectly tuned and has had a recent value adjustment as well. I tried Premium fuel over Regular unleaded and can not notice any difference.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

still love it

by robby d from atlanta | June 16, 2013

like everything about this truck that I bought used in 2010. good choice for anyone looking for inexpensive, reliable and good in gas SUV

Purchases with lots of miles, hoping tranny holds

by NW Indiana from Highland, IN | May 8, 2013

picked up used with 160,000 miles since I just need something to haul stuff and kids with. I like the vehicle a lot, but the transmission does slip from time to time. I'm praying it won't need a new one dropped in anytime soon. Otherwise a nice vehicle.

Another Honda homerun

by Honda addicted from Lancaster, Pa. | November 26, 2011

Bought my 2003 Pilot new. To date, have replaced muffler, front brake rotors, muffler and 2 engine mounts in 8 years. I have owned 5 Hondas and this Pilot is most reliable yet. Comfortable, spacious and 16MPG around town and 22-24 on the highway. Have 114,000 miles and use it in snow and to go to the shore. Hauls my snowblower and troybilt tiller with ease. Uses no oil between 3000 mile oil changes and I change transmission fluid every 15,000 miles. Two co-workers bought a Pilot after riding in mine and seeing how reliable it is. Live in Central Pa. and in 8 years, have yet to have any snow storm challenge it.

lousy tranny

by post from cincinnati oh | August 2, 2011

transmission went out at 105,000 mi. as well as steering rack- honda gave me 750.00 out of the 3500.00 bill- nice people them hondai

Highly Dependable Vehicle

by Oddy from MARYLAND | April 23, 2011

Great truck in terms of reliability and comfort, but not pleased with it's mileage on gas.Handles well on wet or icy road conditions.

So versatile, better than a minivan!

by Former Minivan Mom from Purdue Country!!! | January 16, 2011

I bought this because I was looking for an Odyssey, but this was cheaper and had more seating capacity. We went from a minivan to this, and believe it or not the kids absolutely love it. They tell me it is the most comfortable and spacious vehicle we've had. The only negative I can find is the headrests, what were they thinking with this design? Everything else is superbly designed and easy to control. Wonderful, wonderful in snow, and I thought the minivan with traction control was pretty awesome, but now I don't know how we survived. I considered other brands of vehicles, but Hondas have been so good to us, I can easily justify the higher price for the comfort of knowing we will not be stranded or visiting the dealer bi-weekly for nuisance problems like we were with our amazingly comfortable but increasingly problematic american made minivan.

love the pilot..but bummed at honda right now

by football mom from Marysville,Ohio | October 19, 2010

We bought our used 2003 Honda Pilot in 2007..We loved the room and we bought a Honda because it's suppose to be reliable and run forever... now here I am with a vehicle I've had only 3 yrs with 95,288 miles and the transmission is need of replacement!!!!!??? It's gonna cost $3000 but we are getting another opinion..I just can't believe that I would need a new transmission when the vehicle is only 7yrs old????

Done with Honda

by Trish from Orange County, CA | September 4, 2010

I purchased my used 2003 Honda in March of 2009. I was impressed with the vehicle. It drove smooth, felt safe, the interior leather was well maintained, and there was enough room for my kids and all of their belongings which traveled back and forth. The major mechanical problems began about a month and a half later after the purchase. There was a leak in the gas line. Tried to take it back to the dealer for maintenance, but the so called warrantee did not cover it. The mechanics then tried to over bill me for the work that was going to be needed. I went to another dealer for a second opinion. They were somewhat better however, later on down the line I found out that quite a few dealers do not visually inspect the cars while you are waiting, they just attach it to a diagnostic machine. Something obvious can be over looked and end up costing much more in repairs later on because of this process. Three months later...another major issue, and so on and so forth. Every three to four months something else had to be repaired or replaced. The last two were the radiator and thermostate. All repairs started from at least $700 and went up from there. I took my SUV in to get an oil change recently. The dealer did a free inspection of the vehicle. Future repairs needed will cost another $4,578. Yes, I did get another opinion.

Featured Services for this Honda Pilot