2005 Honda Pilot

17 city / 22 hwy

Overall

GREAT LARGE FAMILY SUV!

by Daddy of 6 from Chesterfield Virginia | August 8, 2013

We love our 2005 Pilot. 79000 miles and purrs ... NO ISSUES ever! BIG and safe SUV. Make sure you have young kids for the third seat. It won't work for long trips with teens - not enough leg room.

Love this car

by RoamingNav from Ames, IA | December 23, 2012

We bought our pilot used a month ago. Already it has snowed and proven itself very effective on steep inclines and normal driving. I am 6'1 and found the driver side seating very comfortable with a commanding view of the road. The steering is responsive. You can feel the road as you drive. The console controls feel a little far away from the driver. However the steering wheel stereo and cruise controls are convenient and make up for the distance to the center console buttons. We have found the folding 3rd row most helpful and look forward to trying them out with our friends after the twins arrive.

Its a Honda!!

by Ace from Maryland | December 11, 2012

This is probably the most reliable car I have ever owned. This Honda just keeps on going like new. I service the car regularly, and it just keeps performing. I had only 1 minor problem with it besides routine maintenance, and that was an $100 o2 sensor. It has 194,000 miles and is running strong. No leaks and no problems. Want to see if I can get 300,000 miles, and I expect I can.

Great SUV. Loved it!

by Young mom and professional from Colorado Springs, CO | September 1, 2012

I had this SUV for a few years and loved it! Very roomy, comfy and just a great car! Never had mechanical issues and traded it in at 114,000 miles. I only got rid of it to get a newer, "sportier" vehicle. (4Runner) it was roomy enough to really seat 8 and move 6 foot book shelves etc. Great in the snow, rain, on road trips etc. I would highly recommend this car.

Best value SUV

by Neej. from | March 24, 2012

Honda is built to last! Great SUV, roomy interior, somooth ride. and good on gas mileage. Best SUV I ever owned! P.S. Mario if still interested in purchasing SUV, please call again couldn't get your phone number.

Love the Pilot

by bebe from Englewood, CO | November 28, 2011

I love the 60/40 split of the 3rd row. I really wanted to Toyota Highlander however the 3rd row was all or nothing in the models we looked at.

Transmission sucks

by G-RO from Poughkeepsie NY | September 17, 2011

After all the Honda cars I have owned in the past, I must say I was very disappointed to find that Honda's reputation failed me and many other Honda Pilot owners. I bought this car brand spanking new with 7 miles on it, come to find out 6yrs and under 100k miles later, the torque convertor is bad. Searched online and found more than 250 2005 pilot owners have had the same problem "Needed a new transmission". I haven't had it fixed yet but will be in the shop soon. Come to find out that, Honda is well aware of this problem and refuses to recall or fix the issue & it usually happens between 79k - 110k or Just when the extended warranty expires. Apparently, from 3 different mechanics, Honda cut costs by not putting in a large enough transmission to accommodate the size and weight of the vehicle. So now, 6yrs. , a tsunami, & an earthquake later, parts are hard to come by for this vehicle and a backlog on shipping too. Parts for this Tranny almost tripled in price because Japan is in dire straits. I love my pilot and all I ever owned was Honda's & was extremely disappointed. The reason the high rating, is everything else is Honda quality including the engine. Mechanic (who is a friend) said once the problem is corrected, it should run (like all Honda's do) forever. *whatever that means*. I love everything else about this car, but I never expected having to dish out 4G's for a Car with a supposedly Excellent Honda reputation from yrs past. It was either fix it or trade it in and have a car payment. I opted for fixing it. So all u Honda Pilot owners out there, DO NOT rely on the engine or transmission light, (my indicator light still hasn't come on showing a problem) Get the Diff fluid changed (approx. $100) and the transmission fluid changed (approx. $140) and make sure the fluids are all from Honda &maybe you will luck out and not have a problem (apparently Honda only makes cars to coincide with THEIR fluids -they monopolized this- or you may have a different problem). Don't get me wrong, everything else I am extremely satisfied with, Like I said I LOVE my car, but when you have to come up with the $$ for a new Transmission, you would be disgruntled too. Hope this helped a lot of you Pilot owners out there, New & Old. Good Luck from New York. P.S. all the happy Pilot owners who bought this vehicle used and it has the mileage btwn the above mentioned, I bet you the Transmission is not original, it was probably fixed. Check it Out!!!

Watch those transmissions

by Boo-urns from Chicago, IL | October 11, 2010

Needed a new transmission at 68,829 miles and six-and-a-half years. Guess who did not care? Honda USA of course! We are not the exception, even though Honda acted like we were at first. After citing many reports online and the NHTSA reports, they did agree it is a problem, and offered a whopping $600 off for labor. Now I know how all those Acura and Honda owners from 2003 feel. See you Honda! Lost the same amount on trade as if I had gotten it fixed and it was worth it not to give them another penny. And plenty of dealers were happy to take the trade.

Best car i ever had

by sold on honda pilot from Middle River, MD | August 5, 2010

My husband and I are so pleased with our 2005 Honda Pilot we just purchased. It is reliable and handles the road like a well fit glove.

Great SUV

by MATT from NH | July 15, 2010

Overall this is a great SUV. It has plenty of space in the trunk and is very comfortable. I really like being able to control the radio from the steering wheel as well. This SUV handle more like a car than a typical SUV. It is very smooth. The driver's seat is a little uncomfotable during long trips for me, but everyone else enjoys the ride. The styling is fine, but the newer Pilots are much more aggressive. I got a great deal on my SUV and would highly recommend it.