2012 Honda Pilot

Available in 8 styles:  2012 Honda Pilot 4dr 4x4 shown

Overall

very happy so far

by randalf from Ohio | August 17, 2014

We bought the 2012 Pilot LX 4WD used at 21500 miles, and after 5000 miles I am not disappointed at all. We bought the car primarily for my wife for business use (house cleaning). There are a few things I wish were better, but overall we are happy with the Pilot. Driving: I like the way it purrs down the road. Honda must have improved the cabin noise issue from previous years. The engine seems to switch in and out of eco mode seamlessly; I have rarely felt a little hesitation when it changes, but nothing like what has been reported by some reviewers. Acceleration is good for the size of the vehicle, thanks to 6 cylinders. Gas mileage has been great, averaging 21.5 in all conditions and almost 26 on long freeway trips. Cruise control seems to work well. The overall size is manageable in parking lots; the wheelbase is slightly shorter than my van, but it is also a few inches wider. The high front nose makes it a little difficult to judge how close you are to the car in front when parking. Interior: I find the front and middle seating to be comfortable enough on long drives. There is a little bit of padding on the surfaces for the driver’s elbows, but otherwise pretty hard plastic. Pockets are everywhere. I don’t really like the A/C-heater controls. I still have to take my eyes off the road to turn the fan up or down; why not have a simple knob? Getting to the third row is easy enough, but the third row seats are pretty uncomfortable due to the high floor; unless you are a child, your knees are way up. I really wish the LX had audio controls on the steering wheel; to me this is a safety issue. Rear cargo area: From the outside, it looks like there would be tons of space, but when I opened the back I was surprised that the height of the cargo area was shorter than I thought. Of course I was comparing to my Honda van, which is cavernous! With the middle seats folded down the area is nice, shorter than I thought, but still larger than the competitors. Personally I haven’t found a use for the rear window opening, but maybe someone else uses it. Exterior: It looks big and boxy, just what you should expect with an SUV. The vehicle is set up for towing, except for the wiring? Seems silly to me. I bought a kit to install the wiring myself, and it was pretty simple. The dealer would have charged $400 to do it. I like the fact that you can have a full size spare underneath (which affects the floor height of the cargo area).

my 3rd pilot

by my 3rd pilot from | January 31, 2014

most roomiest suv for this price range. gas mileage are not so great but better that others of this size.

Very Good

by Prince William from Oregon | November 9, 2013

Basically an excellent car with lots of functionality. The interfaces are not always intuitive for example the data info menus take some time to get used to. Major niggle is the passenger front seat only has backwards and forward movement no elevation what a travesty with all the other benefits available.

Declining quality compared to earlier hondas

by papilot from Easton, PA | September 16, 2013

I have had my 2012 for 1.5 years now and 25,000 miles later. No major issues to date that left me stranded, getting the AC noise hopefully fixed this friday and warped rotors already. What is concerning is the vibration at 70mph. I would be cautious when buying this car, there is something going on here with the cylinder deactivation system. My car was fine till around 23k and then all of a sudden I have vibration coming from the front into the steering wheel and car. Its not alot but can tell its from the engine. Set the car at cruise 70mph on flat road, let it start to climb uphill slowly in eco mode and you will feel the vibration. Favorite Features Tons and tons of space. Love the storage area in the cargo floor. I keep all my towing supplies in there, a small tool set, an air pump and more! Tons of cup holders for long drives and also the spaces to put things is great. I had looked at a 4 runner and really prefered that style however it had no place to put anything. Seats I believe are more comfortable than the current highlander. Suggested Improvements Need armrests without edges, would be nice to have a nice padded arm rest. Better cruise control unit that keeps you at the set speed and does not vary up and down. Toyota's never did this. HD radio standard.

LOVE IT

by SUV Lover from Dallas | September 14, 2013

Honda Pilot is the best SUV by far! This is our third SUV, beats the Terrain by far. Great QUALITY. Great performance. LOVE IT

Poor Quality

by Not happy with Honda from Massachusetts | August 16, 2013

After researching SUVs, my husband and I purchased a Honda Pilot because it seemed to be a great value for the money. Unfortunately, I have discovered that you get what you pay for. At 19, 000 miles the brakes started to cause vibrations when applied. It turns out that I had to replace the front rotors (at >$500). Honda's response, it must be the way you are braking. Look on line; There are all kinds of complaints about warping rotors which Honda states is not covered by warranty. I have been driving for 35 years - everything from antique corvettes to Volvo station wagons to Toyota Sequoias and even a 2008 Honda CRV - and I never had to prematurely replace rotors or even brake pads. This item is not the only quality issue with this vehicle!

2012 Pilot Review

by PilotSeeker from Las Vegas, NV | August 13, 2013

At first glance and driving this vehicle, I had the sense it was roomier and possibly bigger on the outside. And that is the case compared to our older 2005 Pilot. It has many features you'd find on more luxurious models, like Mercedes and Lexus. But I'll gladly take the Honda as we are confident it will be as reliable or better than our 2005 model. We drove it over 150,000 miles with no issues whatsover. My daughter is now driving it for her own. I also drive a 1999 Acura goiong on 165,000 miles without any issues. My other daughter drives a Civic. Get the picture?

2012 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD

by Tootsie from Sacramento CA | July 18, 2013

We have traded our 2011 Honda Odyssey for this car. Dont;t get me wrong on this van. We love the Odyssey but we need SUV (4WD) that can fit our outdoor lifestyle. My wife loved the Touring edition and is happy with the purchase as well as the trade-in value of the van. Dealership at Marin Honda treated us like a family and no pressure in this sale. I actually put the numbers high and they make an effort to meet us to where we are comfortable with the payment based on our set budget. I would highly recommend this dealership. I personally think that big Auto Mall dealers thinks high of themselves but the Marin Honda treats like you are welcome even if you don't buy from these. This is what I really love. And lastly, did I mentioned that the service is excellent! I found dings here and there but no questions asked they fixed it and they even gave me a rental car so as not to wait long hours. Thank you!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

5 STARS

by GOGU from MILWAUKEE. WI | April 7, 2013

WHAT A NICE EXPERIENCE AT WILDE HONDA. DAN SIMION AND HIS MANAGEMENT DID A GREAT JOB!! THANK YOU !

Great car, great experience

by New buyer from Dartmouth, MA | December 12, 2012

My 2012 Honda pilot is a really great car. Special thanks to Joe Zekus at colonial Honda for guiding me in the right direction. The experience at colonial Honda was excellent.